Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-06, 12:19 PM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default catfishing

hey guys... Well, I will be fishing at the local pond on thursday. Now, for a while i have had that ugly stik and a shimano stradic 5000 reel, both which never get used because they are too big for bassin' IMO. I see some channel cats swimming someimes, and i know where they are. I'd also like to go for carp sometime,They are probably there, near the snot moss. But anyway, for bait i just ground up meat, fish, dough, a bunchof other stuff. If you have any bait reccomendations I will try them out. I also need to know if 10 pound mono will do... I hear they fight hard but i dont think 10 pounds will break. Then, hook choice. I see people like using trebles, but I will be bassin while this rig is out, so i wanted to usea circle hook and bobber. something that will get stuck easily, and i don't need to pay constant attention. Thanks
Old 08-28-06, 12:26 PM   #2
Vabass22

I have used magic bait from wal mart(chicken blod+liver flavor), or squid. Nobody believes me that either catch fish, but they do, and since your going for the multi species challenge, I would try all kinds of stuff. If you on a dam, I would use 15 lb test, because I have had at least twenty cats break off this summer, on 8 or 10lb line, now I use 20 lb big game, on a heavy action rod, and do pretty good. The best time for catfishing, is in the middle of the summer though. I would use beetle spins, as you are going for practically whatever species you can catch. I use treble alot now, but have caught almost all of my cats early this summer, on a size 1 or 1/0 snelled hook. You can also get a catfish rig, but i prefer a hook on a swivel, or a straight steel leader, if I'm going for bigger ones.
Vabass22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 12:48 PM   #3
mack
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

if youd like to go for carp, use bread..and for cats, stinkbait or worms...NO BOBBER..they are bottom feeder and you will have alot better of a chance fishing the bottom..
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 12:54 PM   #4
bubba bass bigfoot
BassFishin.Com Active Member

yeah i do better fiishing the bottom but still try a bobber and try to get it a foot above the bottom. i use worms and chicken liver... also try shrimp.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 02:50 PM   #5
crankybait

worms, alrighty then. The ugly stik is a medium... still, its a small pond. I doubt a cat cold break my 10 pound there, they're just little channel cats. In that case, Circle hook... Trebles I'd need to set the hook with.
Old 08-28-06, 03:10 PM   #6
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankybait View Post
worms, alrighty then. The ugly stik is a medium... still, its a small pond. I doubt a cat cold break my 10 pound there, they're just little channel cats. In that case, Circle hook... Trebles I'd need to set the hook with.
you do need to give a little bit of a jerk with a circle hook...its made to get them in the corner of the mouth...and remember to set your drag right (especially for carp)...
Old 08-28-06, 04:01 PM   #7
flbassman

Three things are important for catching biggish fish on lightish tackle. Tie a good knot. This is your connection, and you want it strong. Line condition- check your line for frays, and use a good line. Tie an overhand knot in your line. If you can pop it with no problem, switch brands. If you feel a fray, cut your line. I have some callouses (not full out pads, just decent callouses, this is ultra important if you're all padded up), so my fingers aren't sensitive enough to feel nicks real well. So, I run the line between my lips to feel for scratches. Third, drag. A rod and reel combo is a tool. Ten pounds means, that with a perfect knot, under perfect conditions, you can deadlift a ten pound weight. So, you use your rod as a lever for maximum pullage, and your reel as an overflow device. Tie your line to a ten pound weight, and fight it. When your rod starts to bend a lot, your line should slip well before breakage is even a worry. Don't adjust your drag while fighting, it's real easy to overtighten or loosen and lose a fish. DON'T EVER reel through the drag. Get your gear good, and go catch a biggun.
Old 08-28-06, 04:27 PM   #8
crankybait

i see... alright thanks. With the circle hooks, on some other site it said that after a fish takes bait, it turns around and heads in the other direction to swallow them, when the hook sets itself. but i dont see how i can work 2 rigs at once... drag, it should be right. i have it a little on the tighter side but i can still pull it out with a bit of effort. The reel has only been used twice... same with the line, should be in good condition. I will check anyway though. and just out of curiosity... what happens when you reel through the drag?
Old 08-28-06, 04:36 PM   #9
flbassman

It slips, damages gears and lets the fish get away. As for two rigs at once, flip your bail and stick your rod on the bank. Just let it chill. Then fish the other one, or do the same thing. It's good to bring a buddy, that way y'all can watch each others rigs....
Old 08-28-06, 04:41 PM   #10
crankybait

Wouldn't want that to happen, now would i...
Old 08-28-06, 05:12 PM   #11
ILfishinman

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman

ok first, do not use terbels, circle hooks are good, just remember you cant set the hook on them until your sure it is hooked a lil', u gotta let em run a sec and wehen you feel wheight set the hook with medium force. i have a bait recipie i use, have used it for a long time for both cats and carp.

