Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-11, 06:31 PM   #1
toppwatr
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default How to handle a jump

Today I lost a beast to a tailwalk and was so angry. What is the best way to handle a jump when you see the line going into that position?
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-11, 07:03 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

pull the oppsite direction has worked for me............well someitmes. sometimes oyu just can't keep em on. some oyu win, some oyu lose. it's the fight that makes it worth while. and you get to tell stories of the BIG one that got away. even if it is a dink like i catch........and miss. lol.
Old 06-30-11, 08:01 PM   #3
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Try to keep him from jumping at all...when you think he's surfacing, stick your rod tip underwater, as far as you can, and keep pressure on him, pulling him down so he can't jump.
Old 07-01-11, 01:28 AM   #4
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Try to keep him from jumping at all...when you think he's surfacing, stick your rod tip underwater, as far as you can, and keep pressure on him, pulling him down so he can't jump.
This is the correct way to go about it. But there are times when they are going to jump and there is nothing you can do about it. In these cases you can try and pull this way or that way but honestly there is very little that you can do that will change the outcome. I do my best to keep them from jumping at all but when they do jump I just try to lean into them with constant pressure and hope for the best.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 01:33 AM   #5
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
That is the approach I was taught. With a beast of a fish it does not always work. Constant pressure is your best option but some are going to succeed in slinging your lure or breaking off.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 06:39 AM   #6
Mumpy

When I think he's jumping I Reel in line as fast as I can. Keeping that tension. This technique takes the fun out of Dinks though because you end up sking them across the top of the water. hehe
Old 07-01-11, 07:50 AM   #7
toppwatr

Ok thanks i think that I will try that sticking the rod under strategy, because I wasn't really able to buzz him in I was using my spinning rod and mono because it was a finesse bait. If that were to happen on my bait caster with 30 lb braid then yeah I would try that. Thank you for helping me.
toppwatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 08:49 AM   #8
OkobojiEagle

Using a rod that will bow easily and keeping the bow in the rod throughout the process will keep a bass buttoned most of the time. Sticking the rod in the water severely limits your ability to react quickly to the fishes next change of direction.

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 12:16 PM   #9
rogatsby
BassFishin.Com Member

Here's how I handle jumps:

Grin like crazy, sometimes let out a yelp, and then hope like crazy that he stays hooked
rogatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-11, 01:13 PM   #10
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogatsby View Post

Grin like crazy, sometimes let out a yelp, and then hope like crazy that he stays hooked
Best answer yet....
Old 07-01-11, 03:42 PM   #11
bamabassman

i agree with kory and ssipiboy, BUT if the fish is ALREADY in the air...that is what i was trying to say about pulling in the oppsiite direction. sorry, limited time to respond and i am jsut messing up i know. i will try to slow down and take more time in my responses gang.
Old 07-01-11, 10:53 PM   #12
keithdog

I try to have a partner with me holding his 22 rifle. Once that bass breaks water I have my partner pop him.
Old 07-02-11, 08:46 AM   #13
bassboogieman

Quote:
I try to have a partner with me holding his 22 rifle. Once that bass breaks water I have my partner pop him.
So much for "Catch & Release".

Note to self: do not fish anywhere near Keith, EVER! But I see the positive of not worring about being crowed while fishing.

I would "expect" this technique from 'Bama, but from a Yankee?

Yeah, I'm feeling better!!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-11, 08:47 AM   #14
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
So much for "Catch & Release".

Note to self: do not fish anywhere near Keith, EVER! But I see the positive, you don't ever have to worry about being crowed while fishing.
I got the idea by watching Swamp People
Old 07-02-11, 06:44 PM   #15
Lastinline
BassFishin.Com Member

Just lost one that way, Keeping the rod horizontal with the water
Help me land the next one, got lucky that their was a next one
took me a Nice fish to learn that.
Lastinline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-11, 03:21 PM   #16
waldershrek
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogatsby View Post

That's usually my method
waldershrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 08:24 AM   #17
IowaBasser

Such witty responses!
I almost hate to post a serious answer - but my technique is different from what I've read so I thought I'd throw in a different strategy. I fish a lot of river small-mouth and almost every fish jumps 2 or 3 times before I can land it. I rarely lose one; however, earlier this year I lost a decent largemouth when she jumped. It's the first fish I lost to a jump that I can remember in 4 or 5 years.

I've never tried sticking my rod underwater to keep them from jumping. When I feel a fish making a run towards the surface like she's going to jump, I back way off on the pressure. Usually I stop reeling, and lower my rod-rip. I am still keeping a taught line, but I'm no longer pulling/horsing the fish in. Sometimes the change in pressure will cause the fish to change directions, or not to jump. At the very least, I'm not PULLING the fish out of the water when she breaks the surface. If the fish does break the surface, I raise my rod-tip putting just a little more pressure on the fish. With the added pressure, I try to keep any slack out of the line if the fish shakes her head.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-11, 11:32 AM   #18
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I do about like Iowa. You ever watch guys fly fishing for tarpon and stuff on fly gear? When they feel the fish surging a lot of times they stop, squat, and point to the fish or release a lot pressure. I tend to stop reeling though and let my rod absorb the jump. For good measures though I hyperventilate, leave pinch marks in the seat if I am sitting or suck enough underwear up my butt that my elastic waistband is spent if I am standing, say a please God don't let her get off and hope for the best.
Old 07-11-11, 11:40 AM   #19
Bassboss

Quote:
Yup, that's what I do too, If it's big enough he'll still jump, but usually if it's a fish under 5 pounds, it'll work.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.