Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-10, 08:20 PM   #1
Mikekw3
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Mikekw3
Default Thumbing a baitcaster.

If all your adjustments are set properly according to your lure, do you really need to thumb the spool? I no if you casting arround structure or whatever you would thumb it to get the lure to slow down to get it to land where you want. But lets say that you on the water with no wind and u just cast out as far as you can, should you really need to thumb the spool to prevent a backlash?
Mikekw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 08:45 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have played with this idea in the front yard. I can add one thing that might help you decide for yourself. You can tune a baitcast reel to the point that no thumb pressure is needed, but, you will certainly loose out on a lot of performance. Also, as soon as that unexpected gust of wind shows it ugly head, you are going to have a nest that a crow would be proud to call home. Better to spend your time learning to have a great thumb, than spending time making adjustments to your reel. JMHO
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 08:57 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you're reel is set properly, you should need some thumb pressure.

However, you can set the reel (as Tav said) so no pressure at all is needed. But you won't be able to cast as far.

I always leave my reels set so if I don't thumb, I'll get a little overrun. I've found this to give me the best casting distance.

Also, I wouldn't suggest not thumbing because then you get in the habit of not doing it. Then, when you go to cast with your reel properly set and forget to thumb, you get a backlash.

BB
Old 09-14-10, 08:57 PM   #4
CMorg

I agree with 5 , thumb that thing.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-10, 09:06 PM   #5
bcklash

If everything is set right, I use my thumb to set the lure down easy-no splash Does that make sense.
Old 09-14-10, 10:58 PM   #6
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Don't be lazy, train your thumb. There is no good alternative. And besides, why would you wanna do it any other way? That is part of the fun of bait casters!
Old 09-15-10, 12:39 AM   #7
nofearengineer

Thumbing is not just to prevent a backlash. Thumbing is for distance control. As great a fisherman as you might think you are, your arm muscles will never have as fine control as your fingers and thumb.

So assuming you are going to be using some thumb pressure, the trick is to set the spool up just slightly looser than the setting at which no thumbing would cause a backlash. That will give you the maximum "range" of thumb pressure choice.
Old 09-15-10, 07:42 AM   #8
keithdog

Learn to thumb. It controls the cast and allows quick stopage of an errant cast. Also, it you plan to do any pitchin, thumbing is nessassary. Also, only by proper thumbing can your lure make a nice quiet gentle landing into the water.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 08:20 AM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Its like anything else you train for Mike, you do it enough, it becomes a second nature. I keep my reels pretty loose. When I release for a throw, the line just does tickle my thumb. By listening and feel, I can tell when I am fixing to was a humdinger on the spool. Does it work every time? Nope. But most of the time, I have my thumb right there to brake and do a retry without picking a bird for 10 minutes. But I get a ton of distance when I need it, and less effort on the short cast that helps with easy landings.
Old 09-15-10, 09:23 AM   #10
gonefishin3
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Thumbing is not just to prevent a backlash. Thumbing is for distance control. As great a fisherman as you might think you are, your arm muscles will never have as fine control as your fingers and thumb.

So assuming you are going to be using some thumb pressure, the trick is to set the spool up just slightly looser than the setting at which no thumbing would cause a backlash. That will give you the maximum "range" of thumb pressure choice.

bam!!! thats a perfect explination.
gonefishin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 10:56 AM   #11
Ebbetsguy

What Bryce said,that's just thumbin else!
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 01:33 PM   #12
islandbass

A properly set reel does not need a thumb until right before the lure hits the ground for max casts, at least I know this with shimano reels.

However, we don't always make max casts and so yes the thumb is needed to govern the distance you want your lure to fly.

