Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-08, 08:16 PM   #26
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
The most interesting part of this is that almost every bait listed as a stay away for some is a goto for othe
Amazing, isn't it. Which just goes to prove that confidence in any lure or presentation is the most important aspect of using it.
Old 12-18-08, 08:28 PM   #27
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Amazing, isn't it. Which just goes to prove that confidence in any lure or presentation is the most important aspect of using it.
very true.
Old 12-18-08, 08:34 PM   #28
bamabassman

hookup.....what's wrong wit da helicopter lure? hey pal, i got a BOX of em fer ya,hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

well for me it would be the dropshot as well. too complicated to rig up for me. other than that i would have to say the soft jerk baits, i think ya'll call em flukes. i sent ALL mine to a couple of fellow friends on here,lol. i just can't seem to use them right i guess. hope they catch a bunch on em. if i can't catch fish on a lure.... i give it away.

calm down gang, i know i don't catch many fish.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-08, 08:35 PM   #29
bamabassman

to finish what i started, i know i don't catch many fish. BUT i ain't givin away all my lures,lmao.
Old 12-18-08, 08:58 PM   #30
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
hookup.....what's wrong wit da helicopter lure? hey pal, i got a BOX of em fer ya,hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

well for me it would be the dropshot as well. too complicated to rig up for me. other than that i would have to say the soft jerk baits, i think ya'll call em flukes. i sent ALL mine to a couple of fellow friends on here,lol. i just can't seem to use them right i guess. hope they catch a bunch on em. if i can't catch fish on a lure.... i give it away.

calm down gang, i know i don't catch many fish.
A drop shot rig is very easy to tie. You just have to break it down by the numbers.

1- measure off about 2 ft of line from the end. That makes your tag end about 2 feet.
2-Using a #1 or 1/0 Gami Drop Shot hook tie a regular Palomar knot. You still have a 2 ft tag end.
3-take the end of your tag end and go through the eye of the hook from the front side. Now pull it down and the hook now stay parallel to the line.
4-Take your drop shot weight and attach it to the end of the tag line. I would recommend that you make the length of the tag end to the weight no more then 14-18 inches. Personally I like 14 inches for 90% of my drop shoting.
5-As for what plastic to use. Start with a Zoom 5 inch finesse worm in Green Pumpkin, and nose hook it.
That's it.
Practice a few times and it will become 2nd nature.

Line Twist issues:
1-Use a small Spro swivel about 1-2 ft up from the hook. So your drop shot rig would be a 3-4 ft piece of line.
2-use a drop shot weight with a swivel as a alternate method
3-Do as I do and use 10 lb Braid as your main line, then tie on the drop shot rig. Absolutely no line twist issues with Braid.
Old 12-18-08, 09:01 PM   #31
bamabassman

numbers? hahaha too many numbers buddy. i'd rather just get ol bigbassin144 back down here....he'll fix it up for me. right bb? come on down pal.
Old 12-19-08, 12:50 PM   #32
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I guess it would have to be the Carolina rig, and the only reason for that is the fact that I hardly ever used the thing. Well you see, before this year I wasn't at all familiar with the pignjig, so what I did was force my self to learn it by painstakingly focussing all of my attention to it. So now that I'm confident with the jig, next year I'll try to pick up the C-rig.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 01:08 PM   #33
cassidyta

Joel-
I mostly agree with you but you also have to be willing to adjust your tag on the conditions. There are time where I find that I have to drop down to 6 inches from the bottom for it to work.
Also, since I do a lot of drop shotting in areas where I get snagged a lot, I attach my wieght with a simple square knot. That way, all I lose in a snag is the weight.
Old 12-19-08, 01:41 PM   #34
Megastrike
BassFishin.Com Member

Years ago when I wouldnt have "CONFIDENCE" in a bait (as the now topic "STAY AWAY BAIT" ) I would look at it and try to figure out the triggering qualities of it. I know alot of guys catching fish with it but I just never had the confidece to put down the confidence bait I was using to try a new one. Then I learned how to do it. I would go to a local pond or lake and bring nothing but that bait I had no confidence in. I would throw it and learn all the little tricks and tactics about that bait. I would learn to master it.After trial and error it would all come together.I would know how and under what conditions to apply that bait and the techniques I have learned. Then I would try another bait and then another,.For some of you guys I heard the buzzbait mentioned. Man let me tell you something!!! Some spring ,summer or fall day -just grab a few different sizes and colors. Throw the things all day. learn how to manipulate it. I guarantee that it will be one of the most productive and funn lures you will ever throw. Tournemnt days-I start the first 2 hours of the day searching for active bass. Even innactive bass will hit that bait out of aggression. They can be the most violent strikes you will ever get. You can pi$$ your pants at times. Its worth it. The same with a jig or any other bait you dont have confidence in. Just bring that one bait and master it. Then it becomes part of your fishing arsenal.When you learn how to do this you grow as a person and angler.LEARN TO ADAPT. if you dont have cofidence stay home-and thats no fun -pick up those baits and get out there and become a more well rounded angler.
Megastrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 04:09 PM   #35
Bryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Carolina rig! Can't stand em!
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-08, 08:20 PM   #36
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Joel-
I mostly agree with you but you also have to be willing to adjust your tag on the conditions. There are time where I find that I have to drop down to 6 inches from the bottom for it to work.
Also, since I do a lot of drop shotting in areas where I get snagged a lot, I attach my wieght with a simple square knot. That way, all I lose in a snag is the weight.
Agreed. But since 90% of my Drop Shoting is done by pitching my rig, the length of the tag end isn't really that critical as I'm sure that my plastic Zoom finesse worm is only a few inches off the bottom. Will have to start using a square knot as I've lost so many rigs I can literally tie the whole DS rig blind folded.
Old 12-19-08, 11:18 PM   #37
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've tried to focus on learning one or two tactics each year, this year I practice crankbaits more and drop shotting.

