Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-10, 01:14 PM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Trolling Motor Issue

I have a Minn Kota 70lb thrust trolling motor foot controlled on my boat. Last couple of times out it has been acting up. It will all of a sudden just quit working. I will raise it out of water to see that it isn't turning. Then drop it back in, raise it back out and it will start working again. Not a big deal but this may be the start of something. I don't think i have a loose wire but who knows what it could be.

Seems to happen after i have been out for a few hours. I just wonder if something is overheating etc.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 04:12 PM   #2
jwm2201
BassFishin.Com Member

Check continuity of the hot and ground wires then check resistance across the motor itself, sounds like a short probably in the motor windings.
jwm2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-10, 05:18 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Could be in the button on the pedal. Check it as well.
Old 10-28-10, 07:43 AM   #4
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thanks for the advice. Will check those out.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-10, 08:58 AM   #5
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Loose connection either outside of unit or inside,possible rheostat in the foot control,doubtful if a short as would never do it again,as fusable links(control board) once broken just wouldn't work.A loose connection is an open circuit not a short.

Like two loose wires touch together it works,take apart it doesn't. Even a bridge inside the circuit board can make and break when overheating.

Check for external loose connections then see if anything internal has a loose wire on a terminal..
If board is suspect it can be rebuilt or a replacement bought-that would be fairly expensive.

I had one years ago did the same took head off and wire was merely touching connector terminal not on it.Result pulls more amps and will separate.

Older boats had smaller wiring than nowdays, and over a time just dont make a good a connection after a lot of usage,also to check motor you should have 1 set of 12 v wiring and one of 24v,even if one failed in armature and I doubt it other would work most likely.

Have a 70 mk myself just a hand control.I ran a second set of wires to mine to double the wiring, and only have the 24 hooked up.

Last edited by lilmule; 10-28-10 at 09:05 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 09:03 AM   #6
Brute
BassFishin.Com Member

You might want to check the breaker as well.
Mine would work for a while and then just quit.
I had it in the shop for repair under warranty and it still did the same thing.
I was ready to replace it but figured I try the breaker first.
It apparently got wet and was shorting out when hot.

Brute
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-10, 08:42 PM   #7
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Loose connection either outside of unit or inside,possible rheostat in the foot control,doubtful if a short as would never do it again,as fusable links(control board) once broken just wouldn't work.A loose connection is an open circuit not a short.

Like two loose wires touch together it works,take apart it doesn't. Even a bridge inside the circuit board can make and break when overheating.

Check for external loose connections then see if anything internal has a loose wire on a terminal..
If board is suspect it can be rebuilt or a replacement bought-that would be fairly expensive.

I had one years ago did the same took head off and wire was merely touching connector terminal not on it.Result pulls more amps and will separate.

Older boats had smaller wiring than nowdays, and over a time just dont make a good a connection after a lot of usage,also to check motor you should have 1 set of 12 v wiring and one of 24v,even if one failed in armature and I doubt it other would work most likely.

Have a 70 mk myself just a hand control.I ran a second set of wires to mine to double the wiring, and only have the 24 hooked up.
+1, this is a great description of what could be happening with your motor.
+1 also on the double set of wires and straight 24V. I have the hand control MK 74LB thrust and disabled the parallel setup and used the wiring to double it up on a series set up. No problems and haven't blown a fuse or circuit breaker since doing it.
Old 11-06-10, 01:39 AM   #8
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Mine did the exact thing. I reached down and wiggled the plug in... Problem fixed.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-10, 02:05 PM   #9
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Embry, you just hit on something i just thought of bud. We all need to check the plug area, if there is corrosion in the socket it won't have a good connection. We all need to clean that area every so often when we do our maint. Thanks for reminding me man.
Old 11-06-10, 02:13 PM   #10
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Embry, you just hit on something i just thought of bud. We all need to check the plug area, if there is corrosion in the socket it won't have a good connection. We all need to clean that area every so often when we do our maint. Thanks for reminding me man.
I keep mine coated with a little dab of lithium grease (bearing grease), same thing with my battery terminals. ZERO corrosion problems

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.