Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-11, 07:18 AM   #1
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Meat or Seafood?

Anthony's question (TPBM) in the True/False "never ending thread" was interesting. So what is your favorite - NON VEGGIE - food? Seafood covers a wide selection so I used MEAT as an alternative, not just beef as did Anthony.

I like seafood, especially fish, as there are so many varieties you could eat it all week and not have the same thing, meat you could possible do the same.

I also like meat - cow, pig and fowl. NO lamb or goat (I don't eat much Mediteranean). Game is good too, elk, venison (really like that), never tried bear (probably too greasy). Antelope is ok (wait, I think that is from the goat family).

So what is your main ingridient to a decadant last meal?

Mine would have to be a prime, well aged, medium rare filet mignon. Succlent beef that just about melts in your mouth - I'm salivating at 07:15 in the morning just thinking about it. I don't know if everyone has had the opportunity to try a top prime steak, but it in no way compares to supermarket beef.

So the Neanderthal in me says RED MEAT, not over cooked. What say you?

I'm guessing 'bama is gonna say 'possum or something.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 09-11-11 at 10:25 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 09:01 AM   #2
nobass

got to go with new york strip. then a good pork tender loin. seadfood any shell fish. hell any seafoood fresh water catfish fried of coarse
Old 09-11-11, 09:20 AM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

oh brucie,brucie,brucie........i am a beef, pork, chicken, fish eater. i DO know what you are saying when you talk about STEAK. i love every cut of beef. ribeye when marbled jsut right and aged is EXTREMILY good. as is filet mignon. those 2 would be my favorite cuts.

i have also had possum, turtle soup,rattlesnake stew, buffalo, coon, duck, dove, quail,squirrel and goat too. never had mountain goat or mountain ram.

as for seafood, flounder, amberjack, red snapper, shrimp and dolphin (not flipper, the FISH dolphin), tried ling (HATED IT!, lobster is too strong too. had gator tail (it's ok), shark steak is alright. but i haven't had as much seafood as most folks. i ain't into much seafood. living on the gulf coast for 17 years DID have it's advantages, lol. had some if not the BEST seafood one could get. can't stand crab legs, or crab meat, UUUGGGGGHHHH, YUCK!! and oysters?!? PULEASE!! TASTE LIKE SNOT, HAHAHA!!feels like it too going down oyur gullet.

naawwwww, i am a meat and tater man. gimme a good ol steak offn da grill, SHEARED on the outside adn bloody in the middle. RARE is how i like mine cooked. pittsburg style if oyu want to call it that. add a baked tater with LOTS of butta, bacon bits and chives, add a loaf of bread with lots of buta on it too and i am in heaven. hahaha.

but if oyu haven't had some of the good ol possum (lil greesey), coon(lil stringy)or some good ol turtle soup oyu NEED to try it jsut so you can say you did. HAHAHAHA!!!! i had some poor folks for ancesters, i HAD to try it so i knew what they HAD to eat when they were growing up. no choice in the matter if oyu understand what i mean. it was really a joke at first, but it got serious after i kinda liked it. glad i grew up though. hahahaha!!!
Old 09-11-11, 10:07 AM   #4
MississippiBoy

If I HAD to pick just one, seafood or beef, I'd probably have to take beef. To me, you just can't beat a good medium rare ribeye or filet or porterhouse. Take some good aged beef, throw it on a SCREAMING hot grill, flip it after just a couple of minutes....seared on the outside, still pink in the middle, juices running out of it when you cut into it.....mmmmmmmmmm good.
But I do love seafood, too. I've had grouper, snapper, swordfish, shark, crab, lobster, clams, mussels, shrimp....just about everything. Haven't found anything yet that I don't like. It's always a tough decision for me at a lot of restaurants that have seafood and steak...I can hardly make up my mind.....
As far as other types of land mammals, I've had a bunch of those, too. Squirrel, gator, turtle, snake, buffalo, duck, dove, quail, goat, (probably dog and cat, too....I like Chinese buffets). I like them all, so far.
Old 09-11-11, 10:36 AM   #5
Tavery5

If it were me, I would have to go with pork, I would either want a big bunch of smoked baby backs, or some chopped pork made from a Boston butt. I guess if all else failed a big double decker bacon sandwich would work in a pinch also.
Old 09-11-11, 11:00 AM   #6
joedog

Porterhouse, get the filet plus the marbling pluse a bone in seems to add flavor too. I do like seafood though........oh hell, I'd eat just about anything! If you have never tried "Montreal Steak" seasoning give it a try... made by McCormick,GrillMates line of seasonings. bassboogieman, now you got me salivating too!
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 11:28 AM   #7
bassboogieman

OK try this - My steak preparation..............

