Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-11, 02:04 AM   #1
st.croix229
BassFishin.Com Member

Default big bass

Any pointers in helping me get my big bass of the summer , TN lakes ...
st.croix229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 05:22 AM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Go deep.......
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 05:31 AM   #3
rogatsby
BassFishin.Com Member

Jig and pig?
rogatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 04:00 PM   #4
bassinbob

Big baits.
Old 06-27-11, 04:08 PM   #5
MIbasser

Fish the whole lake, every inch. You're bound to hit one in the head.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-11, 06:36 PM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I don't subscribe to the big bait = big bass notion unless your talking live bait. It's a rare bass who makes it to lunker size. To get trophy size, she has to be smart and very particular about what and how she eats. I believe that the larger the bait, the easier it is for a bass to detect it's imperfections. Not that a large swimbait like those often used in California won't catch a lunker bass, but I think your average will go up by using a more moderate size bait. A 1/2 oz. jig and pig combo offers a good size meal without looking freakish. Same way with a 1/2 oz. spinnerbait. I want my lure to have a more natural look to it. Something that a bass is going to see as something they would normally eat.
I read recently that more big bass are caught at depth of between 8-12 foot than any other depth range. Thats something to keep in mind. I would suppose that would depend somewhat on the water clarity of the body of water your fishing, but 8-12 foot was the average.
Lastly, Most folks talk about fishing early and late in the day for big bass as that is supposed to be prime feeding time. But the number of HUGE bass caught durring mid day hours is suprising. I read an article written by some guy who has caught a large number of trophy size bass. Wish I could remember who it was. My age is showing here, lol. Anyways, he said he caught more trophy bass between 11am and 4 PM than any other time period. Personally, I don't see how that can be, but thats what he said.
Now I'm no expert at catching trophys but I do know that jigs, swimbaits, 9-11 inch worms and big topwater baits are known trophy baits. I would include 1/2 oz spinnerbaits as well since that is a lure I've personally caught many big gals on. But make sure you have the right tackle for the lure presentation you choose to go with. You need the right tackle to make the lures perform at their best, and to handle a bass of trophy size. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 06-27-11, 06:41 PM   #7
Bob Smith

Go to Chickamauga, stop by Fish and Fun, in Chattanooga, and ask the guys there, then go do what they tell ya! The night time team tournamnents are bringing in 5 fish stringers up to 31 pounds with several 8 to 10 pound fish coming to the scales most nights from the reports I've been getting.
Old 06-27-11, 08:05 PM   #8
nobass

n any giving year aftre the spawn if i get 3or4 fish over three lbs i feel i have had a good year. most fish i catch are 12 to 14 inches long with one or two 2or3 pounders.. i do not feel you will catch big bss in tenn till they but a slot limit on them of 16 to 20 in, all other you must throw back. the 14 in limit and all the torneys hurt . too mnay small fish are being kept. i am not a catch and relaeas nut by ant means. we just need to let them grow a little more. just my two cents
Old 06-28-11, 01:32 AM   #9
Lvitch
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would throw a big jig (half oz and up) and also a smaller bed bug type jig (3/16 oz) , a big worm (12") , and a large Rapala (f-18) or bomber long A. Bigger baits really do catch bigger fish, you just have to deal with not catching as many. More than what to throw, the real question is where to fish it. You need to find the big fish hang outs to catch them. I highly suggest reading Big Bass Zone. You'll see the world differently.
Old 06-28-11, 04:29 PM   #10
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Go to Chickamauga, stop by Fish and Fun, in Chattanooga, and ask the guys there, then go do what they tell ya! The night time team tournamnents are bringing in 5 fish stringers up to 31 pounds with several 8 to 10 pound fish coming to the scales most nights from the reports I've been getting.
Hey Bob, is Chickamauga eclipsing G'ville? I might be heading up through middle alabama and tennessee in a few weeks and might have to make another stop with the yak. Is it a milfoil lake?
Old 06-29-11, 08:17 PM   #11
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Hey Bob, is Chickamauga eclipsing G'ville? I might be heading up through middle alabama and tennessee in a few weeks and might have to make another stop with the yak. Is it a milfoil lake?
in a big way, Billy! I heard that Nickajack ain't doing too shabby right now either. The guys up in Chattanooga actually protect reports from Nickajack as if it's their own private honeyhole.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.