Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-06, 10:44 AM   #1
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default iron boy

here ya go..

this is a rock pile it drops off deep-11feet- toward the bottom of the pic. the rock pile -actually a rock vein- runs the width of the picture but only 5 feet wide the far side drops into 28-35 feet of water...look carefully at the picture to the right of the exposed rocks you see the light colored roundish shaped things them are rocks in 4 feet of water..

this is a series of pictures crossin this rock vein from deep water

this is coming down the far side -i aint wackin my lower unit on a rock fer your sorry butt

any questions now i done did DRAW you a picture..yep i know the water temp changed i was moving..

zooker
Old 07-04-06, 10:56 AM   #2
WTL

Hey Zook, I notice we have the same depth finder. The last two weeks I have been having a problem with mine in depths of 2 foot or shallower where it would stop reading...do you have a similar problem (is it a problem intrinsic to that model)?
Old 07-04-06, 11:06 AM   #3
zooker

mine bounces when shallow reads way deep 5-15 feet while i am stiring mud with the troller. i belive it is reading the bounce sound wave. not the bottom sound wave. this is the only problem i have ever had with this depth finder.. i have found that this is a problem with alot of differant depth finders..

zooker
Old 07-04-06, 11:10 AM   #4
WTL

Alright, that makes sense. Cause mine would do one of 3 things when around 2 foot...it would just give up reading and the number would flash, it would give me a reading of roughly twice what the depth really was (and I could see the proper reading if I looked over on the flasher bar on the right), or it would give me the right reading. Normally this happened when moving over soft muck bottoms.
Old 07-04-06, 03:30 PM   #5
bassintom
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

i have a lowrance X65 that will read 398 ft when the TM transducer is stuck in the mud.i think all finders experience wackiness when you get too shallow.
Old 07-04-06, 04:10 PM   #6
Rebbasser

Yep. My front one read 674 or some odd feet when up shallow a couple of weeks ago. They all have their little quirks. Last week my bow mount turned off every time I stepped on the trolling motor. Switched the power cord between the front and back depthfinder at the fuse box-problem solved.
Old 07-04-06, 06:11 PM   #7
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

mine says "too F****** SHALLOW!!!"
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-06, 08:01 PM   #8
WTL

Well then let me ask another question. Since some of these problems are due to interference, would moving the transducer possibly help alleviate some of the problem? What about simplifying the way the power cord connects to the battery (a closed circuit with no other accesories drawing off it)?
Old 07-04-06, 08:05 PM   #9
zooker

no wtl you need a in line fuse on any of this type equipment.. i have never heard of any thing interfearing with the depth finders. i run my front depth finder off my troller battery no interfearance with it.. i think that as long as you are in more than 2 feet of water and it is working properly don't mess with it..

zooker
Old 07-04-06, 08:12 PM   #10
WTL

Ok. I do have the fuse. Maybe I just noticed the problem a bit more because I spent about 2 weeks in 2 foot of water (by the way, the southern kissimmee chain is waay down).
Old 07-04-06, 08:17 PM   #11
zooker

nah ya think?? i almost was launching in the parking lot this morning 2 feet over full pond..

zooker
Old 07-04-06, 08:21 PM   #12
WTL

Well they could use some of that water. And what got me was they kept the gates open for the whole trip. I mean we did have rain in the evenings, they could have raised it a little. Instead I spent 2 weeks sharpening my aluminum prop on sandy shellbeds and trying to interpret a depthfinder that was having seizures when I could have just as easily reached over the gunwhale and felt the bottom with my hand.
Old 07-04-06, 08:58 PM   #13
fishin fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Readin y'alls post about graph units I learned a few things myself. First of all run power directly from the battery or a single power source off of your accessory slot on the fuse board with an in-line fuse of proper amp rating. You can get electrical interference by pulling power from other sources, i.e. keyswitch, power side of tach, etc. Also make sure your transducer is made to be used as a trolling motor mount type. Those that are not will give false readings from interference. You can find this out by calling manfacturer of your unit. Also when routing transducer cable keep it separated from other electrical wires especially the wiring harness with the tach wires it can cause you fits.(Know this from personal experience). When mounting a transducer inside the boat be sure and get all air bubbles out of the epoxy or you will pull your hair out.(Another personal experience). That's all I can think of right now. I went to a seminar one time and these were some of the main points they made at the lecture.
fishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-06, 10:35 PM   #14
zooker

having seen how much hair your pack i think ya pulled a tad to much...
you have to direct dead wire it to the battery not to get interfearance like i did with my troller..

zooker
Old 07-08-06, 02:23 PM   #15
bassnman30
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mine has interferance from the main engine.
Hull installed transducer, from the factory.
Tryed different depth finders, they were all the same.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.