Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-09, 12:44 AM   #1
wareagledc
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default spinnerbait king

so i hear zooker is the crank king, who is the spinner bait king on here? i need advice on what to look for in a rod.
wareagledc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 12:47 AM   #2
BASSFISHINCHRIS20
BassFishin.Com Member

medium action and flouro line 12 or 14# test is about all i can tell you
Old 08-02-09, 12:50 AM   #3
wareagledc

i though flouro was not good for spinners cause it sinks?
Old 08-02-09, 12:58 AM   #4
Bgolladay
BassFishin.Com Member

Kevins post of line choices for certain baits says that 17, 20, and 25 pound mono are the best spinnerbait lines...http://bassfishin.com/articles/fishing-line-guide/
Bgolladay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 01:00 AM   #5
wareagledc

i plan on using 12 lb sufix elite.
Old 08-02-09, 01:49 AM   #6
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagledc View Post
so i hear zooker is the crank king, who is the spinner bait king on here? i need advice on what to look for in a rod.
That would also be Zooker.

Tom is the king of worms.

Bama is the king of backlashes.

Kevin is the king of B&E.

And I am the unquestioned greatest drop shot and swimbait fisherman alive.
Old 08-02-09, 05:40 AM   #7
Stew

Spinnerbaits are my confidence bait (see hawg on left for an example).

Some main things with me is that the rod have an 11 inch rear rod handle, be medium-heavy action and 7 foot long.

But it's easiest is if you just go with a rod specifically designed for spinnerbaits, because it's pretty much hard to go wrong. I currently use this, the technique-specific spinnerbait rod, and it's nice indeed. The main difference is that it has a little faster tip than the general purpose model.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 09:14 AM   #8
Kevin
Administrator

I would definitely recommend a 6.5 to 7' MH rod for spinnerbaits. I favor 7' myself since I'm about 6'1"... so try to match it to your height.

As far as line goes... it's actually a pretty tough call these days. Personally, I'll throw spinnerbaits on monofilament starting at 17lb test and move up from there. Mono is very bouyant and thus can allow you to keep the spinnerbait closer to the surface through the entire retrieve easier.

But you can also fish fluorocarbon. I was out on the water with Skeet Reese and had this very discussion about fluorocarbon and various presentations. He explained to me that he rarely uses mono for anything anymore and prefers to fish spinnerbaits on fluorocarbon and just use a "high rod" to keep the bait near the surface. He even went as far to say he'll avoid using mono for topwaters and opt for braid instead in conjunction with a glass rod (something I've switched to for the most part as well).

Now Kevin VanDam has been a big proponent of mono for spinnerbaits and still fishes monofilament for spinnerbaits, specifically for its bouyancy. So you have the two best anglers in the planet with two differeing opinions. What does this mean for you? It means you can go either way, just as long as you know the pro's and con's of each and compensate for those differences.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 09:44 AM   #9
bamabassman

thanks wtl. good to know i am the king of something, hahahaha. how about the king of not catching, but have a queen that is.hahahaha.
derrick, i agree with kevin on this one. i posted a question on what rod and reel to use for each setup a while back. got alot of great info.
Old 08-02-09, 09:50 AM   #10
keithdog

Spinnerbaits have been my go to lure for as long as I can remember. For me, they will catch fish when nothing else will. As for rods, I am 5'6" tall and have always used a 6 1/2 foot MH rod. A 7 foot rod is a great choice as well, and I now prefer that rod with a heavier large bladed spinnerbait. In my opinion, 17 pound mono or a copolymer line is a great all around choice for spinnerbaits. It's easy to cast with, holds up well, and strong enough for about all situations. I personally have not seen much difference in how high a spinnerbait rides in the water on retrieve between mono and flouro. Flourocarbon is however a stronger more abrasive resistance line which definately is important when you consider where spinnerbaits are often thrown. However, it is also very expensive line and stiffer making it harder to throw without some backlash issues. Last spring I was pitching a jig in heavy cover on braided line and decided on a lark to clip off the jig and tie on a 3/8 oz spinnerbait. I was very impressed with the feel I got from fishing a spinnerbait on braid. You can really feel that blade thumpin. And the braid handles heavy vegitation better than any other line. So now I often have 2 rods rigged with spinnerbaits at all times. One rod will have 17 pound copolymer or mono for most situations, and one with 40 pound braid for fishing in lillypads and other heavy vegitation.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 11:27 AM   #11
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

As many other said either a 6'6" mh or 7'mh rod is they way to go , line wise i have been using p-line fluoroclear in 20lb for all my spinners or 15lb mono .

Jim
Old 08-02-09, 11:44 AM   #12
zooker

i've been known to sling a blade alot...

i fish alot of crap with a blade so i op for a 7 foot heavy action rod.. a smooth 6.3 or 7.1 reel is a must have.. line is always heavy 20 pound ande mono..

you don't need distance or depth with a blade speed and blade color is the most important aspect...the ability to soft drop a blade or cartwheel one is even higher up on my list than distance...

zooker
Old 08-02-09, 12:06 PM   #13
wareagledc

thanks for the info guys. now xfast, fast, ,or moderate fast action?
Old 08-02-09, 12:20 PM   #14
Bassboss

NO!! Don't use 12lb mono!! Or any kind of flouro! Get a 6' - 6'6" rod with a mh fast tip, works very well for spinnerbaits, you can get a little bit slower action if you're not fishing ion very think stuff. I would but at least 17lb sufix mono on. I like 20lb better though. You can also try 17lb yo zuri hybrid line, I hear it's stronger than advertived, and still the same diamiter as advertised for the lb test. Get a reel with a 6.2:1 or high gear ratio.
Old 08-02-09, 12:54 PM   #15
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
thanks for the info guys. now xfast, fast, ,or moderate fast action?
Every manufacturer has their own thoughts on what "xfast" or "fast" is.. and they vary substantially. However, as a general rule, for 90%+ of all applications, you'll want at least a "fast" tip.. and many will always go for "xfast". A wiggle of the rod tip or pressing the blank against the floor is your safest bet for knowing what will perform best for you.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 09:24 PM   #16
wareagledc

alright thanks guys. the search continues until i either find one that just plain feels right or i save enought for the kistler spinnerbait rod i looked at while at gander mt. really thinking of getting a lightning rod shock to try out. i know its ment for braid and it gives a little to compensate for that but should do fine for spinners. if not i will use it for one of the many many other lures i have that is braid worthy.
Old 08-02-09, 09:48 PM   #17
Bassboss

Quote:
alright thanks guys. the search continues until i either find one that just plain feels right or i save enought for the kistler spinnerbait rod i looked at while at gander mt. really thinking of getting a lightning rod shock to try out. i know its ment for braid and it gives a little to compensate for that but should do fine for spinners. if not i will use it for one of the many many other lures i have that is braid worthy.
Ya, that actually seems like it would be a nice spinnerbait rod from what I've felt of 'em!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.