Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-11, 10:53 AM   #1
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Sun Glasses

I think good Glasses are important to have when fishing... I want to get some with different lenses for cloudy days and sunny days. Oakley has good stuff and so does Coasta del mar. I love my maui jims but i lost a pair and i bent another frame... This is why i want to go to a plastic frame so im not bending them all the time. Any recomendations?
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 11:12 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I have wore Oakleys for several years. But last year I bought a pair of Costa Del Mars and I can safely say they are the nicest glasses I have ever worn. The lenses are much higher in quality than any other glasses I have ever owned and as a result I not only see in the water much better but my eyes feel much better at the end of the day. The pair I have are Man-O-Wars with the silver 580 glass lenses. I can not recommend the 580 glass lenses enough. I tried on both the 400 lenses and the plastic 580s (580p) and although they are nice, the difference in quality from the plastic to the glass is more than worth the price difference in my opinion. I was affraid that the glass lenses would be too heavy but when I tried them on I was surprised that they were actually lighter than the plastic lenses. There is some info on how they accomplish the light weight or the glass lenses as well as what makes them so good on Costas website.
Old 09-30-11, 12:01 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

+1 on the glass cdm's
Old 09-30-11, 12:04 PM   #4
joedog

Ok this may surprise some of you. FISHGILLZ, extreme clarity, light weight, strong frames, good scratch resistance on lense and to top it off they float, no annoying cord to distract you through out the day on the back of your neck. I've owned a lot of premuim sunglasses and have broke, scratched or bent most of them! At $49.95 you can buy a gray lense for all around, a amber lense for early morning early evening or overcast skies and a yellow for night ( told Fishgillz actually enhances or brightens low light), remember the cost is for a complete pair, case and lens cloth included. Case also floats. If you watch out you can probably even find a Two for one sale which they have more frequently then one would think. For $150 you can have three pair for almost all conditions and still have money left to buy the Monkey desert ( more tackle)! You will be amazed on the clarity, I being no expert feel that these will stand up against Coasta (which I own), Oakley (which Ive owned 2 pair, both broke or lense scaratched) or just about any premuim sunglasses out there. Those on a budget, definitely check out, those that hate sunglass teathers on your neck, definitely check out, those who want multiple lense colors, definitely check out, those who are just bored or curious, check out thier web page I may never buy another brand again. Oh ya they make great driving glasses too. Forgot to mention, they weigh 1/2 oz., you'll forget you have them on! And I've owned a couple of pair for years and have yet to destroy even one pair (now have four pair) or even scratch a lense. Now, even though it may sound like it, I have no royalty contract with FISHGILLZ, just very happy I stumbled across them years ago!

Last edited by joedog; 09-30-11 at 12:37 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 12:45 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Ok this may surprise some of you. FISHGILLZ, extreme clarity, light weight, strong frames, good scratch resistance on lense and to top it off they float, no annoying cord to distract you through out the day on the back of your neck. I've owned a lot of premuim sunglasses and have broke, scratched or bent most of them! At $49.95 you can buy a gray lense for all around, a amber lense for early morning early evening or overcast skies and a yellow for night ( told Fishgillz actually enhances or brightens low light), remember the cost is for a complete pair, case and lens cloth included. Case also floats. If you watch out you can probably even find a Two for one sale which they have more frequently then one would think. For $150 you can have three pair for almost all conditions and still have money left to buy the Monkey desert ( more tackle)! You will be amazed on the clarity, I being no expert feel that these will stand up against Coasta (which I own), Oakley (which Ive owned 2 pair, both broke or lense scaratched) or just about any premuim sunglasses out there. Those on a budget, definitely check out, those that hate sunglass teathers on your neck, definitely check out, those who want multiple lense colors, definitely check out, those who are just bored or curious, check out thier web page I may never buy another brand again. Oh ya they make great driving glasses too. Forgot to mention, they weigh 1/2 oz., you'll forget you have them on! And I've owned a couple of pair for years and have yet to destroy even one pair (now have four pair) or even scratch a lense. Now, even though it may sound like it, I have no royalty contract with FISHGILLZ, just very happy I stumbled across them years ago!
I have looked at FISHGILLZ on the website in the past and really don't have an answer for why I never bought them other than I don't have a dealer close by and I want to try sunglasses on before I buy. They do seem to be a good pair of sunglasses from what I can tell though.
Old 09-30-11, 01:19 PM   #6
joedog

Carolina, try that great cloths and shoe retailer...Gander Mountain. I was told they carry them but your right retailers are hard to find and sunglasses are definitly better to try on first.......I wasn't going to add this but I will........I hate sending anyone to a cloths retailor for fishing supplies!!!! Ya, I'm not a fan of Gander, when I go into the local store, the fishing dept. manager meets my at the door and states " Joe I don't have what your lookig for, try Walmart. " This is before I even ask for anything. Wanted 2 ought weighted hooks, none, one year early in the season I went in for #2, #3 wide gap bass hooks, had none, not even a empty hook where they used to be. Ya I'm not impressed with gander and remember I live in a river town.

