Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-08, 10:47 AM   #1
Mac10
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Jigs

I know there are a variety of jigs available: swim jigs, slow fall, pitching, finesse and the most often silicone legged jigs, bucktail, hair, etc. etc. but what I'm wondering is whether or not there are times when jigs don't work? If so, what sort of conditions would other lures work better? Thanks, and Good Fishing, Mac
Mac10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 10:58 AM   #2
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Yes, there are many. If you're just casting your jig into open water without knowing what's underneath or where the majority of quality bass are, a jig probably isn't your best bet. You'll want to be using a lure that can find fish quickly, such as something with the nature of a spinnerbait or crankbait. If on your first ten casts, your jig keeps getting bit right when it hits the water, that could be a classic sign telling you to speed up your presentation, so that you can show a bait to as many aggressive fish as you possibly can.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 12:03 PM   #3
Cranebird
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Mac, Jigs don't work when the fish aren't biting.I go seek the juvenile bank runners to catch fish for they seem to be active all of the time. Then try every hour to see if something has changed.While I see it hasn't I try rattle traps and crankbaits trying to get a reaction bite.Its a long day of boring fishing when they won't commit to a jig thats why I fish traps and cranks it keeps me busy until I can figure out how to catch them.A weightless 5" Yamamoto cuttail worm has been my favorite go to bait when all else fails with the hard baits.I also like a centepede carolina rigged or a Zoom meathead dropshot rig.Even then minutes seem like hours.
Old 03-26-08, 12:36 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

No lure works all the time. As for jigs, I use them in spring and fall a lot. I've used them in summer, but I'd rather throw a crankbait or topwater in summer.

BB
Old 03-26-08, 01:52 PM   #5
Raul

The only time Iīve ever seen that jigs donīt work is when there arenīt any bass in the lake.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-08, 02:31 PM   #6
carolina-rig-01

i personally think that jigs will catch fish anytime. but i think there are times when other baits may get you bit more than a jig will.
Old 03-26-08, 03:20 PM   #7
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac10 View Post
If so, what sort of conditions would other lures work better? Thanks, and Good Fishing, Mac
Topwater and horizontal suspending presentations come to mind. Both happen when the fish are feeding up and not down.
Old 03-26-08, 05:31 PM   #8
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Raul Said "
The only time Iīve ever seen that jigs donīt work is when there arenīt any bass in the lake."
You are exactly correct Raul. They work year round, In any color water, at any depth.
Carolina Rig said
"i personally think that jigs will catch fish anytime. but i think there are times when other baits may get you bit more than a jig will."

You are also correct. If nothing else you can use a jig to flip or power jig and get a reaction bite. Jigs also catch bigger fish as a whole. You may catch more on another lure at times but the consistancy is with the jig.One problem is many anglers fish jigs like they are plastic worms. They are not plastic worms at all.. At times they will catch fish when dragged across the bottom but the jig is more of an object bait that will work great when presented to an exact object of structure or cove. In other words next to that stump or in that brush pile. By that dock piling or on this drop or that rock outcroping.It is my go to bait once I locate fish.

Fish2win
Old 03-31-08, 05:49 AM   #9
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I don't think anyone could have put it so well, Fish2win. You should consider writing for a bassing magazine. No kidding.
Old 03-31-08, 09:05 AM   #10
JB

i think he already does write...
I've seen over the years plenty of tourney anglers that pair up, one only throws the jig all day, the other only throws small worms.
Some time when you work over an area with a jig and no bites, try going back with a ribbon tail or paddle tail worm, see if they react to the movement of the tail or faster presentation. Same deal in reverse too, worm it n then jig it.
I've seen plent of times when a senko bite is great, then after awhile, nothing at all. I put on a culprit worm ribbon tailed and seem to pick up fish .
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-08, 07:17 PM   #11
fishwrench
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to fishwrench Send a message via Yahoo to fishwrench

All jigs; all the time. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have a jig. That's not to say that I'm throwing the same jig all year long. In the spring I'll downsize a bit, opting for a 1/4oz or 5/16, and work my up to 3/8oz or 1/2 as the year progresses. I even change the trailer size I use.

In the early part of the year, I'll tip my jig with a 2 3/4" Yum Chunk. By mid-summer, I'm upgrading to a 3 1/4" Chunk.

Drag, bounce it, swim it, or pop it. Listen to the fish, and they'll tell you what presentation they want.

One last tip, because I tend to babble - when you're not sure what color to use, defauly to black/blue. And make sure your trailer matches the jig color. As your jigging game progresses, try experimenting with different color combos.

There, I think I've rambled enough now. Love the jig; be the jig.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.