Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-10, 08:54 AM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Hangin' it up..

Unfortunately with the downturn in the economy I have been forced to sell a large portion of my fishing gear and have recently sold my boat to someone who fishes in a local club (atleast I know it's going to a good home) As many of you know I fish a lot 3-5x a week and fish in numerous tournaments, I also have my own business that I have run for about 8 years now. However the economy just plain sucks right now and our numbers are lower now than they were in '03. I have had to cut half my staff and am now looking at a possible chapter 11 to restructure...something that I never saw coming.. I am not a wealthy person and I think that a lot of people have the wrong impression of small business owners. If you actually figured in my hours of work I would make less than minimum wage and I take all the risk. So for now fishing is taking a major back seat until I figure out what my next step is going to be to take care of my family. I know you all can relate to how bad it sucks to have to put your favorite past time on hold, but family comes first and my priority is a roof over our heads and food on the table. I am not looking for any pity, I would take a prayer or two tho..hahaha..I got myself into this position and I will keep working to get myself into a better spot so maybe I can get back on the water again

Last edited by jasonfish320; 09-28-10 at 08:59 AM.
jasonfish320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 09:14 AM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Sorry to hear about this Jason. Just about everyone is getting beat up these days. Hopefully things will pick back up though. A good man will always act like you have though IMO. Some people will take a passion or a hobby and ride it 6' under along with everything that has significant meaning like family, friends, and livelihood. But sometimes you have to stop, reset, and organize priorities like it sounds like you are doing. I will be praying for you, along with everyone else wrapped in these tough times.
Old 09-28-10, 09:14 AM   #3
Crank-Bait-Frank
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I feel your pain, I havn't worked in 7 months. I am not a small business owner, but do have alot of friends that are.
Hang in there, things will get better!
Old 09-28-10, 11:14 AM   #4
Abbeysdad

Sorry for your trouble - it's been a tough couple of years. The company I work for is...er was pretty large and has downsized by about half, putting over 2000 folks out of work.
I just recently crawled out from under my desk and turned the light back on.... but flying under the radar. Sorry you have to give up the boat and cut back on the fishing....but your right.... when push comes to shove, life dictates priorities.
Good luck and hopefully things will turn around.
I don't know what your business is, but maybe now's a time to figure a new wrinkle to get more business, branch out (diversify) in some way or take some other action moving forward.
Best wishes.
Old 09-28-10, 11:34 AM   #5
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey Jason, I had to do the same, much for the same reason. When one door closes another opens, I did it to help my girlfriend hold onto her house, somethings are just more important some times, Just please stay positive, keep looking forward, so you can see the ray of light, when that door cracks open

Last edited by Ebbetsguy; 09-28-10 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling: WHAT ELSE?
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 01:20 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Jason I really hate to hear this. I am sending up some prayers for you and your family. As hard as it is, it sounds like you are doing the right thing and cudos to you for that. I hope you will hang around the site still because I always enjoy your input and contributions to the site.
Old 09-28-10, 03:56 PM   #7
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Jason I really hate to hear this. I am sending up some prayers for you and your family. As hard as it is, it sounds like you are doing the right thing and cudos to you for that. I hope you will hang around the site still because I always enjoy your input and contributions to the site.
I agree with Kory. We are praying for you and yours.
Old 09-28-10, 06:51 PM   #8
woody

Sending prayers and a respectful nod.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 07:55 PM   #9
CMorg

Yeah , I agree you did the right thing by selling off your stuff. Family first , shows you have your prioritys right. Wish ya well.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-10, 10:42 PM   #10
bamabassman

i too agree wtih everyones thoughts and posts. this is one of the roughest times our country has faced. things will get better one day though my friend. and please, do hang around. you matter to us alot. your thoughts and insight are very much admired.

like it has already been said buddy...CHIN UP AND CHEST OUT. hold your head high and brave through this storm. there is light at the end my friend.
Old 09-29-10, 09:18 PM   #11
flfireman

Not gonna repeat all the above well wishes. Keep God close and he will help you pull out of this. Will add you in my prayers.
Old 09-30-10, 07:18 AM   #12
keithdog

Well, there isnt much I can add thats not already been said, other than I also will be praying for you and as Bama said, please stay in touch with us.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 07:23 AM   #13
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

As a fellow business owner I can truly relate. Hang in there! Hopefully things will turn soon.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-10, 06:36 PM   #14
Bender

I can relate too, my business went into a black hole in late 2008 through early 2010. Luckily this year it is coming back around but I've cut everything so low I'm busy but just making enough to get by. I certainly hope the same happens in your field and you see a turnaround.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.