Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-12, 08:19 PM   #1
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Question for Waffle-Bubba-Jrob..et al

I popped the insert out of the tip of this Shimano Cumulus yesterday...tip is lost...this is my wifes rod and I'd like to fix it before she finds out....Can I find the right size insert and just pop it in? Buy an over the counter tip? Looks to me like the tip is actually wrapped?..not one that you can just heat and remove? This pic may not be needed but here it is.HELP? I know the rod has lifetime warranty but this was strictly my fault not the rods.
Old 03-23-12, 08:53 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i can help oyu bub.....cuz bubba helped me when one of my duckett rods did the same thing.

get anotehr tip eyelit. inserts can't be replaced and it ain't worthit really.

step one; heat up the tip with a lighter. be careful not to burn it. it doesn't take much heat to loosen it up (the glue). have some pliers handy, and SLOWLY remove the tip.

step two; put some rod glue IN the new tip. heat and slip on rod.

be careful to make SURE it is lined up or you'll have to reheat it to make it straight.

bubba helped me this way. it really is easy.
Old 03-23-12, 09:12 PM   #3
bcklash

Do what Bama said. I just replaced the tip on Bandits Kister crankin stik just a few weeks ago.
Old 03-23-12, 10:03 PM   #4
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Bama has you fixed up pretty good. I would add that if you get a stick of tip adhesive, you can spread it into thin lines on a board or countertop with a hot glue gun. Find a piece of it that fits into the tube and cut it off flush with the end of the tube. Then heat the tube to melt the glue before sticking it on the tip of the rod.
Old 03-23-12, 10:04 PM   #5
Jrob78

Bama is right, you can't replace the insert. You should be able to contact Shimano and they will send you the exact tip you need, probably free. You will have to gently cut all the way around the base of the tip to cut through the epoxy. They shouldn't have wrapped up onto the tip itself, it's hard to tell in the picture though. Once you've cut through the epoxy, you can gently heat the tip and slide it off. It won't take a whole lot of heat and you have to be very careful while cutting the epoxy. It shouldn't be necessary to remove any thread.

I wouldn't bother with buying a generic Fuji replacement tip. It won't match the guides, the insert won't be as high quality as the factory part and you will be guessing at the size. Once you have your new tip top, you will need to get a tip top adhesive stick and glue your tip on. We can help you out more specifically when you get to that point. The tip top stick shouldn't be too hard to find, most sporting good stores should have them.
Old 03-23-12, 10:23 PM   #6
kennethdaysale

Thanks yall. I doubted I could find an insert anyway. We've got a trip planned for Tues. so I can't order one from Shimano but a Charlotte rod builder ("Bonedesigns") says he's got some high end tips that should match well. If she notices anything different......move over Rover, you got company
Old 03-23-12, 10:50 PM   #7
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Thanks yall. I doubted I could find an insert anyway. We've got a trip planned for Tues. so I can't order one from Shimano but a Charlotte rod builder ("Bonedesigns") says he's got some high end tips that should match well. If she notices anything different......move over Rover, you got company
Good plan, it will be an easy fix for someone who has the stuff and has the know how. She'll never know the difference.
Old 03-23-12, 11:12 PM   #8
bassboogieman

Quote:
You will have to gently cut all the way around the base of the tip to cut through the epoxy
Be very careful. I've repalced a few tips and I shave the epoxy off the tip with a razor blade, paralell with the blank. Work from the tip back towards the blank. When the tip shank is shaved clean of the epoxy, you can heat with a lighter an pull the tip off. I am afraid of going through the epoxy and nicking the blank which will most likely cause it to break when you try to use it if you cut around the blank, behind the rod tip. You can mix a little epoxy when you're done and blend it over the tip ferrule to make it look nice again.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 11:20 PM   #9
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Be very careful. I've repalced a few tips and I shave the epoxy off the tip with a razor blade, paralell with the blank. Work from the tip back towards the blank. When the tip shank is shaved clean of the epoxy, you can heat with a lighter an pull the tip off. I am afraid of going through the epoxy and nicking the blank which will most likely cause it to break when you try to use it if you cut around the blank, behind the rod tip. You can mix a little epoxy when you're done and blend it over the tip ferrule to make it look nice again.
Very good point, that is definitely the safe way to do it. The tip is the thinest part of the blank and the easiest to break.
Old 03-23-12, 11:25 PM   #10
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

It looks like the bottom part of the tiptop is wrapped, but there is not much wrap on it. Listen to what they said if you have to cut the wrapping. Be very careful! Good luck!
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.