Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-05, 05:37 PM   #1
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default water down!!water down!!

okay,every other year they drain my lake to kill the abundance of grass that grows.well for four years straight they havnt done that.the grass has gotten so bad that you cant even fish a t-rig in the grass without the whieght diging in the grass.well yesterday they decided to drain it yesterday mornin.right now it is 4 feet under the usual and they are still
draining,i know that the fish move into deeper water,but i dont know what to throw at them,or if they eat at all.any suggestions????
Old 10-09-05, 06:24 PM   #2
pig n jig

I am having the same thing happen here. There is 2 lakes joined together by a canal which happens to be the only place to launch a boat to get out on the lakes. They have drained the water down about 6 feet from where they normally were. the launch was tied up while we had to wait for a 21 ft. Triton to trailer , because he busted the prop & shaft off from his lower unit trying to get out through the shallow canal. I got out on the lake using my trolling motor, I caught 23 largemouth bass, 2 pickerel, and a small musky in 4 1/2 hours. They all were caught on a 1/2 oz. black jig with a black Gene Larew salt craw trailer.I fished the outside weed edge around 5 different points on the lake.There was a 10 mph North wind so I had to flip the jig alot faster than I would have liked to, I then hopped to the next nearby point and kept rotating on the points. I hope this helps you. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-05, 06:31 PM   #3
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Try finesse worm and tube. Check my topic Finesse baits. Most likely the fish will be slow so throw slow moving baits. My cousins lake was low because the dam broke(3feet low) and I tried crankbaits and spinnerbaits(nothing) then I tried a tube(alluringbaits and Venom) and caught towns.
Old 10-09-05, 07:24 PM   #4
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
I am having the same thing happen here. There is 2 lakes joined together by a canal which happens to be the only place to launch a boat to get out on the lakes. They have drained the water down about 6 feet from where they normally were. the launch was tied up while we had to wait for a 21 ft. Triton to trailer , because he busted the prop & shaft off from his lower unit trying to get out through the shallow canal. I got out on the lake using my trolling motor, I caught 23 largemouth bass, 2 pickerel, and a small musky in 4 1/2 hours. They all were caught on a 1/2 oz. black jig with a black Gene Larew salt craw trailer.I fished the outside weed edge around 5 different points on the lake.There was a 10 mph North wind so I had to flip the jig alot faster than I would have liked to, I then hopped to the next nearby point and kept rotating on the points. I hope this helps you. P N J
so were you fishing in deeper water???
Old 10-10-05, 05:50 PM   #5
KH.

make that 7 feet,below my peir there 7 in of water,i guess most of thos fish will be in the 20 foot range
Old 10-11-05, 03:30 PM   #6
pig n jig

KH, The outside weed edge was in 2-4 feet of water because they let so much water out of the lakes.P N J
Old 10-11-05, 05:54 PM   #7
KH.

pnj,the lake ia not coneencted by a canal,but a spillway,theres very few places without grass,the good thing is next im goin to catch a killin,i can see all the dropoffs and stumps,even take some of them and make reef
Old 10-11-05, 06:23 PM   #8
pig n jig

Kh,I couldn't resist picking up some stuff and relocating it myself.I have got a secondary point with deep water nearby and a feeder creek on it.I repositioned some trees, tires, cinderblocks etc... I found due to low water table on a break off between the point and creek in what will be 12+ feet of water when the lake refills.I know it will hold bass, I am looking forward to see how many people find it besides myself. P N J
Old 10-11-05, 06:58 PM   #9
KH.

dont make it too high,it will show up on the fish finder easier,we have some old dryers that i put in there.actually i moved the stuff to protect the fish,increase the population of the minnows,so eventually they will get bigger,the will attract baitfish as wellllllllllllllllllllllll
Old 10-13-05, 04:04 PM   #10
flfireman

I can understand the trees, the rocks, the cinderblocks. Why wouldn't you remove the tires and dryers from the waterways? This is trash. The best thing I found is build a square or triangle out of PVC pipes and fill them with sand or weight them w/ cinderblocks. You can build these fish attractors as wide or as tall as you want. They eventually get covered w/ moss,grass,slime, whatever is prominent. Bam! Instant home for baitfish. Ive seen some more intricate designs also. Most state resource offices will allow this option also.
Old 10-13-05, 05:48 PM   #11
KH.

i didnt see any tires,i put the dryers in there,but if you dont want people to notice it make it low
Old 10-13-05, 08:57 PM   #12
pig n jig

FLA, hose holder, You have to pay $6.00 per tire to get rid of them properly.Why on Earth would anyone pay that to rid some one elses trash ?Thats why some idiot threw them in the lake in the first place.I scavanged every thing up in the near area and relocated it.I ain't hauling to it all the way to dispose of it properly and have to pay per tire. P N J
Old 10-13-05, 08:59 PM   #13
KH.

good point,bass like to lay there eggs in spots like those too
Old 10-16-05, 08:31 PM   #14
thomas32140
BassFishin.Com Member

yea the same thing is happening with me in my drainage pond, so i stopped fishing it. The reason they drained it was because of Katrina, they didn't want the pond to overfill. Is their anything that you should reccomend me trying? The water is down about 6 feet, and i dont have any grass problems.
thomas32140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-05, 08:54 PM   #15
KH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas32140
yea the same thing is happening with me in my drainage pond, so i stopped fishing it. The reason they drained it was because of Katrina, they didn't want the pond to overfill. Is their anything that you should reccomend me trying? The water is down about 6 feet, and i dont have any grass problems.
where you live????we got hit by katrina hard,12 trees down that are at least 75 feet tall
Old 10-16-05, 08:55 PM   #16
KH.

12 in my yard that is

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.