Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-05, 10:48 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default Fall Patterns For Early Fall Bass

Fall Patterns For Early Fall Bass

Written By: Tim Mason

September 2005

Introduction

Before I start this article on Early Fall Bass I just want to thank a few important people that seldom ever receive a Thank You. First I want to say that I am proud to be working for a fine organization like Tennessee Bass Guides and it's owner Rick McFerrin. His dedication to God, family, staff, clients and friends are beyond excellent. In this fishing business I have only met a handful of professionals. As a professional solider for over 20 years, I know the traits a professional person should acquire. Traits such as honesty, sincerity and care for your customer, clients and staff. Rick is one of the few along with Greg Cole, Andy Ralston, Brenda Ralston, Julie Shuster and Stuart Gann at Bass Pro Shop and Terry King of GrandPa's Sporting Goods Store in Clarksville. Thanks to everyone that visits this site and those of you that visit me at Bass Pro Shops....God Bless each and everyone of you always. Timothy Mason

Fall Patterns!!!

Fall may be "The" season that most Bass fishermen are looking forward to. This is the magic time of year when we are suppose to load our boats with bass and everyone looks like Kevin Van Dam at the end of the day. But, the truth is, Fall fishing can be tough. Bass are moving from their summer holding areas in search of food before settling into a winter pattern.

The biggest mistake that I see most anglers make is they start running back into the coves to early. The experienced angler will know that bass can be caught in all seasonal stages at this time of the year. Mother nature may bring in severe cold fronts, overcast rainy days or even summer like temperatures in the early fall which can change things from day to day. If your not on the water at least two or three times a week, it can be hard to find a good pattern. Here are a few tips that may help improve your success on your next early fall fishing trip.

Start by fishing the main river channel points in 10 to 15 feet of water first and adjacent main lake flats. Then start making your way back methodically into the cove. Look for grass in 2 to 8 feet of water, long tapering points that stair step into 20 feet depths. Don't overlook honey holes like Creek bridge rip rap areas, old boat docks, bluff walls and ledges. Cover allot of water but always slow down on primary and secondary points.

Lures of choice should include lipless crank baits, shallow crank baits which run one to five feet deep and those that will run eight to twelve feet deep as well. Don't fail to try soft jerk baits, buzz baits and 3/8 oz and 1/2 oz spinner baits and Carolina rigs with lizards, craw worms or four inch straight tail worms. Baits that seems to be over looked at this time of the year also include a 1/4 oz lipless crank bait in Black/Chrome or Blue/Chrome, 1/4-3/8oz jigs in black/blue or brown/orange, 3 inch grubs in smoke, watermelon and June bug thrown on a 3/16th or 1/4 head or sassy shad in black and pearl or blue and pearl. For you top water lovers don't forget the Boy Howdy, Zara Spook in off shore or black and chrome.

I hope this helps you....be sure to take a kid fishing this fall and God Bless....Tim Mason Guide Tennessee Bass Guides.com
Old 10-11-05, 11:48 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Great Advise

Couldn't have said it better...nice post Tim
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-05, 10:11 PM   #3
KH.
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

hey are you tim,if so,you need to join.its not a everyday thing to have info like this,its way better than the advice i give thats like 5 words long

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.