Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-11, 09:56 PM   #1
PondBassin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Neighborhood Pond

Hey guys,

I've got a couple of questions regarding how to approach fishing at a neighborhood pond. The pond I'm fishing at is closer to a lake than a pond; it's pretty big. BUT, here's the important part. It is fished by only ONE person. This person however, fishes the lake EVERY day for multiple hours. He's mastered the lake as it's in his backyard and he's fished it for over 10 years. He brings in constantly big fish every time, but has also seriously pressured the fish of the lake. Every single fish in this lake knows the sound of his paddle boat or the splashing of his canoe, yet he still manages to catch them. Me, on the otherhand, not so much luck. I've fished with him before and I don't know if it's the season or the pressure but the number caught has gone down significantly. He usually sticks to the same baits, zoom trick worms, buzzbaits, and zara spooks, and for the first time in his fishing career, has switched baits and is now almost exclusively fly fishing. This has been going on for aboout three or four months, also the amount of time since I've been there.

The question I'm asking is should I just go to one of his old successful baits? Or should I try something new (any suggestions?)? The pond at its deepest point is eight feet and is a couple of acres. It has points and droppoffs (though not significant) and it has two VERY shallow creeks. Should I try up in or near those creeks? Where should I be looking now that it is fall time? This is my first time serious bass fishing in the fall, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If you have any questions just post a reply and I'll answer em.

Thanks, PB
PondBassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11, 10:38 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First off I would talk to this person and ask him lots of questions. If he likes you enough to take you fishing he probably will be glad to answer them all. Did he say he switched to fly's after 10 years because he had caught all the otherwise catchable fish out? or because after 10 years of worms and such he forgot how? or got bored? or what? Does he always keep every fish he's ever caught while fishing several hours each day?? How big is this pond really? (search Google Planimeter...follow the instructions and find out for yourself) As far as a way to catch some fish immediately..try being there at daybreak or sundown or both with a handful of lures those fish have never seen before..Rapalas-crankbaits-spinnerbaits-senkos etc..fished on the lightest lines conditions will allow. Keep us posted on how you do.
Old 10-19-11, 08:49 PM   #3
PondBassin
BassFishin.Com Member

I've asked him plenty of questions, and he likes me enough. I've been fishing with him multiple times and have asked him for his techniques. However, he's just that person that wants to be bragging about the 5 pounder at the end of the day, and not be the one hearing about it... he doesn't really give his best-kept secrets unless you really berate him with it for a while.
Anyway, the reason why he switched to fly fishing was because he was on again off again, and he's really gotten back into it now. Not because the fishing was getting poor, just because he likes to change things up every once and a while.
Thanks for the reply and I'll tell you how I do... I'm going out there Saturday.
PB
Old 10-20-11, 07:25 PM   #4
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think if you continue to fish this pond frequently you'll catch your share of good fish. Cover a lot of water and use a variety of lures. Chances are this other guy has his success due to his knowledge of fish habits and locations, not the specific lures.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 07:17 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

A couple acres isn't that much water to cover so you should be able to try several techniques in a short time. And at 8 foot max depth, topwaters should be successful just about anywhere. I'd start by keying in on the areas that normally hold fish. Points are always good transition areas to start with, especially in the fall. Also, you could think of lures he has NOT been using. Offering something the fish havn't seen on a regular basis could be the winning ticket. A swim jig in water like you described sounds to me like a very good option. It's quiet, and covers shallow water very well. And not many fish have seen them as it's a technique that is really just starting to catch on. And if I were able to fish the pond, I'd definately be working a spinnerbait and jig wherever those creeks run close to cover, especially creek bends.
Old 10-23-11, 07:33 PM   #6
PondBassin
BassFishin.Com Member

I wasn't able to fish this weekend, so we're going to go out next weekend. I'll keep you guys posted. And thanks for the tips.
PB
Old 10-23-11, 08:09 PM   #7
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

texas rigged baby brush hog in pumpkin... havent found a pond that doesnt love this bait yet. most of my fishing is ponds and i throw baby brush hog and 10 inch culprit worm 90% of the time.. 9% is crankbaits and the 1% is stuff that doesnt work haha
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.