Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-09, 01:14 AM   #1
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default 2010 Revo's, Anyone have one?

Well I have quite a bit in Bass pro gift cards and am thinking of buying one or two of the 2010 Revo's. I was wondering if anyone has been able to fish with one yet, and how it performed.

I'm not a big fan of buying stuff before I am able to fish with it a few times, but my other Revos have served me well so I might make an exception here. If anyone has any info about how the brakes perform on the STX and the Premier, that would be the most help.

Which two would y'all get?
Old 12-31-09, 09:00 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

It the brakes perform like Pfluegers (they're quite similar, I've heard), then they should be great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a reel from a company that I've had good experienced with in the past without testing it first.

BB
Old 12-31-09, 11:41 AM   #3
nofearengineer

TN...I have a 2010 STX HS and a 2010 Premier (the other guys might be tired of hearing about it ..who cares, I was very excited to get them )

I was a baitcaster novice this year, so my comments are not qualified by years and years of experience, mind you.

That being said, I love these reels. They are both silky smooth. The drag is amazingly smooth on both reels. They look great too, but you can be the judge of that for yourself. As far as the dual braking, I can really tell it makes a difference. The centrifugal brakes allow you to let it go a little more mid-cast without so much magnetic braking, and the magnetic brakes are still nice on those short little pinpoint casts so you don't have to thumb quite as much.

I've caught several large bass on the STX and it totally owned the fish. Only a couple 2lb and less fish on the Premier, but I have no reason to expect any less from it than the STX.
Old 12-31-09, 06:33 PM   #4
TN_Bassin

Thanks a lot for the info. I will probably end up getting a STX and a Premier too. Are the grips on the Premier EVA foam?
Old 01-01-10, 10:20 AM   #5
3dkicker

Unless they made the new 2010 that much better I'd buy the discounted 2009's and purchase some baits with the saved money ($80 per I think). The 2009 is a very good reel.
Old 01-01-10, 10:48 AM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Thanks a lot for the info. I will probably end up getting a STX and a Premier too. Are the grips on the Premier EVA foam?
Yes, they sure are!
Old 01-01-10, 01:06 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Unless they made the new 2010 that much better I'd buy the discounted 2009's and purchase some baits with the saved money ($80 per I think). The 2009 is a very good reel.
I agree with Smitty. Unless you get a really good deal on ebay or something, the 2009 reels are great bargains right now.
Old 01-01-10, 03:22 PM   #8
bassinbob

I've never used a dual brake reel. Are they that much better? That might be one reason to purchase the 2010. I'd like to try one but don't need any reels now.
Old 01-01-10, 10:37 PM   #9
TN_Bassin

I have 2 of the 2009 Premiers and 3 of the 2009 Stx's and I am happy with them. I just want to see if the 2010's are that much better. I also have a Revo S, and it is probably the luckiest reel I own. (for some reason it catches bigger fish than the others)

Reading the Bass Pro catalouge and the Abu website it seems they did a pretty big overhaul on the Premier. New paint, brakes, heavier drag, and a new handle design. And evidently EVA foam grips.

Are the 2010's any more smoother than the 2009's? Because the 2009's were smoother than my cousin's Shimano Calais's in my opinion.

And I probably would buy a bunch more of the 2009's if the Nashville Bass Pro would put them on sale. The guy at the reel center told me a few weeks back that they had no plans to put them on clearance.
Old 01-01-10, 10:53 PM   #10
nofearengineer

The Premier definitely got a bigger overhaul than the STX, with the additional drag improvement.

Personally, I can't imagine a reel being any smoother. When cranking it, you do not get the "gears meshing" feeling whatsoever...and the drag is silky smooth.
Old 01-01-10, 11:05 PM   #11
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
...and the drag is silky smooth.

I cannot even feel the drag pulling when I have a fish on. The drag on the Revos is probably my biggest selling point. On a lot of reels you get the kind of jerky drag pull and personally I think that can sometimes jar the bait from the fishes mouth. (especially when I am fishing topwater)

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.