Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-11, 10:02 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default The BPS Johnny Morris Carbon Black casting reel.

I wanted to take a moment to write about this reel. Now, I am no expert on reels, so take this for what it's worth, just an opinion. I'll leave it to guys like pro reel and others to comment on the "guts" of the reel as I don't know much about bearings, gearing, and so forth. This is just a simple users opinion. I bought this reel this past March in a 7.1:1 ratio, with a 31" IPT to have as my buzzbait and fluke reel. The basic specs sounded good enough for the job and I liked the 14 pound drag rating as I planned on using this reel in places where I would want to turn a basses head away from cover fast. The flat black color might turn some folks off, but I like it. Well, after using this reel hard all year long I am very happy to say this reel has been a complete success! I couldn't be happier with the reel. I've worked this reel extensivly every outting and here at the end of the season it still performs like the day I took it out of the box. Tight, smooth, and dependable, and performs flawlessly. Thanks to the dual breaking system on this reel, I can only remember one backlash all year long with this reel and thats only because I snaged the lure on the cast on an overhanging branch. I get nice long smooth casts with this reel, and it balances very well with the Cabelas XML 6 1/2 MH/F rod I have it mounted on. The drag has worked very smoothly and was more than adaquate in all the situations I found myself in. I like the rubberized grips on the recurved handle which completely eliminates grip slippage when it's wet. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would replace several of my older reels with this reel. And for $129.99, I don't think you can find a better value out there. If your needing to add to or upgrade your bass fishing reel collection, be sure to check this baby out. You won't be disapppointed.
Old 10-09-11, 07:44 PM   #2
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I agree that the BPS reels with dual brakes are some of the best casting reels out there. But the thing that keeps me from getting a JM reel is the weight. In this day and age, 9.4 ounces is alot for a baitcaster. Other than the weight, the reel looks awesome, and from the sounds of it, fishes awesome as well.

Ryan
Old 10-09-11, 08:25 PM   #3
Bassboss

Sounds good, glad you like the reel. Although I'm strata hesitant get any BPS reel anymore. After used my Advantage for a few trips, I can say it's MUCH smoother (cant get my JML smooth no mater what I do, very rough). Good backlash control.. I'll give em credit for that, distance seems decent to me. I'd definitely like to upgrade it's drag though, was pretty stick catching a decent pike yesterday.

Wish I would have paid more attention to the reel when I first got it, after 2 years of HARD use as the baitcaster I used 95% of time, a reel's gonna get old fast.
Old 10-09-11, 09:18 PM   #4
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You mated a BPS reel to a Cabela's rod? Are you NUTS? That's like mating a Hatfield to a McCoy, or an Arab to an Israeli (that will probably cost me my ESPN sponsorship), or a Right Wing Republican to a Left Wing Democrat, or NFE to one of the Kennedys.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-11, 10:41 PM   #5
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
You mated a BPS reel to a Cabela's rod? Are you NUTS? That's like mating a Hatfield to a McCoy, or an Arab to an Israeli (that will probably cost me my ESPN sponsorship), or a Right Wing Republican to a Left Wing Democrat, or NFE to one of the Kennedys.
HAHAHA, just don't tell the folks at BPS or they might take away my credits!
Old 10-11-11, 09:50 AM   #6
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
Sounds good, glad you like the reel. Although I'm strata hesitant get any BPS reel anymore. After used my Advantage for a few trips, I can say it's MUCH smoother (cant get my JML smooth no mater what I do, very rough). Good backlash control.. I'll give em credit for that, distance seems decent to me. I'd definitely like to upgrade it's drag though, was pretty stick catching a decent pike yesterday.

Wish I would have paid more attention to the reel when I first got it, after 2 years of HARD use as the baitcaster I used 95% of time, a reel's gonna get old fast.
A Carbontex drag upgrade is the real deal and affordable ($8 +/-). If you want to send the Advantage my way this winter I'll go through the rest of it and make sure it's all up to par and drop in the drag washers while We're at it. Start a regular maintenance routine now and that reel will last you many years.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.