Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-11, 04:41 AM   #26
F16 1UB
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Yikes

This sounds as though it'd be a helluva time to quit drinkin.
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 05:20 AM   #27
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Sorry you are having this trouble G fishin. But what you are going through is very common. It's easy to read posts from guys that have been cleaning their own reels and asking questions here and then assume that it's something you could easily do to your own reels. The truth is that most everyone screws up on the first several reels they mess with. Every year i get dozens of reels sent to my shop where the reel has been taken apart and the owner couldn't get it back together or lost several parts. We call those reels in a bag and I have to charge an extra fee for most of them as I sort through a bag full of parts and try to figure out whats missing and how it goes back together. As I have said before, if someone is intent on doing thier own service, they should start by buying some old used reels from ebay and taking those reels apart. When you can do that several times without losing parts or losing track of where the parts go, you might be ready to tackle your own reel. The thing is, several parts such as that worm gear assembley have a specific way that everything fits just right. The tube has to fully sit into the C shapeed slots in the plastic bushings and the bushings have to fully be seated into the side covers. Sometimes thats very hard for an experienced person to get together. When it's right, the end of the shaft will have the C clip groove protruding through with just enogh room to pop the C clip in place, but you still have to have a very good pair of small needle nose pliers to pop that clip in place and it can still pop off and fly accross the room even then, it can also get bent out of shape and never stay on again. Thats why you should order replacement parts such as all the clips and retainers and have extras on hand before you take a reel apart that you will need that week. I have every size clip there is, but i would have to have yours here to compare because i don't have them by part number. And Tavery is correct, that was your ceramic pawl. Some pawls are very close in size but most are never the same unless they are from the same line guide components. Using the wron size pawl could ruin the worm gear or line guide. You will need to order a new one along with an assortment of clips from Quantum customer service, or put it in a bag and send it to me or another reel tech of your choice.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 07:07 AM   #28
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'm slightly surprised a quantum tour has a plastic pawl... but only slightly.

BB
Old 10-05-11, 08:20 AM   #29
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I'm slightly surprised a quantum tour has a plastic pawl... but only slightly.

BB
It's not plastic, it's ceramic. I don't know if he dropped it or how it got broke, but ceramic pawls are much higher quality and much more expensive than the cheap steel pawls in say a Daiwa reel.
Old 10-05-11, 09:41 AM   #30
gonefishin3

Yeah it took me like 30 min to get the worm gear assembly back correctly but I got it.. that sucks about the pawl. I would have thought you wanted steel? See I had a 40 dollar wallmart reel I had taken apart and put back together and I felt comfortable... cause I hadent lost or broken anything guess I was just lucky. I noticed how much heavier the worm gear was in the wallmart reel.... I guess to an extent all the high dollar baitcasters are just trying to get lighter reels? I can't imagine the delicacy of a steez.. would a pawl from a quantum tour kvd series fit the regular tour series? Does anyone know? :/ im definately eventually gonna get the hang of this im determined this reel came off my main worming rod hahaha hence why I kinda need it :P oh well ill find another reel... I also lost the c clip off the wallmart reel.. I was gonna put the worm gear and the pawl from the wallmart reel in my tour but the gears didn't fit right so I didn't..
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 09:44 AM   #31
gonefishin3

Also Pro Reel... you have opened up a lot of reels... what reel has the internal parts you like best? You say diawa had a cheep steel piece and quantum has a very good quality ceramic piece what about the different parts of the reel? Thanks,
GF3
Old 10-05-11, 10:15 AM   #32
gonefishin3

http://www.quantumfishing.com/Custom...ProductID=3566

part 13b isnt availiable... the e clip i need is 20 cents though

http://www.quantumfishing.com/produc...dition-PT.aspx

but part 13b is availible here???

since im gonna be ordering parts.... what parts shuld i get to have extras on hand?

