Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-10, 04:45 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Wish me luck!

I've got a friend at school that's the same age as me, and he said he got a job at gander (hunting department), and there's one more job opening in the fishing department! Gonna do the job application online and send it in from there to night. Gonna set my hour to start after the 4th (if they accept it), after my birthday. Hopefully I'll get a job and have something else to do on the weekends if I can't fish! If I get it I can finally have some money to save toward ward a truck (once I get my license in a year or two), and some for new tackle and eventually a little boat!

So you guys got any tips or anything for filling out the application and if they call me in for an interview, got any tips for that!

Thanks guys, wish me luck!
Old 01-21-10, 04:51 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I know we are always razzing you, but poor spelling and grammar will shoot you out of a position. If you are under 16, I think your buddy is leashing you.
Old 01-21-10, 04:54 PM   #3
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I know we are always razzing you, but poor spelling and grammar will shoot you out of a position. If you are under 16, I think your buddy is leashing you.
Ya, the spelling and grammar thing will be kinda bad, but I normally don't write like that, other than online.

And I'll be 16 by the 4th.
Old 01-21-10, 05:03 PM   #4
WaffleJaw

Do not do the application on-line...Go up there (nicely dressed and well groomed) fill out the application during slow hours (When the managers will most likely have time to talk to you) and ask to speak to the manager of that department...Show them your personally and express your interest in working there in person....Ive I have never recieved a reply from an on-line application ...You want to job,right?..Go and claim it in person!!..Thats how management notices you.

Good luck and give me discounts!
Old 01-21-10, 05:05 PM   #5
bassinbob

Good luck It will be a great place to work. I went to them for a job (part time) but my other work conflicted with what they wanted.
Old 01-21-10, 05:08 PM   #6
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Good luck then bro. When I fill out a document, I like to open a blank word doc so I can copy and paste to help with any grammar or misspelled words.
Old 01-21-10, 06:33 PM   #7
rrw4258

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Do not do the application on-line...Go up there (nicely dressed and well groomed) fill out the application during slow hours (When the managers will most likely have time to talk to you) and ask to speak to the manager of that department...Show them your personally and express your interest in working there in person....Ive I have never recieved a reply from an on-line application ...You want to job,right?..Go and claim it in person!!..Thats how management notices you.

Waffle, I just applied at Dick's Sporting Goods and went I went to customer service to ask for an application, they told me to do everything online... an application in store was not even available. I thought they should at least have an application in the store. Maybe that was all that was available to bassboss

Ryan
Old 01-21-10, 06:37 PM   #8
JB

Where I work it too is all online, you go to the lobby and theres a row of pc's for ppl to fill out an application. After that if you get a call back you start a series of interviews with personnel and then managers.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 08:31 PM   #9
1/4 stick

Quote:

WaffleJaw is right. As far as Retail jobs go it's best to talk to the manager in person. Even if they tell you to fill out the application online, or already have, the manager then will have your face and your personanlity in his or her head. Dress nice and let him know you fish so you have knowledge of the products you'll be selling or stocking. That goes a long way.

If you really would like to work there, and they don't seem too eager to hire you because you won't be able to start right away, and they don't hire you. Don't let it get you down. Keep going back every week or two, dressed nicely, asking about a job. Don't become annoying but be persistant. If they offer you a job in something other than the fishing take it as long as you can work it around your school schedule. At least you'll have your foot in the door, you can show them you're a good employee, and you can let them know you'd like them to try you in the fishing dept when a possition is open. Maybe talk to the dept. head of the fishing dept. (again, don't pester him) when you can and let him know you're interested in working for him or her.

I'll guarantee if he knows you want to come to his dept. he'll be watching you and listening or asking about how you work. And he'll have you in mind when he has an opening.

Good luck man!
Old 01-21-10, 08:47 PM   #10
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:

Exactly what I was thinkin! Good luck boss!
Old 01-21-10, 10:10 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Good luck!

Oh and by the way, it's not something to do on the weekends when you can't fish. You fish on the weekend when you don't work.