I get prime, aged black angus filets from my butcher and they NEVER see the freezer, always buy fresh for the evening meal. I usually get them cut at 1.5" to 1.75" thick.

I have a cast iron griddle that I put in my outdoor gas grill set at high temperature and let it heat up for a few minutes while..........

I butter my steak, yep BUTTER.

Then I cover it well in cajun seasonings and it's ready to get BLACKENED on the grill after the griddle is good & hot. Be advised it makes a lot of smoke

About 4 - 5 minutes on a side (depending on thickness) and it's ready to plate.

Dang, I'm drooling on my shirt.

Occasionaly I'll use a little steak sauce, but it really doesn't need it with the seasoning and juices. Add a baked pototo crusted in Kosher salt and an ear or two of corn and it's about the best meal to be had.
Old 09-11-11, 02:21 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Bruce, I want to know how you're getting prime grade beef!!!

I've always heard the restaurant buyers snap it all up.

On the matter at hand, I refuse to choose. Beef, pork, fowl, seafood...it's all good. The world would be a worse place if even one of them was off the menu.
Old 09-11-11, 02:23 PM   #9
joedog

bassboogieman, sounds great, love cajun especially blacken! Needless to say I'm on my way to the butcher! Hey, believe or not I have a mexican butcher shop in my town and they sell porterhouse at 5.19 a pound and I'm told and believe it's black angus! At those prices I can't afford to clean fish! Thats not a mis-type, 5.19 a pound. Have a great meal this evening!
Old 09-11-11, 03:00 PM   #10
nofearengineer

Remember "angus" is not a grade of meat, but a brand.

Great marketing plan, but I'm not a fan.

EDIT - I should have said "Certified Angus Beef".

Angus is obviously a type of cow, but not a grade.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 09-11-11 at 03:10 PM.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 03:19 PM   #11
bassboogieman

Quote:
Bruce, I want to know how you're getting prime grade beef!!!
Because I'm willing to pay $16 - $20 a pound (depending on cut) from my butcher. I've also dealt with the same shop for 30 years, they know me and when they have something particularly nice they let me know. Y'know not all the good stuff is out front in the display case. If you've ever eaten in a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse - I'll put these steaks up against them anytime.

Angus cattle (ăng'gəs), breed of black polled (hornless) beef cattle, originated in Scotland and introduced in 1873 to the United States, where they have become well established. Often called Black Angus or Aberdeen Angus cattle, they have low, compact bodies and are noted for the fine quality of their flesh.

Yes sir, fine quality of flesh - is one way to put it.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 09-11-11 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-11-11, 03:40 PM   #12
nofearengineer

The last 1/4 cow I got was angus. The butcher said that it would have graded pretty close to prime. It did have a lot of fat in it. Maybe a little too much. The steaks and roasts were pretty tasty though.

I'm supposed to pick up another 1/4 tomorrow. I'm not sure, but I think this one might be a Hereford. We'll see how it does. I still have a bunch left from the last one, but my "supplier" won't have another one for 18 months at least. It is sweet knowing exactly what the cow you're eating ate, and no hormones or chemicals.

One of these days, I'll try some grass-fed prime.
Old 09-11-11, 04:03 PM   #13
Jrob78

I like just about any kind of meat or seafood. I am a firm believer that animals were put here for us to eat and enjoy and I most certainly do.

My favorite is probably beef though. Here in TX, beef is king. Give me a medium rare rib eye, tenderloin or even chopped slow cooked beef brisket any day.
Old 09-11-11, 04:07 PM   #14
joedog

I understood angus to be like a breed of beef, I have clients who breed and raise for sale angus beef! That's the way it was explained to me. And I have no clue what certified means but I think its like having like papers on your dog, my "Golden" has papers so it certifies that he is truely a Golden Retiever. I'm probably wrong! Oh and you outta see these animals while still alive they are truely beautiful creatures. I prefer to see mine dead and grilled tho!
Old 09-11-11, 08:48 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I am definitely a seafood person. Any chance I get to try something new, I do.

I'm a fan of all those fish that taste great right off the grill like Salmon, Swordfish, Tuna, and even Halibut. I also love good old fried perch, walleye, or bluegill... But my favorite fish will never see a grill, oven or hot oil in a pan; just a little wasabi and a ball of rice. Tuna sushi (or even sashimi) is probably one of my top picks. Eel and yellowtail are also pretty dang good. I've tried quite a few things like octopus and even raw shrimp.

Shellfish are something I haven't gotten a whole lot of exposure to other than crab legs (and I love those). I don't care for lobster too much. I recently added both mussels and oysters to the list of seafood I've had. Both were good.

