Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-06, 04:40 PM   #1
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default casting troubles

For those who haven't got the hang of the new baitcasting reels yet. There are 2 different times a backlash (birdsnest) can happen on a cast.Identifying the problem will help you quickly correct the problem.The first backlash can happen on the initial cast, when the lure takes flight, the weight motion causes the spool to go at a faster rpm than the line can travel causing it to look like a birdsnest.To prevent that , you need to adjust your centrifugal weight, or magnetic adjustment to compesate for the higher rpm's of the spool.Either unlock more centrifugal weights , or if magnetic, adjust to a higher magnetic setting.If the reel is set to the max settings and your still backlashing on the initial cast, your casting the lure too hard. adjust your casting motion. Stop the motion before the forward motion of your cast.This doesn't allow you to load the rod tip up and over rev the spool on the reel.The second backlash can happen as the lure lands to its target, the reel creates a birdsnest.To prevent that from happening , you need to tighten the spool tension knob until the spool stops when the lure stops.Its important to know at what point the birdsnest was created in order to solve the problem.I hope this helps . P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 06:10 PM   #2
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

or you can hit something unexpected on the cast, like the tail of a worm catching on the motor on the back cast. just for yall that havent done this, i dont suggest trying it. lol
Old 03-21-06, 06:22 PM   #3
pig n jig

Lmao....That will take that particular rod and reel out of the fishing equasion for the day. That was a good one Lovinfishin. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 07:48 PM   #4
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've caught a couple of trees on the backswing when casting. Imagine all of that casting force and no lure and line actually traveling anywhere except at the spool. Very ugly.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-06, 08:19 PM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

after a while using the baitcaster for short fast cast-usal involving a spinner bait- i get loops. i will throw a long cast and remove the loops..

zooker
Old 03-21-06, 08:28 PM   #6
lovinfishin9

Ncyankee, thats exactly what it is. Line keeps coming off the spool but nothing else moves.
Old 03-21-06, 09:46 PM   #7
bass kicker

that use to happen to me all the time so that is why i quite using bait casters on shore
Old 03-22-06, 12:33 AM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinfishin9
or you can hit something unexpected on the cast, like the tail of a worm catching on the motor on the back cast. just for yall that havent done this, i dont suggest trying it. lol
I have and I concur-don't try it if you don't have to
Old 03-22-06, 04:22 AM   #9
KenDammit

the first time I cast when I go out fishing, my thumb is usually retarded and I get a few loops, sometimes a minor backlash. I think the first cast takes the most focus, after that it starts to be like riding a bike again.
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 06:49 AM   #10
dodgeguy

yup those snag something on the cast backlahes are the worst.sometimes you have to cut them out.i don't shore fish anymore unless it's an open area because of this.i had one that was so bad it looked like a mushroom cloud blew out of my reel!!!
Old 03-22-06, 08:41 AM   #11
1FASTLASER

I totally agree..... a predicted long cast starting out with a intial impact of hitting the motor or a limb = knife and a bunch of line laying in the boat.
Old 03-22-06, 09:28 AM   #12
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

up here in the frozen tundras of jersey in the winter all my baitcast reels seems to be a little tighter on the first few casts.after a few cast they loosen up.i do not mess with the brakes until after i have made a few casts.even then i will seldom make any adjustments.once you've learned the art of thumbing the spool you should not have problems with backlash.
and if you should happen to get one...before you do ANYTHING.tighten down on your drag.press your thumb tipand fingernail against the spool.start reeling a couple of turns.release the spool and pull off some line.repeat this process as many times as necessary to get the backlash out.i have not had a backlash in years that i could not get out in this way.don't forget to back off your drag a little once you get the backlash out.
this works even on the backlash from hell.
Old 03-22-06, 11:19 AM   #13
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I start off by adjusting the spool tension knob first when changing to lighter or heavier lures/baits. Holding the rod tip at 11 or 2 oclock and then engaging the main spool release. I'm looking for a nice slow fall of the lure, when I have that adjusted properly, then I can make my first cast to see where the brakes need to be. It doesn't take long to find the proper settings for making nice clean effective casts. I've never had the pleasure of snaggin my curly tail on the motor, tree limb, windsheild, a second pole left standing up in the middle of the boat, another fisherman, or accidently hit a dock, I was trying to throw under, nope not me, never
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 04:56 PM   #14
bassintxlady

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

uhhhhhmmmm......as she clears her throat.......naw...never...i've never seen any of that happen to you betursweetbass.....nope not me.....
Old 03-22-06, 05:08 PM   #15
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by betursweetbass
I start off by adjusting the spool tension knob first when changing to lighter or heavier lures/baits.
I get a little loose line on the spool from time to time because I forget to adjust the knob and my cast for lighter lures. To date, I've only cut the line once when I caught a tree on the backswing. Only have to make that mistake once.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-06, 07:00 PM   #16
lovinfishin9

bassintom, ive only had one kind of situation where that didnt work and ive already told yall about it. I wouldve tried it except for the fact that i couldnt find my reel to put my thumb on it.
Old 03-23-06, 09:41 PM   #17
skeeter944

i have hit my partner in the back with a lead weight.i have also hit him on the hookset in the face.he wasnt too angry!!!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.