Last edited by joedog; 09-30-11 at 01:32 PM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 01:43 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
Carolina, try that great cloths and shoe retailer...Gander Mountain. I was told they carry them but your right retailers are hard to find and sunglasses are definitly better to try on first.......I wasn't going to add this but I will........I hate sending anyone to a cloths retailor for fishing supplies!!!! Ya, I'm not a fan of Gander, when I go into the local store, the fishing dept. manager meets my at the door and states " Joe I don't have what your lookig for, try Walmart. " This is before I even ask for anything. Wanted 2 ought weighted hooks, none, one year early in the season I went in for #2, #3 wide gap bass hooks, had none, not even a empty hook where they used to be. Ya I'm not impressed with gander and remember I live in a river town.
We don't have a Gander Mountain anywhere near here, I don't even know where the closest one is. I love my Costas so much that I don't think I will ever move to another brand but if I do I would probably give FISHGILLZ a look.
Old 09-30-11, 02:07 PM   #8
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've got a pair of CDM's with 3 sets of interchangable lenses. I've got dark grey, amber, and yellow. I was worried the lenses might pop out while I was fishing but haven't had any problems after a little over a year. The lenses are really easy to change out also. You can find them on Ebay pretty cheap.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-11, 04:00 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'm in the process of picking out a pair for my new Rx sun glasses and have tried on a couple different kinds. The most comfortable have been a couple pair of the Wiley X glasses. They also look cool and on the cheaper side of the ones I've looked at. They'll probably be my choice after I get my Rx updated.

BB
Old 09-30-11, 06:17 PM   #10
Jrob78

I wear polarized Oakley Fives right now. I've worn Oakleys since I was in highschool and have probably owned 10 or 12 pair since then. If I ever stray from Oakley, it will probably be to try out Costa's glass lenses. Glasses are something that I will never go cheap on, they are too important and I wear them any and every time I'm outside.
Old 09-30-11, 08:46 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

There is a pair of Costas for sale in the classifieds forum right now at a great price if anyone is in the market.
Old 10-02-11, 12:25 PM   #12
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

Bought a pair of Wiley X this year and they are my new prefered brand , plus the most comfortable.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 09:01 AM   #13
gonefishin3

Do you guys know witch cdm have interchangeable lenses? do yall think it is important to have different lenses?
Old 10-03-11, 10:33 AM   #14
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
Do you guys know witch cdm have interchangeable lenses? do yall think it is important to have different lenses?
I am pretty sure you can change the lenses out in any of the Costas, you would just have to buy the lenses you want. I am sure there are benifits to having lenses that you can change out when conditions warrant it, but personally I want one lense color that works well for everything rather than having to keep 3 or 4 pairs of lenses in the boat. My Man-O-Wars are Silver frames and Silver lenses. The lenses are excellent for bright sunny days as well as overcast days but what I really needed out of them was sight fishing abilities and they are the best sight fishing glasses I have ever worn. The cool thing about the Man-O-Wars is that they have removable shields that snap on or off in about 3 seconds, the shields are great for blocking sun from coming in around the corner of the glasses but you can pop them off and they are styling and profiling for a night on the town lol.

Here is a pic of me on the water this past weekend in my Costas, and here is a spare pair of Bill Dance sunglasses I caught. I will make you a great deal on the Dance glasses.

Old 10-03-11, 10:54 AM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I just bought a pair of Oakley Pit Bulls (Fishing Specific) with the light blue lens. I love em and they are light. They are a little oversized, but they block out any light like a welding hood and the lighter blue lens is good for all the conditions....except rain.
Old 10-03-11, 11:05 AM   #16
gonefishin3

What color lense do you use for rain?
Old 10-03-11, 11:25 AM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
I don't wear sunglasses in the rain.
Old 10-03-11, 12:11 PM   #18
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I don't wear sunglasses in the rain.
C'mon man, don't lie like that....

Quote:
He wears pink lenses in the rain.

Last edited by MississippiBoy; 10-03-11 at 03:12 PM.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 01:52 PM   #19
66KingFisher

I've never spent over $25 on a pair of sunglasses and most likely never will....But I can tell you that forgetting my cheap pair of sunglasses and spending a sunny day on the water without any eye protection is just down right blinding and more then my old eyes can take anymore.....Dang.....Thats the position I found myself yesterday and today my eye's are still aching and I still see spots from it.....So even your a poorboy like me and can only afford cheap sunglasses, make sure you have a pair with you.
Old 10-03-11, 03:00 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
C'mon man, don't lie like that....

He wears pink lenses in the rain.

I wasn't being a smart alec, I was just being honest.
Old 10-03-11, 03:09 PM   #21
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
I wasn't being a smart alec, I was just being honest.
I know, I was trying to poke fun at you, but apparently the site with the picture I wanted to link to doesn't like me doing that, so the joke didn't work. I tried another site with the same picture....let's see if that works.
Old 10-03-11, 03:23 PM   #22
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I know, I was trying to poke fun at you, but apparently the site with the picture I wanted to link to doesn't like me doing that, so the joke didn't work. I tried another site with the same picture....let's see if that works.
Oh I get it,I didn't say it was funny though

Ok it was a little funny lol.
Old 10-03-11, 04:22 PM   #23
F16 1UB

Default My Script Is Too Strong

Would love to get something that wraps more around my face but due to heavy duty prescription can't because of possible lense distortion. I've gone to Lense Crafters to get polarized RX lineless bi-fo's for 20 yrs. Tried once at SAMS. Notice I said once. Wound up back at Lense Crafters.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 01:03 PM   #24
PAfisher76
BassFishin.Com Member

On rainy or cloudy days your best option would be yellow or amber lenses.
PAfisher76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-11, 09:24 AM   #25
BERKLEY83

All I can say is costa all the way and agree 580 lenses all the way best glasses on the market and I'll tell you what my dad told me you only get one set of eyes take care of them
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.