1 lb ground beef
1 8.5 oz box of jiffy cornmuffin mix.
3-4 spoonfulls of Minced Garlic.
1 packet of cheese from easy mac
about 3-4 table spoons of garlic powder
some parmesean cheese.
vanilla or vanilla extract
flour
combine all in a little bucket, use vanilla and flour to get desired consistency. thick anought you can make a big doughball you can toss around with it keeping its general shape
Old 08-28-06, 05:31 PM   #12
crankybait

sounds great... I guess I'll use chicken instead of beef, don't have any beef in our freezer.
Old 08-28-06, 06:02 PM   #13
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Cranky, the best catfish bait I've used is chicken liver-I don't catfish often but when I do I use it. Here's a trick that really works, and no comments from the peanut gallery : Chicken liver does not stay on the hook very well-it just tears off. Get a pair of women's stockings, i.e. pantyhose, and cut off a square that will allow you to wrap the liver in it and then put it on your hook. The hose keep the bait on the hook but are sheer enough to allow the scent to get out. No more stolen bait .
Old 08-28-06, 06:08 PM   #14
crankybait

Yeah, Over here at the baitshop they said chicken livers too... i think I'll use bridal veil instead of pantyhose though... opinions?
Old 08-28-06, 06:26 PM   #15
PowerBass

stockings work best!
Old 08-28-06, 06:41 PM   #16
Christopherkeene9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbassman View Post
It slips, damages gears and lets the fish get away. As for two rigs at once, flip your bail and stick your rod on the bank. Just let it chill. Then fish the other one, or do the same thing. It's good to bring a buddy, that way y'all can watch each others rigs....
It will also twist the line causing it to clump up like a birds nest on a cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack View Post
you do need to give a little bit of a jerk with a circle hook...its made to get them in the corner of the mouth...and remember to set your drag right (especially for carp)...
All you will do by setting a circle hook is pull it out of their mouth. Just reel, no hookset!
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 06:42 PM   #17
crankybait

yeah i was thinking the circle hook wouldn't work if i det it regularly. I'll see if my momm has any stocking lying around... can't go buy any, that would be embarrassing!
Old 08-28-06, 06:54 PM   #18
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopherkeene9 View Post
It will also twist the line causing it to clump up like a birds nest on a cast.

All you will do by setting a circle hook is pull it out of their mouth. Just reel, no hookset!
when i buy eagle claw circle hooks, directions say- when strike is detected, reel, with a light sweep...hmm, works for me...im not gonna change something that works for me just cause somebody doesnt approve..
Old 08-28-06, 06:55 PM   #19
mack

and besides, a little jerk isnt a hook set...it just ensures you get it in there good..
Old 08-28-06, 06:58 PM   #20
Vabass22

Get your mom to buy it or better yet, your dad! Here's my suggestion(again):get some Magic Bait stinkbait, from walmart, when you got to get pantyhose, and just put on a circle hook, and ball two pieces around the hook. This should only run you 3 bucks, and with this rig, they set the hook on themselves, and you can bass fish while paying attention to it. As for drag, when leaving a ord unattended, leave it loose enough so that you can easily pull it out by hand, and if it's too loose, tighten it during the fight.
Old 08-28-06, 07:00 PM   #21
crankybait

Didn't they just say not to tighten while fighting the fish? I think I'll just leave the bait open. Btw, my walmart doesnt have that magic stuff... I have never seen it there.
Old 08-28-06, 07:04 PM   #22
Christopherkeene9

No you can play with your drag at any time! If it wasn't for that most anybodys trolling fish would never be caught.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 07:08 PM   #23
Vabass22

I almost always play with my drag during the fight, at least once, and have never lost a single because of it. If you keep adquate pressure on the fish, then you should be able to land it 99% of the time. As for magic bait, every single walmart I've been to has it. It should be with all the other catfish baits, it's in a bag, thats striped, and says Magic Bait. If your wal mart dont have it, then the local baitshop should.
Old 08-28-06, 07:14 PM   #24
mack

i also adjust my drag during a fight..if im expecting a 2 pound largemouth and a 6 pounder hits, do you think my rod or line is ready for something like that..its important to adjust your drag accordingly..
Old 08-28-06, 07:53 PM   #25
crankybait

ok, well i guess minor changes wouldn't hurt. I guess I'll keep it midway. But when you said to let it loose enough so the fish can run, won't that ruin the hookset?

And our walmart doesn't have any stuff for catfish... I'll take pics next time i go.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.