Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-11, 10:18 PM   #1
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Pre-Spawn Techniques?

Well, it's officially pre-spawn here. I saw some males fanning and making areas to make beds. Caught a nice plump female today too on a lipless crank ripping through the grass. They're gonna be moving up into spawning areas in large numbers pretty soon (theirs a few there right now). I'm thinking I'll toss a 4" BBZ around and rip free from the grass. And maybe a floating BBZ early in the norning. Of course I'll keep with the lipless as long as I can.

So who do you guys like to target 'em in pre-spawn. The lake's relatively shallow, and really grassy. Both largemouth, and smallmouth, I'd like to target smallies if I can.
Old 05-10-11, 06:47 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Myself, I do well here in Indiana with both a floating and suspending jerk biat worked over the tops of weedbeds in 4-8 foot of water. The Excaliber jerbaits worked great this year right after ice out, but many others work well such as the LC Pointed and Smithwicks Rattlin Rouges. Another bait I've scored well with durring early prespawn is the chatterbait worked slowly over and around cover. I'll crawl it just above the bottom where weed grouth isn't too heavy yet. And the lipless crank as you've mentioned is a good one to use.
Old 05-12-11, 07:32 AM   #3
tim4081
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'll second Keith on the suspending jerk baits....I use pointers, X-raps and Long A's and all produce at times. I know here in the north most people don't think about top water until summer but as the fish start moving shallow don't rule that out either. I picked up 8 yesterday on a Zell pop including a nice 4+, all came from less than 3' of water
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 01:09 PM   #4
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I dont know how they forage up there, but down here they look for crawfish in the prespawn, as craws are higher in protein than shad per ounce. So eat one craw or eat two shad... you get teh picture. So even when i throw cranks, lipless cranks in teh spring i go with craw colors and make sure to stay on teh bottom where they are lookin for those craws. In clear water, and when targeting smallies is when i break out the jerk bait.

And as always a Jig is never a bad idea. Smaller and more natural colored, worked REALLY slow til the water warms up some.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.