Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-09, 05:33 PM   #1
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 1974 ranger project

Firgured I would start a thread and post pics of my progress as I go.

1974 ranger
1979 70hp evinrude
bought for 550 on trailer

A few weeks ago I bought this boat. First thing was to get the motor running and then see if it floats. Their is some rapair work that has already been done to the front underside so i was a little nervous. After two days trying to get it running i took it out. Cranked right up when i got there but then motor died in the middle of the lake. Found out the winch on the trailer didnt work.

Today I started really working on it. Turnes out i really needed a better battery to get this motor running. Picked up an interstate 1000mca. Started on the first try. Also cut out the front post to give my self so more standing room on the front. I also began the long process of removing the old glue from the previuos carpet. This is going to be a bigger project than I thought. Also cut off the hand winch on the trailer and installed a new one along with new trailer lights.

I do not plan on restoring, just fixing it up a bit. My plan is to install new carpet. I plan to fill the million holes on the top rails and use a spray bedliner for that area. I have no idea how to make the front underside look better. The repair job is pretty freaking ugly.

Anyway. Here are the first pics.

motorhead0320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 05:48 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

ok, after looking at your pics i have changed my mind pal. take off them lids and get yourself some aluminum like zooker said. heck after you take off the lids you can make the front deck larger too. you have your work cut out for ya on this rig no doubt. but i can see a better "working" platform for ya. bring the front deck all the way to the steering console. that'll give ya a lot more room up there. and please take out the dang deck boards and put either glass or aluminum in it's place. it'll save you some weight problems there pal. make that rude run a little better too.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 06:30 PM   #3
zooker

with any boat made in the 70's they are pop rivet nuts..

during a recent classic boat show. i was running neck and neck with a fully restored 72 ranger i have a 71 terry. i won best in class cause mine started up and ran and his did not this is the ONLY reason i won..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 01-31-09 at 06:38 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 06:51 PM   #4
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

i am almost scared to take the deck boards out. no telling whats under there. I wish he had never put them in. The look like they are going to be a pain to remove. All in all, i think i can get this thing done in about 4 full weekends of work. Maybe i can use those deck boards to build a fram to extend the deck to the console. Or should i build it out of some other material?
Old 01-31-09, 07:00 PM   #5
bamabassman

ALUMINUM!!!! stronger and less weight. listen to zooker on this,ok? and REPLACE THE FLOOR. taking out the deck boards will save you unnessary weight too and aluminum is stronger there too.
Old 01-31-09, 11:02 PM   #6
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

what thickness of aluminum would you suggest? I looked up some pices tonigt of a 4x4 sheet of 3/16 and it was $400. i dont like that number at all. I would need at least 2 sheets. After i pull that wood out tomm. i will have a better idea of what needs to be done. Hope he didnt strip all the screws.
Old 02-01-09, 09:36 AM   #7
zooker

never said it was going to be cheap..

zooker
Old 02-01-09, 10:13 AM   #8
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

i defiinetly dont plan on anything that has to do with owning a boat being cheap. Just tryng to minimize it. I really dont want to drop too much cash on this old boat.
Old 02-02-09, 10:27 PM   #9
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

nice project...

i know where a ranger of that similar era is..its a bass boat though...

whats the length on that boat?
Old 02-02-09, 11:19 PM   #10
bamabassman

photog,, uummm that IS a bass boat. OLD ONE, but still a bass boat.
Old 02-03-09, 08:02 AM   #11
MrPhotographer06

i meant like a traditional bass boat with a wooden standing platform
Old 02-03-09, 09:45 AM   #12
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

its 16ft. i and i think its a bass boat. maybe not a nice shiny new one, but i plan to have some good times on it. its gonna take alot of work but i will get it there.
Old 02-03-09, 06:19 PM   #13
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhotographer06 View Post
i meant like a traditional bass boat with a wooden standing platform

scotty
that is the front standing platform where the seat post sticks up-it looks like a white constrution cone-remember they did not start havin the flippen deck till the early 90's i belive.. and belive it or not my 02 stratos is about that deep to the castin platform..

you could take 2 sheets of 3/4 " marine plywood and cut them to fit around the hatch covers..

zooker
Old 02-03-09, 08:33 PM   #14
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

i thought about cutting wood to go around the hatch covers but then that adding even more weight. I going to start repairing what was under the boards this weekend. Everyday i think of different ways i can do the platform, but i have plenty of other work to keep me busy while i decide.
Old 02-06-09, 04:16 PM   #15
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

found out what was under that wood floor today. Shouldnt be too bad to repair. Also cut out the seat posts. Going to start working on that floor this weekend

Old 02-06-09, 08:36 PM   #16
MrPhotographer06

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
scotty
that is the front standing platform where the seat post sticks up-it looks like a white constrution cone-remember they did not start havin the flippen deck till the early 90's i belive.. and belive it or not my 02 stratos is about that deep to the castin platform..

you could take 2 sheets of 3/4 " marine plywood and cut them to fit around the hatch covers..

zooker

hmm..the one that i saw like this must be custom then...

i'm gunna go by that dudes house soon
Old 02-07-09, 02:04 AM   #17
WTL

Thats a lot of work, but the boat will be cool when you are done. Dont see a lot of boats that style on the water anymore.

