Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-11, 12:03 AM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Exclamation Trokar Hooks Price drop!!

Anyone that's been wanting to try Trokar hooks, but haven't cause of the price, now might be the right time! Prices dropped from 9.99 bucks a pack, to 6.99 a pack. Still allot, but nearly as bad as before.

Read more here.
http://www.lazertrokar.com/trokar-ne...g-announcement

Price drop is already in effect.
Old 10-17-11, 05:04 PM   #2
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

this great! ill buy a few sometime.
Old 10-17-11, 05:19 PM   #3
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Do they have a waterdog hook?
Old 10-18-11, 11:14 AM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Do they have a waterdog hook?
Defiantly something worth emailing them about!

They go however have an octopus hook, don't know of anyone that uses octopus for bait, or catches them.
Old 10-18-11, 01:48 PM   #5
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
They go however have an octopus hook, don't know of anyone that uses octopus for bait, or catches them.
You would have if you've been flounder fishing off of Cape Cod.....
Old 10-18-11, 02:14 PM   #6
WTL

Thats a signifigant drop. I will try some, maybe 3/0, and see if they are worth it over owner.
Old 10-18-11, 02:17 PM   #7
Jrob78

I am interested in trying the straight shank finesse hooks with the keeper. I will buy some when I find them at the lower price locally.
Old 10-18-11, 06:11 PM   #8
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I am interested in trying the straight shank finesse hooks with the keeper. I will buy some when I find them at the lower price locally.
So am I. I've become a fan of straight shank hooks for my worms and lizards. I've heard it's hard to keep a worm tex-posed because the things are so dadgum sharp, so I'm still sort of reluctant to try them even with the price drop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
You would have if you've been flounder fishing off of Cape Cod.....
I've heard of em squid fishin, but never octopus. Pretty sure they use these for squids too...

Old 10-18-11, 06:55 PM   #9
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
So am I. I've become a fan of straight shank hooks for my worms and lizards. I've heard it's hard to keep a worm tex-posed because the things are so dadgum sharp, so I'm still sort of reluctant to try them even with the price drop.

I've heard of em squid fishin, but never octopus. Pretty sure they use these for squids too...

Is it an actual hook for fishing for octopus or is it an Octopus style hook? I've never heard of a hook for octopus either but I do use an octopus hook fishing the river for catfish all the time.
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11, 06:58 PM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebasser86 View Post
Is it an actual hook for fishing for octopus or is it an Octopus style hook? I've never heard of a hook for octopus either but I do use an octopus hook fishing the river for catfish all the time.
The thing in the pic is a squid lure. The thing I was talking about was an octopus style hook... but kinda put a swing on it in spirit of an old inside joke that WILL NEVER GO AWAY!
Old 10-18-11, 09:35 PM   #11
johnD
BassFishin.Com Member

price drop b/c they where not flying off the shelves at $10 a pop...$3 off of $10 is not a "significant price drop"...I'll continue to use gamakatsu as I have for years.
johnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 01:43 PM   #12
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnD View Post
price drop b/c they where not flying off the shelves at $10 a pop...$3 off of $10 is not a "significant price drop"...I'll continue to use gamakatsu as I have for years.
Yes it is. Much more signifigant would have been half off, which seems unrealistic assuming these hooks are the best...

Or to put it this way, at 7 dollars a pop, these hooks are now no more overpriced comparably speaking than g loomis rods. And at least hook sharpness plays a real part in catching a fish, much more part than the marginal utility offered by getting a top of the line rod.
Old 10-20-11, 02:23 PM   #13
WaffleJaw

For $6.99 ..Ill throw some gambling tokens at it.

May be a good investment for harder plastic baits if they're really that much sharper.
Old 10-20-11, 02:49 PM   #14
bassboogieman

I'll stick with Owner & Gammies. I haven't tried the Tokar and won't bother unless they drop to at least half off. From what I've heard - again no personal experience but it makes a lot of sense - the Tokars are SHARP, surgical instrument sharp, but they are not very durable. Supposedly it doesn't take much to dull that sharpness, if the point contacts anything hard - it's lost it's advantage, and they are supposedly impossible to resharpen back to the original state. It's like anything else - at what point does it become overly excessive, to be practical and a return on the money spent. Myself, I do not see the value, or advantage, in a Tokar at twice the price of an Owner hook or a Gamagatsu for that matter.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 06:23 PM   #15
WTL

Boogie, that is a great point. Common sense says that if sharpness is the result of less material at the point, it will be more prone to burring.

At the very least, the price drop is enough to get me to try a pack, I cant imagine using them for everything though.
Old 10-20-11, 09:35 PM   #16
Bassboss

Agreed. It would definitely seems like a sharper look like trokar would dull quicker than others. But being so sharp to begin with, with the dulled version still be sharper then the gamakatsu's we've all come to know and love?
Old 10-21-11, 09:05 AM   #17
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you haven't used a Trokar, I would suggest you give them a try. Now, I don't use them for every soft plastic, but they cannot be matched when using soft swimbaits or thick flippin plastics.

As far as price - I'm glad they dropped, but I think they were worth every penny at $10 for those applications. We all tend to spend money on different things, but honestly, I may have lost one hook per outting do to getting hung, or having the point rounded on a rock. I can live with losing $2 per trip.

And as far as resharpening - I've never had luck resharpening any high end hook back to it's original sharpness?
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 03:45 PM   #18
Bassboss

Good news guys!

Trokar had a thing going for a while where if you answered all the questions right you became a member of "team Trokar." They also sent you a free pack of hooks along with some other goodies.

Got a big envelope from trokar with my free hooks and goodies! Got a pack of 3/0 HP worm hooks. They're definitely sharp, I'll give a report on em sometime.. might wait till next year to give a full review though, fishing has pretty much died down completely here.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.