Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-08, 11:32 PM   #1
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Longer or shorter rod for deep crankin

Ok, I did a search for deep cranking rods and came up with a lot of different possibilities. Short 6ft to 7ft, med to mh. I know the longer rod will give more distance on the cast. I have a 7ft St Croix Premire crankbait rod. Opinions if that's a good rod to start with for deep baits or some recommendations
Old 03-10-08, 11:51 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

In my opinion, if it is a medium or medium heavy action it should work well for you. It partly depends on the type of water you are planning to fish and the type of crank baits your planning to work with this rod. Are you going to be using it in open water or working around and through brush and grassbeds? What pound test line are you planning to use? Info like that would make answering your question easier.

Last edited by keithdog; 03-10-08 at 11:56 PM.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-08, 12:18 AM   #3
bassinbob

Mostly deep diving cranks Norman22 Rapala DT's. etc. As far as the water, that's a hard one because I'll be fishing different bottoms on different lakes. Line probably 10 or 12 lb.
Old 03-11-08, 10:17 AM   #4
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a minimum 6'6" both med. hvy., and heavy, powers both with moderate action. I wouldn't use a rod any shorter because with deep diving cranks, just like with carolina rigging, you want to be able to get the line up quick to get pressure on the fish. Moderate action because for me, I tend to have a problem hooks out with a fast action rod. For dt 16's and dd22's I use heavy, DT 10's and poe's 300 and 400 I use med. hvy. mann's 20 and 30+ I use the hvy. just depends how deep the crank is going and water isn't too clear so I use 12 and 15 lb. test depending on cover and depth needed. Good luck.
Old 03-11-08, 02:15 PM   #5
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The St. Croix is an awesome rod for this application. I started using a 7 ft. rod when I was new to bassin', just 'cause I was always on Lake Michigan and liked to kneel and reel to get it as deep as possible.
Old 03-11-08, 03:03 PM   #6
Bob Smith

Thumbs up

All of my cranking sticks are 7' long and medium to medium light action (two of them are composite glass/graphite). The length not only adds to the distance of the cast, but it also can add to the depth of the retrieve by sticking the rod into the water on the retrieve (I do this often). The length of the rod also provides a little more control during the fight, and compensates for the lighter line by providing additional flexibility (give and take! The lighter action rod is easier when the fish make a charge or run).
Old 03-11-08, 04:03 PM   #7
Texas_Justice85
BassFishin.Com Member

I use a 6'6" All Star Classic PRS and it works extremely well.
Old 03-11-08, 04:39 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I prefer longer rods, but again, it's more of a personal preference. I'd go with a 7' MH rod and a 5.1:1 reel (or something similar) is a must!

BB
Old 03-11-08, 05:36 PM   #9
zooker

for deep divers go long. if your just chunking shallow divers or lipless baits 6.6 is ok.. i use 7',7'3'' rods to crank with. a big bait like a dd22,a poes,dt16,bandit 700,lc d-14,lc d-20 you need a stiffer rod i use a mh action lews speed stick or an american rodsmith stick. for deep diving cranks 8,10,12 pound test MONO is my choice. i use an abu winch-3.8 geared-, a 4.7 geared fritts reel,or my old but still great quatum mag gear -5.1-

zooker
Old 03-11-08, 06:26 PM   #10
Rebbasser

I use a Falcon 7'3" MH Cara Deep Cranking rod for mine. The longer length makes for longer casts and it is rated for big 3/4 oz. baits like a DD-22. Paired with a BPS David Fritts crankbait reel-4.7:1 GR-I can throw those big baits all day with it and not wear myself slick.
Old 03-11-08, 09:20 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Zook, you used the Bandit 700 yet? is it as good as the rest of the Bandits? I was thinking about getting one for some of the deeper reservoirs we'll be fishing this summer.

BB
Old 03-11-08, 10:13 PM   #12
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

St. Croix Preimier 'Crankbait Series'.

Enough said...

-Lunk-

Last edited by lunker-lander; 03-11-08 at 10:24 PM.
lunker-lander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 02:05 PM   #13
Wishing2BFishing

I have two crankbait rods. A 7' Medium BPS Johnny Morris rod and a 7'Medium BPS Extreme Rod. I found that the Medium rods are a little more versatile for throwin' the cranks. With the Medium rods I can go as light as 1/4 oz and still get relatively good distance (even with my poor casting skills).

As a side note, the Medium Heavy rod which I initially used for cranks has been temporarily converted to the a flippin/pitchin stick.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-08, 07:39 PM   #14
zooker

bb
i have tried it runs good but alas no fsh on it yet.. i do have some experiance with the MASSIVE bandit 600.. i like it ALOT to bad they don't sell them any more.. the 600 has bb's inside and a clunker in the crank bait lip..-which makes it dive like a shot-

zooker
Old 03-12-08, 09:24 PM   #15
Brad-WV
BassFishin.Com Member

Try a Kistler Graphite Plus in 6ft 6in for your smaller cranks. I would recommend using a 7ft Graphite Plus for larger crankbaits. The longer crankbait rods increase casting distance and gives you better control for fighting fish. The soft action of the Graphite Plus helps reduce fish from throwing the hooks.
Brad-WV is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.