Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-11, 07:10 PM   #1
LSLURES
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Problems making football head jigs

So Ive been making jigs a while and for some dumb reason when i pour my lead into the mold it doesnt completely make the shape of my football head jig......it makes around half of the barb keeper and exposes the hook underneath the football head jig.........so frustrating. Any one know any tricks or tips on what to do to fix this? or does someone know my problem????? its frustrating as heck and im excited to put out my new line of football heads but just cant get it right. Thanks guys

Ryan
LSLURES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 08:28 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My first guess is that your mold isn't hot enough. Does it get better after you pour several heads? If so then it's your mold being to cold and cooling the lead off too fast. To fix this you can pour lead in the cavities with no hooks in them and let the lead set in the mold for a while as well as sitting the mold on top of your melting pot, this will make sure your mold gets good and hot.

If it doesn't get better as your pour more heads then I would bet your temp setting on the melting pot is too low and your lead is cooling off too fast.

If neither of the above are the reason then make sure you are getting a fast steady stream of lead out of the melting pot, if it's partially clogged and your not getting a full stream then the lead will set up in the bottom of the cavity before the pour is complete and that can have results like you are having.
Old 02-07-11, 08:34 PM   #3
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I agree with C-Rig. Most likely your mold is too cold. Used to have this trouble when I poured 1 - 1.5 oz. spinnerbaits. It took too long for the lead to get completely filled in the cavity and it got too cold. Pour some "blanks" and you should be good to go.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11, 10:31 PM   #4
HarveysMinnow
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Safety issues

I don't mean to change the direction of this thread, but you guys who are working with molten lead need to be careful. Wear a protective mask while you are pouring, so you don't intake the lead vapors. And when you're done for a while, wash your hands thoroughly. Lead is one of those heavy metals (like mercury, cadmium, and others) that can accumulate in your body over the years.

Please check out this site also:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lea...CTION=symptoms
HarveysMinnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11, 09:07 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I always heat my molds up before I pour. A small propane torch works fine or set it on top of your melting pot for a bit. Also, if it's a brand new mold, it may need lubing. light a candle and use it coat the inside of the mold cavities with black soot. I have to do this occasionally. As the mold gets used a lot and worn in, it won't need it.

BB
Old 02-08-11, 05:25 PM   #6
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Lslures,
There are a lot of good video clips on the net about pouring jigs. Check out wired2fish.com, they have some good videos about the jig making process. Post some pictures of what your jigs are looking like and that may get you some more ideas of how to help with this problem.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 09:49 AM   #7
Mac2

If the mold is "new" it may take a number of pourings before behaving properly. I got this info from a friend who pours for a living. www.leadfreejigheads.com is his site. He does excellent work, and says pouring "partials" may occur until the mold is used enough.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 10:07 AM   #8
mrmuskie5

Another thing to take in to consideration is what type of lead are you using? is it specific lure making lead (real soft usually in ingot form) or are you using wheel weights, found pieces of lead? some leads are actually alloys and contain other metals. When you start melting this stuff it takes way higher temps to pour correctly. Ive had this problem in the past. one good thing is if you can pour this alloy lead correctly your jigs will be much harder. good luck with the jigs.
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 10:17 AM   #9
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I had this happen the a few weeks ago and it had been a while since I poured lead so I forgot to soot the molds. I just used a lighter and held the flame close to make a black coat in the mold. Voila, perfect pours just as BB said.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 05:28 PM   #10
LSLURES
BassFishin.Com Member

Awesome guys thanks a lot for all the information. Its a brand new mold, and i have read about sooting the inside with a candle but i tried it and it works. My lead is pure soft lead and very clean, so i know its not the lead, i just believe that its cooling to quickly and not properly making the football shape. Thanks again everybody.

Ryan
LSLURES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 05:39 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

New molds can require a surprisingly large amount of soot. When I got my last mold, I coated the inside of the cavities until they were completely black, not just a little sooty. It may be a combination of that and the mold being too cold.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.