Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-07, 09:55 PM   #1
lunker-lander
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander
Default Frog Stik

Hey Guys, 'nother question for ya'll. This Spring I plan to get a new frog stick for fishin', you guessed it, frogs, Horny Toads, Buzz Frogs, Jimmy's, Spooks, Sammy's - all that you can imagine. I am preferably looking for St.Croix, or Falcon brand. What action, length, power, etc. would you reccommend for optimal performance? Looking to spend about $280-380 dollars on rod and reel. I saw this rod, but is it too heavy for what I plan to use it for? Take a look:

CC-8-2710XHT-T7
Bobby's Perfect Frog Rod
XH
M
20-40 lb.
3/8 to 2 oz.
7' 10"
B
Use this Cara for casting those plastic imitations onto and around grass mats, reeds, milfoil, and duckweed.

What do you think? Also, are the Cara's very heavy, like above 6oz.'s? Carolina-Rig-01, I know you promote the Cara's, what do you think?

-LL-
Old 12-02-07, 10:00 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

to heavy. it is VERY long-hard to fish from shore with a 7'10'' rod.. a xh rod is a heavy beast to chunk da frog for a long time..

my rod is a fenwick hmx frog 7'3'' heavy action stick. -you have to custom order them here on the east coast..

zooker
Old 12-02-07, 10:41 PM   #3
lunker-lander

How much Zook? I'm looking to spend $160-190 on the rod, $140-170 on the reel. Iwas thinkin' about the Quantum Burner for the reel. Any take on that subject?

-LL-
Old 12-03-07, 01:20 AM   #4
WIUbassin
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I bought a quantum energy burner off ebay last spring originally i think like 189 for around 120 after shipping. I love it, probably my favorite reel, though I did just get a revo sx a few days ago so time will tell if there will be a new favorite...

Last edited by WIUbassin; 12-03-07 at 01:37 PM.
WIUbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 12:40 PM   #5
lunker-lander

What is the gear ratio on the Burner? I'm lookin' for at least a 6.3:1 or higher. Preferably a 7.0 or 7.1:1.

-LL-
Old 12-03-07, 01:38 PM   #6
WIUbassin

The burners are 7.0:1 if I am not mistaken.
Old 12-03-07, 01:55 PM   #7
garry_3000

Tahe an look at this one. www.tacklewarehouse.com/descpageRDCDIAWA-TDLTFR.html
garry_3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 02:05 PM   #8
garry_3000

That is an great starter frog rod I had one for two years now I use an Setyr 7' 2" frog rod with an Quantum Burner 7:1 and 65 Power pro

Setyr frog rod is about 239.99 I think And you can find the Burner on Ebay new for about 140 plus ship
Old 12-03-07, 04:56 PM   #9
lunker-lander

I think I am going with the Diawa Steez for the rod, not sure about the reel yet...
LOL...

I think I'll stick to St.Croix, maybe with the Burner reel. The new, 60th Anniversary St.Croix website sucks though, they took away their interactive rod selector.

-LL-
Old 12-03-07, 05:01 PM   #10
lunker-lander

Although...

Check these bad girls out. Lamiglas Pro Certified's:

XC725 7'2" Tournament Frog Rod
>Lure Weight: 3/8-1 1/2
>XC725, 12-25lb Line. The Tournament Frog Rod was developed in conjunction with some of the West's best frogmen, like Bobby Barrack. The soft tip section casts Bobby's Perfect Frog just great and the heavy butt section will help you lever the bass out of the salad and into the boat.XC734 7'3" Topwater Special Rod
>Lure Weight: 3/8-3/4
>XC 734, 8-17lb Line. The Topwater Special. This rod is perfect for topwaters but you'll find plenty of other things you'll like to do with it as well. The 7'3" length will help you throw any hard bait farther and the extra length will allow solid hooksets farther from the boat as well. Try throwing your favorite buzzbait on this rod.

Good for all topwater? Will it handle not just frogs, but Sammy's, Jimmy's, Spook's, buzzbaits, etc.?

-LL-
Old 12-03-07, 06:13 PM   #11
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIUbassin View Post
a quantum energy burner
i have one. i am NOT impressed by it. i use an extreme 6.3. i actually like them BETTER than the burner with the frog. the burner is to fast for the application imo you will literly pull the bait away from the fish..

zooker
Old 12-03-07, 06:43 PM   #12
lunker-lander

Thanks Zook. One question though - Will 50,60, or 70 pound PP cast far enough with a frog tied on? I mean, will a Horny Tiad or the like cast easily with braid?