Last edited by gonefishin3; 10-05-11 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-05-11, 01:52 PM   #33
pro reel

Basically, the most common parts to lose are E clips and bearing retainer clips. The bearing clips are shaped like a pentagon with one side open. Those fly into outer space and float around the moon or something because i have lost so many that my floor should be covered with them. Ceramic pawls are much harder than steel pawls, therefore they will last a lot longer. Quantum is the only brand currently using them. Some aftermarket places have them that fit several of the most popular reels and thats a common upgrade that some enthusiasts like to do. The only way to know if one part from one reel fits another is to check and measure to be sure if it looks similar. Use a high quality caliper to measure parts. The shims that go under the pawl cap that look like tiny little washers are good to have some around so when a pawl does wear a bit, you can add one to get it just flush with top of the threaded area. Those are called pawl spacers by most companies. Also, any brass or copper shims, those get damaged easy and can't be reused if they get bent.
Old 10-05-11, 03:07 PM   #34
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
It's not plastic, it's ceramic. I don't know if he dropped it or how it got broke, but ceramic pawls are much higher quality and much more expensive than the cheap steel pawls in say a Daiwa reel.
That makes much more sense. I didn't know they made ceramic pawls. The hardness of ceramic could definitely be an advantage, but the brittleness of ceramics could pose a problem (as shown by the OP).

So if all the other companies use metal pawls, why does it seem that they wear out so often on Abu reels? The Revos are built like tanks, it seems odd to have such a common problem.

And those little bearing retainer clips are a PITA! I've been lucky; I've been able to find the couple I've shot across the room, lol.

BB
Old 10-05-11, 03:18 PM   #35
pro reel

Quote:
That makes much more sense. I didn't know they made ceramic pawls. The hardness of ceramic could definitely be an advantage, but the brittleness of ceramics could pose a problem (as shown by the OP).

So if all the other companies use metal pawls, why does it seem that they wear out so often on Abu reels? The Revos are built like tanks, it seems odd to have such a common problem.

And those little bearing retainer clips are a PITA! I've been lucky; I've been able to find the couple I've shot across the room, lol.

BB
ROFLMAO
Who told you that abu has a problem with worn out pawls? Thats a laugh. Abu has the the best quality steel pawls on the market, all but the cheapest abu reels have the everslick coating on them. The only Abu pawls I replace are in reels that had dirt and grit in the worm gear, no reel can withstand that without chewing itself up. I'm sorry, but i think you have been listening to the Daiwa fanboys at TT a little to much.
Old 10-05-11, 03:26 PM   #36
gonefishin3

When you guys say "flush out" your bearings what is meant by that? do i need something from quantom to do that?
Old 10-05-11, 03:31 PM   #37
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
When you guys say "flush out" your bearings what is meant by that? do i need something from quantom to do that?
No. Thats another learned artform of reel maintenance. To flush out a bearing means to completly clean the inside to bare metal with no trace of the old lubricant. One method is to put the bearings in a jar of acetone or lighter fluid and set that jar in an ultrasonic cleaner with water around the jar. You replace the dirty acetone several times until it stays gin clear, then you dry the bearing with an air nozzel hooked to a compressor that has good water traps.
Old 10-05-11, 04:09 PM   #38
gonefishin3

Do I need spare parts for this? Lol
Old 10-05-11, 04:48 PM   #39
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin3 View Post
Do I need spare parts for this? Lol
Just if you lose the retainer clips or if you drop the bearing on a concrete floor.
Old 10-05-11, 05:12 PM   #40
Crankbait

Pro reels is just that…..a Pro. Opening up a reel isn’t for every one but I say do two things….one have your schematics for your reel, two take pictures as you disassemble your reel. There are quite a few parts in your reel but as you get one apart and back together it becomes a little more easy. The problem happens when you are unfamiliar with many small parts and how they go back together. Does this piece lay this way or that way……pictures help and combined with schematics really help. I wouldn’t recommend just opening your reel and taking it apart….especially if your unfamiliar with the internal components.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 09:05 PM   #41
DVT Mike

DIY reel service is within reason if you have the aptitude but is by no means a no brainer. NEVER open a reel without a schematic in front of you and remember that the schematic does not necessarily show dis/reassembly order or part orientation. If your hesitant or unsure a pro service costs about the same as an oil change in your car!
Old 10-05-11, 09:05 PM   #42
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro reel View Post
ROFLMAO
Who told you that abu has a problem with worn out pawls? Thats a laugh. Abu has the the best quality steel pawls on the market, all but the cheapest abu reels have the everslick coating on them. The only Abu pawls I replace are in reels that had dirt and grit in the worm gear, no reel can withstand that without chewing itself up. I'm sorry, but i think you have been listening to the Daiwa fanboys at TT a little to much.
This doesn't really have anything to do with Daiwa or anyone on TT. I don't even have time to look around on TT lately. I've read a few examples of this on here. I think you took that the wrong way, as I have nothing against Abu reels, in fact, Revo's would be my second choice.