As usual, Bryce's advice is what I use too. Well said!
Old 09-15-10, 03:15 PM   #13
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikekw3 View Post
If all your adjustments are set properly according to your lure, do you really need to thumb the spool? I no if you casting arround structure or whatever you would thumb it to get the lure to slow down to get it to land where you want. But lets say that you on the water with no wind and u just cast out as far as you can, should you really need to thumb the spool to prevent a backlash?
In theory, a well set reel doesnīt need thumbing, in the practice it does, you donīt go around setting and resetting the reel every time you cast because 90% of the time the variables like wind speed and direction change from one moment to another, thumbing is the way to maintain the control of the line, by thumbing I donīt mean that you continously press the line with your thumb as the spool rotates, you only maintain your thumb a few tenths of an inch above the spool just in case you need to press against the spool.

BTW, see them digital cast control reels that in theory are unbacklashable ? heck, I can backlash them purty good, actually I havenīt found a reel I canīt backlash.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 11:02 PM   #14
bamabassman

now here is where i doffer form most other folks. well...........mostly. i have my bait caster tuned to where i rarely use my thumb to stop my bait. i still have my thumb on the spool, but rarely use it. especially if i am in open water. i tend to stop before i need to. maybe this is why i catch dinks, lol. but i DO use it when i am casting near structure or towards the bank, dock, or whatever. i gues that is structure huh.DUH! oh well ya'll know what i mean. lol
Old 09-16-10, 09:13 AM   #15
walkeraviator

IM with bama... my reels are ste up so that as long as i am not casting at something and need to stop teh bait short... i dont need to thumb it. Yesterday at the Lake i was throwing cranks parallel to the shore... and never had to thumb it excpet to dodge teh occasional overhanging tree... as a matter of fact sometimes ill have the rod already moved to my left hand so i can begin reeling right away when throwing buzzbaits..
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 01:27 PM   #16
dave0943

The only time I've used a BC without the thumb was to prove a point to a friend. I was using the BP PQ reel with dual brake. You can really cast that bugger without the thumb if it's set right. That said, I don't plan on doing it again. I use the thumb to make as error free cast as possible, land my lure where I want it to land, best control over my baits as possible. The first thing I had my four sons practise, before using a bc on the water, was to use the thumb. Yes there are reels that you can get away without the thumb, once or twice, and then comes the wind.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-10, 05:51 PM   #17
bamabassman

dave....thank you for being more precise in your response. this is what i mean by kepping my thumb on the spool. but not using it. and walker, i too have my retrieve ready as soon as it hits the water, especially buzzbaits or spinners or rattle traps.
Old 09-17-10, 01:45 AM   #18
Rebbasser

The problem is it will always be different when casting in the front yard as opposed to on the water. The weight of the lure will be different, the wind different, etc. I have mine set where I really don't need my thumb, but still use it. A tip I learned a long time ago is to not put your thumb on the center of the spool but on the edge. Gives you a little better control on the cast.
Old 09-20-10, 12:10 PM   #19
Old Hooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
If you're reel is set properly, you should need some thumb pressure.

However, you can set the reel (as Tav said) so no pressure at all is needed. But you won't be able to cast as far.

I always leave my reels set so if I don't thumb, I'll get a little overrun. I've found this to give me the best casting distance.

Also, I wouldn't suggest not thumbing because then you get in the habit of not doing it. Then, when you go to cast with your reel properly set and forget to thumb, you get a backlash.

BB
I agree. Having it set so tight you need no thumb pressure is going to kill your distance. A well educated thumb makes the unexpected wind gust a non issue, and makes a quiet landing easy to do. I learned to thumb a long time ago and never looked back.
Old 09-24-10, 02:15 PM   #20
Garry2rs

I have the spool brake turned off.

I don't use my thumb while the bait is in the air, unless there is an emergency...Tree limb etc.

On a long cast, under ideal conditions the bait will drop on the water as the spool stops turning.

This has nothing to do with brakes, it is the cast running out of momentum.

When I set a reel up for a novice, I "over-tighten" both controls so that they don't have to thumb the reel. Obviously this takes distance off the cast, but it saves frustration when they forget to stop the spool manually.

I don't know if this answers your question.
Garry
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.