When it comes to beef, there's a few cuts that I like better than the rest. If I'm going to eat and really enjoy a steak, it's gotta be a nice well marbled ribeye or a good fillet. Anything else is just ok with me. I just did a whole tenderloin last night and that was great. (I'll post the recipe on a new thread)

BB
Old 09-11-11, 09:54 PM   #16
keithdog

My answer is going to be short and sweet, mainly because I'm sooo darn tired right now. Filet mignon. Medium rare.
Old 09-11-11, 10:11 PM   #17
bamabassman

now bruce....you hit on something i totatly forgot. man i LOVE blackend steak. and you are correct on HOW to prepare it. with BUTTA!!

and i just want you to know that we are having STEAK tomorrow night for SUPPA..yes..SUPPA (southern for supper).

and yes daniel, SEARED on the outside. lock in those juices for sopping up with the bread. hahaha.

we have access to a local MEAT market. i can get some nice aged beef there, it IS expensive, but well worth it. as for ANGUS beef. a little too strong for me sometimes. i prefer (if i could) to have half angus and half white faced hereford. when i was growing up we always had a cow to "fatten" up for our freezer (also had an uncle who was a pig farmer,his wife, my aunt, worked in a chicken plant. so we never went without meat, lol).

well we had this 1 heifer, betsy mae, she would jump or run through the fence and go over to the neighbors pasture to where the angus were (black angus) and meet up with her boyfriend. lol, she had her baby.a little black bull we named BOO. the were ALWAYS getting out of our pasture and going over to see "poppa". we corraled them up and "fixed" ol boo. betsy mae did NOT like it either, haha. after 9 months of free ranging, we locked up ol boo and fed him 12% sweet feed for the last 3 months of his young life. MAN.........did he taste good. steaks, burgers, ribs, roast. ate every bit of it. i would love to do the same thing here, but maw-in-law gets so attached to the animals here we just can't right now. got 20 acres of pasture and some good grass to feed em with. nice barn too.......can lock em up really nice. one day........hopefuly one day i can do it. save us a lot of money on meat and have the BEST beef you can get too.
1 black angus bull and 2 white face herefords would do the trick. sell 1 baby to pay for the other butchering.

then find a way to have a pig sty, hahahaha.maybe i can talk ol mississippiboy into having one? BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Old 09-11-11, 10:33 PM   #18
Kevin
Administrator

Scrapple... medium rare.
Old 09-12-11, 02:49 AM   #19
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Being from Kansas City I have to say give me some beef or pork BBQ'D! Ribs, burnt ends, and brisket would be my favorites. As for seafood I don't think I could ever get enough shrimp or crab!
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 07:21 PM   #20
coachpurdy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

ya'll are killing me talking about all of this good food
Pork, just anyway, anything is good. Fried pork chop, BBQ'D ribs, pulled pork or anything.
Ribeye steaks, preferably black angus
Lamb is great
Shrimp, fried or boiled
Fried crappie, baked, grilled, its all good. Will eat bass and catfish but crappie has to be the best game fish. Saltwater or fresh water!
And what is scrapple?
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 07:56 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpurdy
And what is scrapple?
Ground up left overs from butchering (pork I believe) mixed with cornmeal or flour to make a loaf that doesn't look unlike meatloaf. Then it's sliced and fried. I've never had it, but I will try almost anything once. It can't be much worse than head cheese (which I HAVE eaten).

Oh, and crappie pale in comparison to the delicious game fish of the north: Yellow Perch and Walleye.

BB
Old 09-12-11, 08:03 PM   #22
woody

Yes, it is everything leftover from a pig, besides the "oink" and "squeal" or course. lol

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-11, 08:16 PM   #23
Tavery5

I seen scrapple many times as a kid, but never tried it. Kinda wish I had given it a try now, because it sounds kinda good to me. I looked on-line after the initial post, the Dutch name for scrapple is Pon Hause, I believe it is the same stuff.
Old 09-12-11, 08:46 PM   #24
bassboogieman

If I'd know that some of you at Wheeler had never tried scrapple, I'd have had you over for breakfast. I made scrapple and eggs for breakfast one morning - NFE was not impressed, he's more of a Cherrio's and orange soda kinda guy, but I like it. Had a loaf left over and Donald (nobass) got that. Shame, could have put y'all onto a great breakfast meat. LOL!
Old 09-14-11, 07:31 PM   #25
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
If I'd know that some of you at Wheeler had never tried scrapple, I'd have had you over for breakfast. I made scrapple and eggs for breakfast one morning - NFE was not impressed, he's more of a Cherrio's and orange soda kinda guy, but I like it. Had a loaf left over and Donald (nobass) got that. Shame, could have put y'all onto a great breakfast meat. LOL!
Well, at the next get together you gotta make it if you come.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.