Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-09, 01:03 PM   #1
dynakin
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Lure selections help?

I am relatively new to bass fishing and will be heading out on the lake this weekend. (Lake Sinclair, Georgia, 80º, calm and sunny) I have read hundreds of the post on this forum (thanks for the info) but it seems overwhelming at times. Could I get some advice on how to start the day with lure selection for each rod? Then what would you try next. I am not necessarily going for the hawg, just trying to learn how to fish for a good size bass. I would probably trying fishing the shore from a boat (docks, rocks, trees) Thanks for the advice and I appreciate the wealth of info thus far.

Rod 1: AbuGarcia SilverMax Baitcaster (Berkely Lightning M or MH?) 12lb
Rod 2: Spinning Reel (Medium rod) 10lb
Rod 3: Spinning Reel (Berkely Lightning ML) 8lb
Rod 4: Spinning Reel (Light - Ultralight Action) Any need to rig this?

I have a fair assortment of worms, spinners, crankbaits, ragetail shad, jig heads, rattle traps.
dynakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 01:56 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the site. You're right, it can be overwhelming with all the info on here. Just stick with your strengths and you'll be fine. Of course, if you start learning new techniques, you'll wake up the bait monkey, and it's all over with after that happens.

A couple questions might help narrow down the choices a little bit. What's the water temp, and how's the water clarity? That baitcaster rod setup looks like a good crankbait or spinnerbait rig. I'd start with one of these as a search bait, to cover water and get a reaction strike. If you find a fish or two, go back with a slower presentation like a worm, Senko, etc., and pick apart the cover or structure you caught them on. You've got some relatively light action rods, besides the baitcaster, so think smaller, finesse presentations. Throw a worm, Senko, or (insert plastic bait of choice) under the piers, and as far underneath overhanging limbs as you can get it (learn to skip). They'll likely be hiding in the shade.

As far as #4 setup, if you'd like some bluegill/perch action, put some 4-6 lb line and a grub, beetlespin, roostertail, etc on there and wear them out. A big bluegill on an ultralight feels like a 10lb bass on a regular bass rod.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Old 05-04-09, 02:18 PM   #3
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah water temp would help greatly..... im going to assume that they are definatley post spawn.... so the next question is if the fish in that lake chase bait and are schoolin up..... right now are clarks hill (georgia/sc border) they are schoolin..

so if they are schoolin throw a top water like a super spook...... i would defianatley tie on a shakey head because they might be worn out from spawnin and just be lazy and shut down a little......

you might also want to throw a spinnerbait or a rattle trap if its windy/ cloudy.....

if it all breaks down throw a wacky worm
Old 05-04-09, 02:33 PM   #4
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

throw a SENKO!!!! texas rigged with no weight...if that doesnt work, try it wacky rigged.

im ASSUMING AYG is talkin about a senko when he says "wacky worm"
Old 05-04-09, 03:48 PM   #5
dynakin
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the advice, let's hope for a lot of luck
dynakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 04:26 PM   #6
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I most often start with a search bait. If you are fishing clear water use a natural color, if its stained to muddy use a bright and even flashy bait. I like to start with cranks if the fish are deeper, such as on points and deep flats. I will go with a spinnerbait if the fish are shallow which will probably be the case since you are in warm water country. If its overcast go with a gold willow/colorado combo, if its sunny I opt for a double willow in chrome. I like white or white chartreuse, but you can try out any combo. I would use this rig exclusively for the first hour or three untill you find a pattern with the fish, such as what structure, what depth of water they come out of, and water temp. Once you find this, I would go with the 1st spinning combo you mentioned and throw a t-rigged 7 inch berkly power worm or similar. I like to go with 3/8 oz of weight, but if you can get away with 1/4 go for it. I peg mine, it seems to help with skipping. I would use that to pick apart the cover.

If you don't get fish on the spinnerbait and you have tried varying your presentation, I would go to a crank and move deeper in the water column, like 5-12 feet instead of 0-5. Again, use the crank as a search bait and work deeper structure. Work flats with grass, humps, and creek channels. If you start picking up fish, try to put them on a pattern and then throw plastics again, either the t-rig setup mentioned earlier, or rig a shaky head or dropshot on the second spinning rig. If you know what structure you are targeting, pick it apart with your plastics, take your time and really concentrate on making accurate presentations. You should pick up fish in this manner.

