Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-05, 01:31 AM   #1
KalimanMX
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Hope I did good

For some reasons that i will not waste your time telling you, I had to get a cheaper set of rod and reel than what i wanted, but this is what i got:
Reel: Pfleuger Echelon
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...331&hasJS=true

Rod: Fenwick HMX
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...372&hasJS=true
The 6Ft MH

I will use this set for worms and jig, what do you think? Is it good?
Hope i did good...
KalimanMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 02:15 AM   #2
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

wrong reel for that rod, plain and simple you'll only be able to cast about 5 feet from the shoreline. nah, just kidding, both have good reputation, good luck with the combo.
Old 10-18-05, 01:01 PM   #3
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Why a 6' instead of a 6'6" or 7' rod? I like the longer rods, for more line movement, and better hooksets, along with longer casts. If you are going to use it shore fishing, or in tight quarters OK, but I would go with a longer rod IMO. Other than that, you should have gone with the Shimano, wink, wink, now here comes PNJ.

Lizards
Old 10-18-05, 01:39 PM   #4
bassthumb32
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Wether Or Not It Is A Good Setup Is Up To You. If You Like It Then It Is A Good Setup. I Think It Would Be A Perfect Setup For Someone With A Limited Budget. Good Luck.
Old 10-18-05, 01:44 PM   #5
bassthumb32

Some Guys On Here Will Argue All Day To Which One Is Better. Its All In What Someone Has The Most Confidince In. If You Like It Good For You.
Old 10-18-05, 04:00 PM   #6
pig n jig

It looks real good,I like the Fenwick rods alot.I might question the rod length for 3/8 oz.-1 oz. jigs, but I am sure you will be fine using the lighter jigs, bitsy bug type jigs.The rod length is what I like using for worming over any other length, I don't know why , but I always go back to the 6' rod to worm , senko, tubebait fish over the longer rod lengths. I think you made a pretty good choice, it would be a good spinnerbait, buzzbait rod as well.As you get your own boat you will learn to like the longer rods as Lizards mentioned he likes, but for shore fishing the shorter rod is more managable to fish with.P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-05, 04:08 PM   #7
bassthumb32

Well Said Pnj.
Old 10-19-05, 01:26 AM   #8
KalimanMX
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks a lot for the information, Ill go fishing next saturday and see how it works for me. Hope it works fine.
I got the 6 rod because i do have a 6'6" kistler rod and one 6'6" shimano, but i wanted something smaller to see how i feel with it.
Also, i spooled the reel with 12lb Yo-Zury fluorocarbon, does any one have ever used this line? is it any good?

Thanks
KalimanMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 03:47 PM   #9
pig n jig

The Yo zuri Hybrid line is what I use.I like it alot but you have to take the time to tie the palomar knot slowly and wet it while cinching the knot tight.The other thing is check your line for nicks after catching a fish.I hate the flourocarbon line because it will break easier than regular mono. Take a peice of new flourocarbon line, bite down on it with medium pressure and then pull on the line, it will break with ease 9 times out of 10.The zebra mussels raise heck with it , but they will also cut braided line with ease so its not just the flourocarbon, its the low stretch that makes it easier to cut off. I hope this helps, P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-05, 06:59 PM   #10
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i see nothing wrong with the fenwick rod i use a 6 footer for skipping and weightless rigging. pfluger reels are ok -not great but a solid reel for sure..

zooker
Old 10-19-05, 08:05 PM   #11
KH.

the longer the rod,the farther the cast,the shorter,the more accurate,good for winter since the fish wont move far

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.