Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-10, 12:33 PM   #1
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Got newer boat, what type of oils to use

I got my first oil injection boat, and I was wondering what oils to use and what not to use. The guy I bought the boat from ran Evin-rude oil and my last boat was pre mix and i ran blue marble and recommendations would be a good help thank you.
twigass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 01:52 PM   #2
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigass View Post
I got my first oil injection boat, and I was wondering what oils to use and what not to use. The guy I bought the boat from ran Evin-rude oil and my last boat was pre mix and i ran blue marble and recommendations would be a good help thank you.

What year and Make/model engine ?
Basscat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 03:25 PM   #3
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Is this the '97 Stratos w/200... are you sure it's not EFI?.. hard to believe that a 97 would be oil injection over EFI.. If it is oil injection I would be wary of the system, I took my oil injection out of my old boat and mixed my gas. Primarily for peace of mind, if that oil injection pump fails your engine will burn up...also, don't forget to use some sta-bil marine fuel stabilizer..ETHANOL SUCKS!
Old 02-01-10, 09:51 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Jason..my 97 johnson venom is oil injected. I use johnson,evinrude or wally world. whatever my wallet can buy at the moment.
Old 02-01-10, 10:18 PM   #5
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

it is a 1986 evy and the original owner ran evy mix i was wondering if i could use the blue marble I have cause i still have 3 gallons left from last year and no its not a strat its a ranger with a 150 evy on it.
Old 02-01-10, 10:19 PM   #6
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I am extremely anal about using the manufacturer's oil. When I had Merc, I ran Merc oil. Now I have a Yammie and I'm running Yamaha oil & fuel additive and the blue Stabil in my fuel. It's more expensive to do so, but I've been fortunate with my outboards and don't want to risk running oil or additives other than the outboard manufacturer's products. I heard of others that use other brands, and that's fine for them, I won't do it.
If you have an older engine, or any engine for that matter, you should look at adding a fuel/water seperation filter (10 micron) between the gas tank and your squeeze bulb. Ethanol fuel is an outboard killer, as it absorbs water. The filter is a little extra insurance.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 10:37 PM   #7
twigass
BassFishin.Com Member

its got the water fuel separator and like i said he ran the blue print bottle of evinrude and I guess that's what I'll run cause like I said first oil injection system and don't wanna replace what I just bought.
Old 02-02-10, 02:29 PM   #8
Abbeysdad

I believe nearly all oil injected OB's will recommend 2 stroke TCW II or TCW III, so get oil with that certification and you should be fine. Actually the cap on your oil reservoir will likely indicate the required oil certification. (Just like the SAE certification for auto oil - doesn't matter who makes it as long as it meets or exceeds a minimum standard).

From a given oil mfg:

TC-W3 oil is specifically designed for 2 stroke outboard engines. Lubrimatic TC-W3 oil features outstanding lubricity and miscibility for better fuel and oil mixing, resulting in a cleaner running engine. It also has superior protection against piston scuffing, bearing wear, spark plug fouling, pre-ignition and rust.

This oil meets the specified requirements of all 2-cycle outboard manufacturers. This formulation contains no phosphorus and will not void manufacturer warranties. It is recommended for use in oil injection systems.

Last edited by Abbeysdad; 02-02-10 at 02:38 PM.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 11:17 AM   #9
lilmule

Only the ETECS take a special oil with additive,use of any other oil without that additive can be harmfull.
All other omc arnt picky any good grade oil will do,as for oilers I always disconnect mine,as fail at over 60 mph ,gears are plastic.
Have a Venom,,XP,and have owned a GT(just sold it) all with oilers disconnected,the gt didnt even have an oil alarm just an overheat alarm.
If your running below 60 that oiler will do ok,in most situations.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.