-LL-
Old 12-03-07, 08:17 PM   #13
pig n jig

Does a frog stick got to be green in color ?
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 08:24 PM   #14
zooker

pmj
nope mine is black..

the lighter the line the farther the cast will go...i use 30 pound test..

zooker
Old 12-03-07, 09:04 PM   #15
WallStreetAmigo

Speaking of heavier braided lines, when would it be necessary to use 50 to 70 lb test braid? I use 20lb PP and have pulled up logs with it. I have never had a problem with the strength at all. Just curious as to why and when you would want to go that much heavier.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 09:16 PM   #16
lunker-lander

Got 'ya. After some thought you are truly right. Up here in Michigan, the stuff I fish is waaaay different than the $hit you fish down South, like hydrilla, thick milfoil, etc. I might try 30LB PowerPro.

Next, according to Zook, the Burner ain't worth it for froggin', so what else are my options? What other reels would you reccommend? Is 6.3:1 to fast?

-LL-
Old 12-03-07, 09:55 PM   #17
Rebbasser

LL-50 ln braid will cast just fine. I use a Falcon Low Rider 6'10" H action for a frog rod with 50 lb Powerpro.

WSA-I use 50 lb Powerpro simply because it is the same diameter as 12 lb mono.

BTW, I was about to PM you-there is a package on the way
Old 12-03-07, 10:35 PM   #18
lunker-lander

I was looking at a Croix Legend Tournament Bass rod. Heavy action, 7 footer, but NO TRIGGER GRIP! What's up with that?

-LL-
Old 12-03-07, 10:39 PM   #19
Rebbasser

No trigger? Sure it isn't a spinning rod?
Old 12-03-07, 10:52 PM   #20
lunker-lander

Almost 99.9% sure, maybe I am wrong though. What other rods would you reccommend for me in the 160-200 dollar range?

-LL-
Old 12-03-07, 11:00 PM   #21
lunker-lander

Well, I don't konw-I guess I was looking at the wrong picture.This rod is 7 feet, Heavy power, Fast action, 1 piece, 4.4 ounces, 14-25 pound line, 3/8-1.5OZ lure weight, and $240.00. The handle is one of those split cork kind. What do you think about them. Here are the handle choices, this rod has a handle number 2. Take a look:

What is your guys opinions on these handles? I personally think they give you better grip and control.

-LL-
Old 12-04-07, 12:18 AM   #22
Rebbasser

LL, the ones on the bottom without the trigger are spinning rods. If you could see the first guide I'd bet it is much larger than the ones on the trigger sticks which is another indication it is a spinning rod.

I have not used a split grip rod like those. The reason for it is to lighten the rod, which in some cases is a good thing. I think it is one of those personal preference things.

Regarding rod recommendations-very rarely will I pay more than $100 for a rod. That's just me, but I find rods in that range are high quality and are worth the price. My favorites are Falcon Low Riders-the vast majority of the rods I use are Low Riders. They have performed just like I want them to.

My recommendation to you is to go someplace where you can get your hands on some rods and see how they feel. See which one feels right, which is comfortable-the one that "fits".

Keep in mind what you are going to use it for. For example, a crankbait rod, topwater rod or spinnerbait rod don't need to be as sensitive as a worm or jig rod, and you can save some money there. A few weeks back I was looking for a deep running crankbait rod. I was on the way to Bass Pro Shops but got caught in a traffic jam. Turned off and went in a different direction and as I did so I passed another sporting goods store so I stopped and went in. In the rod section they were clearing out for $30 some American Rodsmith rods. I picked up a 7' M action popping rod-salt water-rated for 3/4 oz. baits, which is what a DD-22 weighs. Rigged it up and next trip threw that big crankbait on it and it was perfect for deep cranking. My point is you don't have to have the high $$$ rods for all applications.

Consider the application you will use it for and find the one that works for you.
Old 12-04-07, 07:09 AM   #23
lunker-lander

I know what you mean about the money thing Reb, but with St.Croix, the higher you go, the fancier it gets. Also, the Legend Bass/Walleye Tournament rods have a liftime warranty. Sweet if you fish like we do all the time. By the way, this rods is called the "Slop-N-Frog", made especially for topwater Horny Toads, Buzz Frogs, Sammy's, Jimmy's, etc. by St.Croix. I guess you could say it's a "tool for the job".

-LL-
Old 12-04-07, 01:04 PM   #24
garry_3000

Lunker, I would use an 6' or 6'6" med action rod for sammy, spooks, jimmys, popr, Because like an crank bait you have to feel the fish before you set the hook. With an long heavyr action rod you can pull the hooks out of the fishs mouth.
Old 12-04-07, 01:07 PM   #25
WIUbassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i have one. i am NOT impressed by it. i use an extreme 6.3. i actually like them BETTER than the burner with the frog. the burner is to fast for the application imo you will literly pull the bait away from the fish..

zooker
Yeah I probably should have put a disclaimer that my energy burner I don't actually use for frog fishing, usually I use it for cranks and spinners. Ironically enough I use an extreme as well on my frog type set up.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.