PS, where in FLA are ya? Cause that green cinderblock building in the background looks exactly like the cabin I stay in at camp lester near kissimmee.
Old 02-07-09, 08:34 AM   #18
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

located in Ocala. Its not my dream boat, but i got it cheap and will fix it the the best of my ability. I am sure one day i will own a shiny new on but the wife limits me to one "money pit" at a time. My real passion is jeeps. Bought my last jeep for 2500 and traded it in on my new rubiocn for 7000. Maybe I wil lbe able to flip this boat liek i did the jeep. Of course, not the same return but a little profit would be nice.
Old 02-07-09, 09:43 AM   #19
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I really like to see and read these restore threads..That is gonna be a neat boat when finished..Keep us posted on this project
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-09, 05:40 PM   #20
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

probably wont post pics a again for a while since there wont be any drastic change for a few weeks. BUt, i will keep posting the progress.

Today i finally finshed cutting out all the old screws that were helping to hold the old carpet down. Also got every last thing unbolted from the boat. Just need to finish getting all the old glue up. I cant believe how long it is taking. By the end of next weekend i think i will be done with the prep and ready to purchase carpet and topside paint. I had planned on buying cheap carpet from lowes but i now after all this work that would be a mistake. Its only $75 more in the long run. Still have to come up with an idea for getting those lids flush, so any ideas are welcome. I have decided against aluminum due to the cost. To be honest, if i could insure that i would get no leaks i would fill all the compartments with foam except one for dry stuff and fiberglass right over them.
Old 02-08-09, 09:14 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

That boat brings back memories. Thats one of the original style boats that ALL the pro's use to fish out of when Ray Sott started Bassmasters. Anyway DEFINATELY go with aluminum ..........lighter,stronger and will never have to be done again. You can ask the folks on here I do know what I am talking about since I repair boats. Anyways 3/16 plate will do just fine. Thats what I always use for deck extensions and floor repairs of that size. Unless you know alot about fiberglassing you will not only save yourself money but alot of headaches. Also if you do the math............figure the price of the aluminum plate and a stick of 1/2 x1/2 x1/8 angle for the bracing you will need you will only be putting out a little more money above buying good marine plywood. People have tried to make there own marine ply but they dont have the vacum process needed to nmake it correctly. Then you have the price of the resin...........which by the way a boat that old you have to use plyester resin so that it bonds correctly. You stated the price for the aluminum is around 400. Ok the price for the ply,the resin and the glass cloth that you will need will be around $40 less. To do the floor you would have to do both sides of the ply to seal the wood. On a 4x4 sheet you are talking about approximately 3 gallons of resin and of course the cloth and the as well the 4" roll of mating cloth for the seams. Get the picture. Then you add in the time involved waiting on the rersin to setup plus the cost of the wax ad the filler material.............So to make this short and sweet USE ALUMINUM.
Old 02-08-09, 09:44 AM   #22
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

i guess i can try some local places and see if i can get some scrap or something. I really dont know what direction i am going in now. Every day that goes by i think of some way to change my original plan. I am now thinking of moving the console back and builing a bench seat for the back of the boat. then extending the front deck back as far as possible. I just dont know. Every night i change my mind. Either way a little everyday and it wil be there eventually.
Old 02-08-09, 12:27 PM   #23
MrPhotographer06

fixing my boat is the same way.. every day that i worked on it going in the direction that me, my best friend and my grandpa wanted to...just to fix it temprarily..maybe a year or two of fishing and we'd be graduated.. and at least then we could come back on it one day and finish it..

but every day my dad would feed me with , no you should do it this way.. or no you shoulda done it that way.. go back and change it..

and thats the reason my boat has the new floor taken out, the console, top half and trim, motor and transom corner half fixed is because he wanted to do it the "right" way... and i agree it should have been done that way in the first place.. but he told me what he wanted to do and talked me into it after i had put a floor in it..

my advice: sketch a plan... get a ball park material list.. and stick to it..

my .02
Old 02-08-09, 12:36 PM   #24
MississippiBoy

I'm not going to add much, since I've never done anything like this. But I will say, if you decide to move the console and/or build the front deck bigger, you'll never regret having more deck space up front.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-09, 01:14 PM   #25
MrPhotographer06

i want to leave my console in the middle

then build a deck back to the livewell and make all of it flush.. then through some compartment doors on it.. then i'll be good

i was talkin to my buddy about it yesterday.. i think were gunna drag it out and try and fix what my dad did by ourselves.. then put it back togeaher... and just not listen to what he says

oh yeah.. mines the bottom boat btw

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.