Next summer, I really need to practice the C-rig and jigs. One bait Ireally don't have confidence in right now is the C-rig, I've used it on and off during the summer with no results. So when I did use it, I've jus tbeen fine tuning line, weight, etc and getting the feel for it.

BB
Old 12-20-08, 07:08 AM   #38
Basscrazie

Jigs and chatter baits,I have them tied on and just have no confidence in them.I am trying to pitch jigs more.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-08, 11:36 AM   #39
Jigger

NO CONFIDENCE:
1.Drop shot
2.Shakey head
3.Lipless crank bait
4.Swimbait

Great Confidence:
1.Jig and Pig
2.Spinnerbait
3.Pop R
4.10 inch Power Worm
5.Crank baits
6.Flippin Tube
7.Sweet Beaver T rigged
8.Lizards T rigged

Some confidence:
1.Jerk baits
2.C-rig
3.Spooks
4.Buzzbaits
5.Chatterbaits
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-08, 11:57 AM   #40
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
NO CONFIDENCE:
1.Drop shot
2.Shakey head
3.Lipless crank bait
4.Swimbait

Great Confidence:
1.Jig and Pig
2.Spinnerbait
3.Pop R
4.10 inch Power Worm
5.Crank baits
6.Flippin Tube
7.Sweet Beaver T rigged
8.Lizards T rigged

Some confidence:
1.Jerk baits
2.C-rig
3.Spooks
4.Buzzbaits
5.Chatterbaits
Jigger, if you love to work a 10 inch power worm on the bottom tex rigged, you're 90% shaky head fishing. Just switch off to a Zoom Trick worm. Whether or not you use a Shaky Head jig or just a bullet wt pegged and a tex posed worm, the technique is the basically the same.
Old 12-21-08, 11:32 AM   #41
Jigger

Thumbs up

Quote:
Jigger, if you love to work a 10 inch power worm on the bottom tex rigged, you're 90% shaky head fishing. Just switch off to a Zoom Trick worm. Whether or not you use a Shaky Head jig or just a bullet wt pegged and a tex posed worm, the technique is the basically the same.
Thanks Joel. I'll try it.
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 03:15 PM   #42
Lilmoosecountry

[QUOTE=zooker;213778]i am happy i aint..i think...

for me it is the dropshot.. i don't use it.. imo it is just too dam slow.. i loath a carolina rig but force my self to use it..

zookI was like you. Cast the dang thing. Then swimit like a crankbait. That's how i use it. It may not be right but it works & speeds things up.
Old 12-22-08, 03:59 PM   #43
BassAddict

It's funny to see who likes and dislikes what lures. Several guys don't like pnj's or spinnerbaits... man that's what I catch 75% of all my BIG bass on. They are 2 baits I have tied on all year and won't think to go fishing with them.
Old 12-22-08, 04:57 PM   #44
Lilmoosecountry

zooker I was like you. Cast the dang thing. Then swim it like a crankbait. Just keep contact with the bottom. That's how i use it. It may not be right but it works & speeds things
Old 01-05-09, 08:00 AM   #45
TRUMAN BASSER
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't have a stay away bait but sometimes I can get stubborn and not switch it up enough.
TRUMAN BASSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 09:50 AM   #46
Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUMAN BASSER View Post
I don't have a stay away bait but sometimes I can get stubborn and not switch it up enough.
I'm actually the opposite, as I tend to switch too often when the bite is slow.
Old 01-05-09, 10:21 AM   #47
Basscrazie

This month i have no confidence in me..Its me not the baits..Sad month for me.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 10:33 AM   #48
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
I'm actually the opposite, as I tend to switch too often when the bite is slow.
That's my problem as well. I don't have enough patience.

BB
Old 01-05-09, 10:36 AM   #49
Lilmoosecountry

some junk called the Banjo Minnow or a thing called the torando. Used in conjunction with the pocket fishermen. Idiots thatz all i got to say.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.