Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-08, 11:47 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default For long casts try braid with spinning gear.

I just made my first trip to the pier on Lake Michigan to try for a few of those big Skamania steelhead which make their run upstream in the summer. Unfortunately for me, I shoulda been there yesterday. They were catching a lot of big boys. However, the wind switched since yesterday and the water was pretty dead today. Anyways, one interresting thing I learned today. Casting from the pier, you want to get as much distance on your cast as possible. This year I loaded my spinning reel with 30 pound Power Pro braid. I'd never seen braid used on the pier before, but thought I'd give it a try. I was very glad I did. My 6 1/2 foot medium heavy BPS Proqualifier rod was easily outcasting everyone on the pier. Everyone else was using some kind of mono as far as I could tell. Some of the steelhead diehards had rods made specifically to get good distance on your cast for this exact situation. But they couldn't come close to the distance I was getting with braid. Most of us were using pretty much the same spoon. A 5/8 - 3/4 oz teardrop spoon in bright orange. So it was a fair comparison. Just thought I'd share this for anyone needing the ultimate in long distance casting. Give it a try. I bet you'll be suprised.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 11:59 AM   #2
tnfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

that about all i use is braid
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 12:06 PM   #3
Fishbear

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishbear

I use 20# Suffix Perf. Braid (same Dia. as 8 lb. mono) on my spinning outfit. Love it for casting and sensitivity... Would recommend it 100%
Old 07-05-08, 01:30 PM   #4
tnfisherman

i use stren super braid in 10lb
Old 07-05-08, 01:35 PM   #5
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Wait until you get a fish and tangle lines with a mono Steelheader. Talk about gettin' your azz cussed off the pier...

Were you on the North or South pier out of Benton Harbor? North pier is really the place to be, South pier has way too many people.

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 07:15 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I was at Michigan City in Indiana today. They were doing great all week up untill today. The steelies didn't appear to be staging at the mouth today.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 07:34 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

I use Power Pro 15# (same dia as 4# mono) on one of my spinning reels. With this rod I throw mostly heavier plastics (trigged or crigged).
The other spinning rod I use Suffix 10# (same dia as 4# mono). I throw my lighter plastics with this line. I also throw my topwater floating lures.
I use Power Pro 20# (same dia as 8# mono) on my baitcaster. With this setup, I throw my spinners, crankbaits, buzzbaits, and catfish setup.

I absolutely love the braided line. It casts easier and has a lot less line twist and memory compared to mono. It also casts further and when I do backlash, it is easier to undo to birdnest. But backlashes are few and far between with the braid.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 07:49 PM   #8
tnfisherman

just you have to change line offten if backlashed alot ,, i have lost a couple of spinnerbait b/c the line had backlashed and had weaked that line ,, then when i threw the line went snapped and spinnerbait went for a bath
Old 07-05-08, 10:53 PM   #9
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i've used it on spinning stuff before it works great.. i used the last of my braid the other day on my baitcaster time for another spool
Old 07-06-08, 12:06 AM   #10
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

There're reasons for the increased distance using braid, IF all else is equal (Same rod, lure, reel, initial line level, etc.)
First, since braid has a much smaller diameter v. mono or fluoro of the same test strength, the line level on the spool decreases at a lower rate during the cast. Second, the mono/flouro, being stiffer than the braid, holds it's "coil" (both natual "spool coil" and that added by twisting,) as it leaves the spool and is constantly in contact with the guides as it passes through, thus imposing more drag than does the braid. The braid, however, tends to straighten much sooner and thus the contact with the guides applies less braking effect.
While the aforementioned causative factors are mentioned in reply to a post re spinning gear they apply to baitcasters as well.
During a "bait" cast, line level decreases, causing the lure to have to "pull harder" to take line. Of course, if your cast and antibacklash controls are maladjusted, then you'll believe just the opposite is the case and you will be right. The heavier the line (thicker), the more pronounced the effect.
Coil in mono/fluoro on a baitcaster will also cause greater guide-friction braking effect, despite the slickness of modern guide materials. The small openings in baitcasting guides cause badly coiled line to literally squeeze through, especially with heavier line.
Exam on Thursday! Class dismissed.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 11:01 AM   #11
Abbeysdad

But professor, the data appears to be incorrect. It simply would require more energy to throw a large diameter rope vs. a smaller diameter the same distance. Picture tossing a 3/8" diam rope vs. a 2" diam rope. same physics apply, just smaller 'rope'.

So all things being equal, a smaller diameter (monofilament or braid) line will result in a longer cast.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.