Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-05, 10:10 AM   #1
Fish On
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Fish On
Default Fixing up my boat

I have a little 12 foot jon boat and I am going to fix it up before I tournaments start again. I am first going to make a deck and carpet it. Next I will add pidistil seats. Under the deck there will be storage and livewell. I will also be buying a trolling motor. We usually car top but we are getting a trailer. Now are there any tips on these? easier ways to install? etc?
Old 10-13-05, 11:27 AM   #2
Mac1

Lowe's and others sell a Marine Carpet......sounds like it would be water proof, but it lets the water through and drains well. Not to be used on bare wood. If you need to, fiberglass the wood deck before using Marine Carpet...
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-05, 03:49 PM   #3
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Don't overdo it. In fact, leave the livewell exposed (say use a cooler). It will be easier to clean, and you will be able to fit it in better. On such a small boat you don't want too much dead weight and an expansive deck will cause that - it will also screw up the center of gravity and the way the boat planes. SO, give yourself maybe 3 feet - just enough deck to stand on and maybe shift your weight.
Old 10-13-05, 05:26 PM   #4
Fish On

I was thinking about just using the front as deck
Old 10-13-05, 06:18 PM   #5
Rebbasser

Take a look here:

http://www.myjonboat.com/

And here:

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/bass_boat.html

That ought to point you in the right direction. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 10-13-05, 09:32 PM   #6
WTL

Yes, but just the front, if you mean the front half of the boat, might as I said be too much weight. A 12 foot jon boat is about as small a boats as I've ever heard of for someone building a deck, so less is more. A boat that big isn't normally very wide either, hence as stable - so you want the deck mounted lower. IMO.
Old 10-13-05, 09:40 PM   #7
Fish On

The boat is divided into 3 parts. I may just do 3/4 of front so I can put other stuff under the deck
Old 10-13-05, 09:46 PM   #8
Rebbasser

If you do a front deck like WTL said, don't get too heavy. A buddy of mine converted a ski boat with a walk-through windshield into a bass boat-put a deck where people used to sit. Worked OK, but real nose heavy-speared more than one wave. The added weight threw off the center of gravity.
Old 10-16-05, 06:36 AM   #9
RatLTrap
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to RatLTrap

Listen to WTL sounds like he knows what he's talking about... I converted a 15 foot jon boat into what your talking about and it sorta messed it up... + you gonna have to get a trailer if your putting decks and stuff... gets heavy
Old 10-16-05, 11:41 AM   #10
zooker

a full sheet of 3/4 " ply wood is 28 pounds pressure treated 34 pounds divide by half this is the weight you will get screwed down with carpet.. 3/4" pin bases weigh 6 pounds-roughly- pedastal and seat you are looking at 30 more pounds. that is roughly 50 pounds of weight added to the nose of a boat.on a 12 foot jon boat -most are 32"beam-it will sit 2 +" lower in the water. as wtl said this boat will be very unstable when you are sitting in the pedstale seat.to balance out the boat you will have to add your weight plus 50 pounds to the back end of the boat. a 30 pound eletric moter will help a 60 pound battery will also but it will push your boat 4" lower in the water.here is were the problem rears it's ugly head. most small jon boats float empty in 4" of water most have 12"-14" sides. take 12" for example takes 4" to float it add this weight making it 8" leaving you with 4 " of sides out of the water. add your weight and it MIGHT have 1" of sides sticking out of the water. which aint good. most wake waves are 10"-18" high..need i say more ... best thing to do is forget the deck idea. add low rise seat swivels to the aluminum seat bench put on a seat add the troller -i have extended cables on my boat putting the battery at mid boat- but what do i know i anit got but 2 jon boats,a stratos bass boat,and a creek boat...

zooker
Old 10-16-05, 08:00 PM   #11
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
a full sheet of 3/4 " ply wood is 28 pounds pressure treated 34 pounds divide by half this is the weight you will get screwed down with carpet.. 3/4" pin bases weigh 6 pounds-roughly- pedastal and seat you are looking at 30 more pounds. that is roughly 50 pounds of weight added to the nose of a boat.on a 12 foot jon boat -most are 32"beam-it will sit 2 +" lower in the water. as wtl said this boat will be very unstable when you are sitting in the pedstale seat.to balance out the boat you will have to add your weight plus 50 pounds to the back end of the boat. a 30 pound eletric moter will help a 60 pound battery will also but it will push your boat 4" lower in the water.here is were the problem rears it's ugly head. most small jon boats float empty in 4" of water most have 12"-14" sides. take 12" for example takes 4" to float it add this weight making it 8" leaving you with 4 " of sides out of the water. add your weight and it MIGHT have 1" of sides sticking out of the water. which aint good. most wake waves are 10"-18" high..need i say more ... best thing to do is forget the deck idea. add low rise seat swivels to the aluminum seat bench put on a seat add the troller -i have extended cables on my boat putting the battery at mid boat- but what do i know i anit got but 2 jon boats,a stratos bass boat,and a creek boat...