BB
Old 10-05-11, 11:59 PM   #43
gonefishin3

Quote:
This doesn't really have anything to do with Daiwa or anyone on TT. I don't even have time to look around on TT lately. I've read a few examples of this on here. I think you took that the wrong way, as I have nothing against Abu reels, in fact, Revo's would be my second choice.

BB

What is your first choice? And to pro reel... you never answered what was the best made reel out there parts wise? thanks..

Also just ordered 20 bucks worth of parts from quantum and I found a reel and pt some 30 lb braid on it for froggin. I guess frog bites on

Also that E clip I lost last night? I went to bed... when I got into bed tonight it was laying on my pillow I guess it was on my head last night... no wonder I couldent find it on the floor! !

Last edited by gonefishin3; 10-06-11 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-06-11, 08:51 AM   #44
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Naw the reel fairy left it.
Look for a quarter as well must be there somewhere.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-11, 09:17 AM   #45
pro reel

Quote:

BB
BB, Im just poking fun at ya. Seriously though, anytime I read blanket statments about some reel or some brand having a problem with something, it usually makes me laugh, because more often than not, it's just a rumor started by folks that prefer another brand or constant reposts of a normal issue to the point thats it's blown way out of proportion. I know that you are a Daiwa fan and an active reader of the TT site, and thats fine, but take some of the posts there with a grain of salt. The most current case in point would be the bash on Revo SX reels going on there right now. One person started with a post that they can't seem to get a SX dialed in to where it won't backlash. Now dozens have chimed in and said that all SX reels are that way and are basically a poor design that you should stay away from. Thats absolute hogwash! The problem isn't the reel, it's user eror and a refusal to read directions because they think they know how to use a reel and don't see a reason to read the papers that come with a reel. Abu knows that you need to set the tension on those reels while the mag dial is turned off, so they put those directions in the little book that comes with the reel. If folks will follow those direction, they will find that the SX cast's like a dream. If they don't, then they will fight backlash forever. I seriously don't know where you heard that there is a problem with abu pawls. There isn't. Now, you may have seen some posts where someone had a line guide that wasn;t working and they needed a new pawl or worm gear. That happens with every brand and most often is caused by a lack of preventitive maintenance. Some brands have better coatings on those parts, abu is one that uses titanium plated worm gears and everslick coated pawls on most of the higher end reels. The revo S has a normal unplated set, so it might have a shorter life span if it's not kept clean. Most brands use the unplated , normal steel gear and pawl on every reel they have, even the very most expensive models. If the owner of those reels lets grit get on the gear and uses it that way, it will need replaced.

Gonefishin
I won't ever say that I know of one brand thats the best, they all have some good reels and some not so good reels. I use mostly Abu reels but thats because I got a good deal on them at the time. I could easily be happy with a line of Shimano Curado E models or the last few models of the Chronarch if I could afford those. Daiwa doesn't make a reel that I really like anymore, and the ones that they do make I believe to be vastly overpriced. They do make some very nice reels, they just are not my style and I would never pay the asking price for a reel that wasn't any better than one at half the price from another brand. Quantum makes some very nice reels also and some of those reels cast as good or better than any I have used, stay away from the lower priced quantum models and be leary of any that have a pro anglers name on them. Those are only made for sale at BPS stores and some had problems as well as parts issues. Speaking of BPS, they are the only store brand reel I recomend, but some models are junk while others are gems. You almost can't go wrong with a pro qualifier. I have heard of a few folks that got a PQ and found it to be a dud, but I get dud reels in for service all the time from every major brand there is.

Last edited by pro reel; 10-06-11 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-06-11, 10:25 AM   #46
DVT Mike

If you can budget $125> for a baitcast reel it's almost hard to go wrong now days. Like Kevin said each line and model has its quirks and a dud here or there.
Old 10-08-11, 02:22 AM   #47
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Click image for larger version

Name:	REEL REPAIR.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	7244
Old 10-08-11, 01:45 PM   #48
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
that's a good one
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.