BB

P.S. I'd also get the resume in person if it is available. It's more work than applying online, but will give you a better chance of getting the job.
Old 01-22-10, 09:14 AM   #12
Bassboss

Thanks guys! Waffle, and stick. I'll defiantly try to go in person if time allows.

btw, I had to take a class on going to a job interview, I hope that helps some!

p.s., would you consider blue jeans, and a BPS T-**** dressed nicely!
Old 01-22-10, 10:17 AM   #13
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post

lol, no. (oh,and by the way, that's shirt, with an R. )

BB
Old 01-22-10, 11:00 AM   #14
Captmikestarrett

Do not do it man.... work will always get in the way of fishing... I started working at age 13 and never stopped..

Now I can not stop working.. in fact when I retire I may go totally mad..

Capt Mike
Old 01-22-10, 11:01 AM   #15
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post

BB
HAHAHA! Maybe you should do that online app. with spellcheck,lol...j/k
I think blue-jeans are ok as long as they fitted properly and clean/pressed...I highly encourage a collered shirt..I only keep collered shirts around for job interviews and the rare occassion I go play golf

Now according to Ryan they may require an on-line only application.If so,go in a few day later after you submit it,ask for the manager,shake his hand and introduce yourself,eye contact is very important!! Explain that you did an online app and wanted to check the status to see if they still needed anyone.Just talk to the guy and like Stick said,express your interest in the area you want to work.Very few people would do that,they expect the company to call them.Also like Stick said,if they have a different department availble,why not take it?..You still get the store discount and can sub in for fishing on days ,or take it over later.

Ryan did you ever get a reply back from Dick's??

Again,when you meet the manager,dont break that eye contact,have confidence in yourself and remember that managers are just human beings...That last piece of advice works great on police officers too!
Old 01-22-10, 11:54 AM   #16
rrw4258

I have not heard anything back from Dick's... although it was just sent in a couple days ago, so i will go to the store to check on the status of it.

Ryan
Old 01-22-10, 01:33 PM   #17
1/4 stick

Quote:
Thanks guys! Waffle, and stick. I'll defiantly try to go in person if time allows.

Certainly don't go in there with a T-****!!!! lol

A shirt with a collar would be best, but nice clean jeans would be cool.
Old 01-22-10, 01:40 PM   #18
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

And don't wear a shade
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 05:10 PM   #19
bassinbob

If it falls through don't be disappointed. Get to know the manager of ther fishing dept. I did and now she talks to me every time I see her. It could help you in the future if the position opens again.
Old 01-22-10, 06:00 PM   #20
BigBassin144

Oh, and if you wear a t-shirt (which you shouldn't) don't make it a BPS one! at least get one from Gander!

But a Polo shirt, or even better, a botton up dress shirt would be best.

BB
Old 01-22-10, 07:10 PM   #21
1/4 stick

Quote:
Oh, and if you wear a t-shirt (which you shouldn't) don't make it a BPS one! at least get one from Gander!

But a Polo shirt, or even better, a botton up dress shirt would be best.

BB
Good catch... That one flew right over my head. lol
Old 01-22-10, 09:08 PM   #22
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

If I can give you any bit of advice it would be to call them after applying.

I turned in an application at a restaurant and they said "we will get back to you in one to two weeks". two weeks went by and they didn't call me. So i called them. I said "hey i applied here and I was wondering if you took a lot at my application, and maybe if i can come in for an interview?", they said "oh yea, come on it".

It shows to them that you dont give up easily and that your motivated. It also shows good initiative, which is a great quality in the workplace.

Hey, if you turn in an application and they dont contact you... call them. be nice and professional.... honestly, whats the worst that could happen? they say no? it's always worth a shot

Edit: I got the job at the restaurant
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 11:08 AM   #23
Bassboss

Thanks again for the tips guys! I see if I have any nice shirts laying around here that don't have some some BPS branding! Come to think of it... I've got a nice maroon polo I could were.....

Quote:

BB
Oh.... gawd I feel stoopid!

Last edited by Bassboss; 01-23-10 at 11:13 AM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 11:26 AM   #24
bamabassman

You know....i just don't understand the reason for the "online" applications. I mean, wth? Having been in the employment business (with my father many yrs ago), i have ALWAYS found it better to SEE and MEET a person FACE to FACE while interviewing for a job. This is just a way, in my opion, of trying to make each and every one who is trying to get a job just a number.
Old 01-23-10, 04:58 PM   #25
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:

Haha! I once went to a job interview wearing a hat that said "Wanted! Someone to share my joint with".
Obviously, I really didn't want the job!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.