zooker

That hurt my HEAD just reading all that

Lizards
Old 10-17-05, 05:51 PM   #12
zooker

don't get me started or i can make your eyes roll in to the back of your head or bug out -ask laser- think you are having a migraine now? haaaa.. remember i have to think DOWN TO THIS LEVEL..

zooker
Old 10-18-05, 10:16 PM   #13
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
Take a look here:

http://www.myjonboat.com/

And here:

http://www.bassresource.com/fishing/bass_boat.html

That ought to point you in the right direction. Good luck and keep us posted!
man, I really shouldn't have looked at that. Its got my mind in "project" mode. Unfortunately my 9 footer is really too small to be doing that kind of stuff. I'd like to add a 12" pedestal to my seats but afraid it will put me up to high making me more prone to tip. Also, since I don't have a trailer, I need to place it on top of the jeep, and considering the trails I have to drive on to get to the lakes I go to, I really can't afford 12 more inches going to some of those lakes.......I seem to pick the hardest ones to get to......I wonder why?
Old 10-18-05, 10:21 PM   #14
KH.

me too,i have jon boat small.one 10 foot,with a two hp motor,comes in handy now,i fishing a lake that is 6 feet down and you cant run anything in it,all the fish are surrounding this hump,never saw before,i have to find a way to get a life well in the seats though????
Old 10-18-05, 10:30 PM   #15
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule
That hurt my HEAD just reading all that

Lizards
we all know lizards have small heads, lol, j/k
Old 10-19-05, 04:49 AM   #16
zooker

ohhh dammmm that is cold rob..

zooker
Old 10-19-05, 07:22 AM   #17
1FASTLASER

Talk about kicking a person's arse. LOL Man that was a low blow. Ok lizards GETEM. LOL

I have built several boats for people and have found if you take a small enough peice of ply and screw it to the ribs runningacross the bottom of the boat you can mount a seat IF you have enough room for the pedastal base. Just raise it high enough so you can do this. But dont forget that you have to have room for the trolling motor control if you using a foor controlled. Doing it this way the center of bravity stays low and you can keep your arse DRY. LOL
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-05, 01:03 AM   #18
WTL

Thinking on it a bit more, here is what you should do Fish On....

Forget a deck - forget making it like a bass boat, its not. Instead, add a plywood floor - the difference is you mount it in the bottom of the boat far down. Use 1/2 inch plywood, but first use some of that "foam in a can" insulator in the bottom to both dampen the sound, help give the plywood a little support in the middle (since you are using the lighter 1/2 inch) and also, the more foam in a boat, the better for bouyancy's sake should you get swamped.

I think you can still get by with a seat, but if you have the option go with a butt seat or one of those low profile plastic seats they get at walmart. You don't need a lazyboy up there anyway, its a jon boat. Livewell, cooler, and battery should all be in the back or middle of the boat. If it all balances like I think it should, you will probably be able to stand up and do some fishing - you can't run around and do jumpingjacks on the deck - nor can I on my deck (which is on a bigger boat), but you can stand up with a reasonable amount of stability.
Old 10-21-05, 11:02 AM   #19
lizardsrule

Dang man, should've kept my mouth shut LMAO Of course that's the not the first or last time my words have gotten into trouble Good one Rob

To give a little input here(see I can't shut up LOL), the seat for Rodman shouldn't be a problem, just get a removable pedastal seat, then it will only add a few inches.

Quit trying to make a 9' boat into a "Bass" boat. It's a great fishing boat, but in that small of a boat, storage, stability, power retrictions and on and on won't allow you to make it into much without horribly affecting the floatability, and stabilty of the boat. Keep it like it is, but spend the money on a newer bigger boat where you can do some things if you want to build it up. Don't get me wrong, working on your fishing boat has lots of enjoyment for me, but you just can't do much with a 9' boat. So instead of spending money on it, for things that it really can't do, save it up to buy a bigger jon boat, something around 16'. And then go to work on it. By the way you can find 16' jon boats anywhere for about nothing, just gotta look. Go to lakes, find ones that have been sitting for awhile. Heck most guys I see end up giving the away eventually anyway. But if you try to do a lot of modifications to that boat it will ruin it IMO. I would do things like add rods holders along the sides, and a portable Livewell, seats. But that's about it, anything else just starts adding to much weight in a 9' boat. This is all just my opinion of course, it's your boat do as you want with it.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.