Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-12, 09:16 AM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Headed to the DoI...........

Yep, it's been more than a month so this afternoon, after church then brunch I'm off to the Den of Iniquity - anyone need anything? It's raining and a bit chilly, but I "need" a few things, don't know why it can't wait until spring, but I have a gift card (yeah Joe, this one was free! ) burning a hole in my wallet. Speaking of cards - 'Bama, when are you sending my BPS card back? They don't like it at the DoI when I pay with my Cabela's card.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-12, 09:25 AM   #2
nobass

Talking

if you see anything you think i would like go ahead get and send it to me, checks in the mail
Old 10-07-12, 01:23 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i'll trade you the card for your savings account AND your retirement account.
Old 10-07-12, 02:26 PM   #4
WTL

When I saw the thread title, I thought you meant department of interior.
Old 10-07-12, 02:43 PM   #5
Jrob78

Find anything good Bruce?
Old 10-08-12, 07:34 PM   #6
bassboogieman

Sorry guys I forgot to report.

FIRST, let me say I was a bit disappointed that one of the lures I specifically wanted was not to be had in the store. Not a L/C G-splash popper to be had, and the BPS price on the X-calibur popper was a dollar more than anywhere else. So I passed by them.

I did go for a couple of things I wanted for the kayak, like a small 3600 soft tackle bag. I found one, it was just a bit bigger than I wanted but what the heck - I'll fill it up. I also wanted a small gaff, for snakeheads - they don't like opening their mouth at the boat to get them with a lip gripper, and they are to be killed anyway, so I got a short handled gaff, they won't like gettin' stuck with it - too bad. I also got a pair of 11" needle nose pliers, Doc had a pair with him last week that I used and I like them for removing hooks. Too late and after the fact I bought 6 rod floats, after last week it may prove a good investment.

Back to BPS, opps sorry DoI, and their lure selection (in store), no lie - IT SUCKS. It's no longer a surprise that the store branded lures, far outnumber the "brand names". I am beginning to suspect (really it's basic marketing) that the reason for that IS INTENTIONAL. Forces frustrated guys like me to look at their brand because you can't find much in a preferred brand (in store, catalog/on-line different story).

So I fell in the trap - yeah I bough a couple of their "pro model" poppers (they basically resemble a Pop-R and similiar shaped lures) and for $6.50 they appeared decent, color was good, hooks look good, including the feathered treble - I can't say that about their "regular" popper. I purchased a couple of those too, and they were a couple bucks cheaper, but the quality of the hooks was no where near the "pro model". I thought those hooks were undersized (3" lure with #6) and of thin wire and not really sharp. Not a biggie, like a lot of lures changing out hooks sometimes is a necessity. I replaced with #4 Owner's in front & #4 Owner feathered treble on the rear. The hooks look much better suited to the lure than the originals.

A Frabil spinnerbait box (3600 size), the small one for the kayak. I bought the large (3700 size) for the boat a couple weeks ago. I like it, keeps the box sizes similiar so the pack in the compartment easier. Didn't really like the "normal" spinnerbait boxes and I tried hanging them on the rod locker lid a couple years but the kept falling out of the hanging system.

I also bought one of the BPS rod socks (the new, chineese finger cuff style) just to compare. I have several of a couple other brands that I use, but the BPS brand was too small in diameter - stated for 6'6" spinning rods and I really had to stretch it to get it over the first guide (from handle). It definitely falls short of the others I have, and it cost just a little bit more. Won't buy any more.

Finally, I picked up a couple Koppers Live Target mice. They look so dang good, I think the cats will like them................. Wait, forget I said that. I have a couple of the frogs - they're nice - and the mice should temp a snakehead (I hear a lot of guys that check stomach contents - YUK - find mice commonly in snakeheads).

That's it.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-09-12 at 07:19 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 08:45 PM   #7
bamabassman

not bad bruce. yeah, seems like most of all the stores are gering towards 'their' brand. let us know if the QUALITY and action is as good as the REAL brand name.
Old 10-08-12, 10:33 PM   #8
Jrob78

The DoI has gotten really bad about stocking more of their stuff than anyone else's. Their tour grade baits still cost $6 or $7 each, not usually a huge savings. My store does have a lot of LC baits but their only topwaters are Sammy's and Kelly J's. They never have the Gunfish or G-Splash. Oh well, hopefully the stuff you got today will hold you over for awhile.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.