If you are getting hit near woody or brushy shore cover, next time out you may consider spooling a baitcaster with 30-50 lb braid on a 7.5' rod, (the berkley lightning will work great for this) and either flip plastic craws and creature baits or jig and craw trailer into the cover.

When you are searching with a reaction bait, work quickely, keep that trolling motor running at a fast clip, assuming you are from a boat, otherwise move alot. Once you find your pattern, slow down and stay ontop of the fish, you may have to do some convincing.
Tight lines dynakin
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:09 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

welcome to the best bass fishing site on the world wide web pal. the folks here will help you out not doubt. feed tha bait monkey every once in a while and you'll be fine.
now as for your set ups. i like the silvermax baitcaster and lighting rod combo ( i also have this, though not same reel on the same rod) and ssissippiboy is right on in my opion.
and he correct on the rest of your setups as well.
bassin hit it on the head as well in my opion. spro, aiken, heck i like the way these guys think, hahahaha. now if only it would work for ME, hahahahaha.
right now i think you are in the same type of water as i am in. if you are fishing the tenn river inpoundment, the bass are coming off the beds and are hungry. but also right now we are having a lot of rain, causing a mud sitituation. so if you are gonna throw worms, lizards or any plastic bait, go with the darker colors. and fish em SLOWLY. spinnerbaits, darker colors in muddy water with BIG colorado blade(s). again slow roll it. crappie and bream, rooster tails are great, also for the little basses too lol, wear yourself out and have alot of fun. gain confidence, the try fo the bigguns.
hope ya have fun and ask ANYTHING YA FEEL LIKE YA NEED TA KNOW. we will do our best to help you out in any way we can.
Old 05-10-09, 09:41 AM   #8
Charles Slone
BassFishin.Com Member

Rod 1 : I would use a BPS Pro Enticer jig w/ a Berkley 3" Chigger craw trailer.

Rod 2 : 1/2 oz. Strike King KVD spinnerbait.

Rod 3 : Weightless wacky rigged 4" Senko.

Rod 4 : 1/8 oz. jig head, and a 3" grub or twin-tailed grub.
Charles Slone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-09, 06:18 PM   #9
B-I-G
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You should definitely have a crankbait, a spinnerbait, a plastic worm, and topwater. The specifics can be your choice, but that's what I would go with.

Crankbaits and spinnerbaits are very versatile when it comes to catching bass since you can just use a steady retrieve, although sometimes adding a little variety would help.

Plastic Worms are one of the bass-catchers around. When fishing docks and cover, I would probably lean towards a Senko/Dinger type worm. I prefer to rig them weightless T-Rig and the bass usually hit it on the fall.

Those are the lures that I would start out with but also take into consideration what the others have said.
Old 05-12-09, 09:31 AM   #10
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Here is what I would do.
Setup 1. 1/4 - 3/8 oz. spnnerbait. I like white with gold blades.
Setup 2. A topwater like the Heddon baby torpedo. Twitch and pause retreive. A small stick bait like a #8 floating Rapala or a small Rattlin Rouge twitched and jerked along the surface would be a great choice as well. After the surface bite slows down I would switch over to a medium diving crankbait like a Rapala DT-6.
Setup #3 A 4 inch sinko wacky rigged or t rigged with a light wire offset hook. With a medium light action rod and 8 pound line, I think it could be tough to drive the hook home with a t rigged plastic, unless it's a small bodied lure with a thinner wire hook.
Setup 4. Any of the numerous small baits, such as 1/8oz jighead with a 2 inch twister grub, small tube, a micro small crankbait for crappie like the Strike King Bitsy Pond Minnow. A # 1 or #2 Mepps spinner, a little 4 inch pre-rigged plastic worm, the kind with the 3 small exposed hooks. A crappie jig would work well also. Any of this type of small bait presentations would work well with the #4 setup.
You could be VERY suprised at how well you could do with setup #4 and small baits right now. Not only could you get some great eatting panfish like crappie and big gills, but you probably would get into some good bass action as well. Keep in mind, the lakes will soon be filling up with small fry which bass and other fish will be zoning in on. I always downsize my presentations in late spring/early summer to more accuratly match the size of the prey this time of year.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.