Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-10, 01:04 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default just a little venting

ok gang.....gonna vent some here so bear with me. Lisa had a gall bladder attack last night and i had to take her to the emergency room at the local small hospital. she is scheduled to have it removed thursday at UAB. but i thought that since she was in such pain last night that this hospital would go ahead and take it out. NO! i was WRONG! they pumped her full of pain meds and said that UAB called and said she would be fine till thursday. needless to say i am PISSED OFF RIGHT NOW! after we returned home a got some much needed sleep (i just got up). i find out the UAB called lisa and told her that IF she had gone there (2 hour drive) they would have removed it this morning. but the doctor is not doing any surgeries again till thursday....as scheduled. now i understand that there are rules and so forth to go by. AND i understand why the local hospital wouldn't do it seeing that lisa has had a kidney transplant. BUT WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE TOLD US TO GO TO UAB AFTER SHE WAS PUMPED FULL OF MEDS?!? this is unbelieveable to me. we could have gone down there and had this OVER with by now. now we have to watch REALLY closely to make sure that she doesn't have another attack and the thing doesn't rupture. boy...........i am telling you gang i am really getting tired of things like this. i can't say anything for fear of upsetting lisa. but i am ready to freaking blow up on some folks. aaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhh!

ok.....deep breaths......slowly............ok.

thanks gang i know that at least YA'LL understand. i am ok now.thanks again for letting me vent.
Old 01-11-10, 01:23 PM   #2
nofearengineer

Sorry to hear about Lisa's troubles, Bama. Hopefully she's on some really good meds and not nearly as stressed out as you are.

Unfortunately, I think our healthcare situation is only going to get worse, but hang in there until Thursday and try not to worry about it.

Give me a call if you want to scream at someone.
Old 01-11-10, 01:36 PM   #3
BlueDaksi
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Dealing with incompetent medical facilities who lose sight of the patients for attending to the whole system can be very frustrating. Don't be afraid to be very proactive in obtaining medical care. Listen to your instincts. Many, not all, medical facilities are flawed in this way. For example...

A couple of weeks ago, my son woke up in the morning feeling fine, then started feeling some abdominal pain, then nausea (threw up twice), followed by increasing pain radiating on his right side and a fever. We knew that this was something more than a stomach bug because our son is not a wimp and when he says that he is in intense pain, it means that he was having intense pain. We called our local after-hours clinic (this happened on a Saturday) to see if we could get him some attention. A physician (the on-call doctor, not a nurse or a PA...) called us back and we described the symptoms that I just wrote above. He said that it didn't sound like what we were beginning to think it was because there was vomiting associated with the symptoms and that we should just "keep an eye on him" to see if he gets worse or feels better later.

After a quick discussion with my wife, we decided that there was something seriously wrong and we took my son to the emergency room of Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, NY, 30 miles away. After a very quick examination they suspected what we had and blood tests corroborated the diagnosis. He was rushed into surgery and the diagnosis was confirmed and the problem taken care of. We arrived at the hospital at around 3:30pm. By 6pm he was in surgery and 8pm, was in the recovery room. We took him home at 1pm the next day, less than 24 hrs after he arrived.

Now I ask you, what do you think my son's medical condition was?

As further evidence of our local clinic's incompetence, the daughter of one of my fishing buddies had the same ailment the month previous. She was actually seen by a doctor there and they were told that it was probably a stomach bug. They knew that it was something more serious as well and took her to Strong Memorial Hospital to the same conclusion that we had.

You have every right to be fumed about the miscarriage of medical service that your wife received. I hope that she is now receiving the care that she needs. Prayers to you both for a successful recovery.
Old 01-11-10, 02:35 PM   #4
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Sorry to hear about Lisa. Yeah I can totally understand you needing to vent. I'm willing to bet, I woulda been kickin stuff.
Good luck on Thursday!
Old 01-11-10, 05:15 PM   #5
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I hope they fix her up Thursday. Sorry you are having to deal with delays in care. If your little town is like most you are far better off taking her to UAB.
AUFred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 07:22 PM   #6
keithdog

That really sucks Bamma. Real sorry to hear that. Maybe the worst part of the whole thing other than Lisa suffering is feeling totally helpless at the hands of incompetants and thoughtless medical professionals. It's not their pain, so they arn't so concerned. I know thats not true of all of them, but when your going through what you are, it sure must seem that way. Your both in my prayers.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-10, 07:45 PM   #7
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I probably would have had to smack someone there after you found out you could have had it done sooner. Good luck and I hope everything goes ok.
Old 01-11-10, 08:28 PM   #8
bamabassman

thanks guys, and yea i wanted to smakc, slap, punch and totaly jsut beat the crap outta some of them folks. but it is all set for thursday. i am ok......for now.
Old 01-11-10, 08:47 PM   #9
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Sorry to hear Mrs. Bama is sick, tell her I am praying for her.
Old 01-11-10, 11:02 PM   #10
1/4 stick

Sorry to here this Bama. I'll be praying for Lisa.

You have every right to me miffed. Sadly I agree with nofear, health care is only going to get worse.
Old 01-12-10, 10:11 AM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

We'll pray for Lisa too! Hope she feels better! Keep us updated John.

BB
Old 01-13-10, 03:41 PM   #12
carolina-rig-01

Hey John I am sorry I am late in wishing Lisa well, but I just now saw this post. I know how frustrating it can be when hospitals make stupid mistakes/decisions. We ran into some of this with Britney having a spinal headache when Lake was born and the doctors just kept ignoring her telling them how bad it hurt. It really does make you mad when they make that kind of money and still act like your problems are going to have to wait until they are ready to deal with them. Anyways tell Lisa that Britney and I are praying for you guys and if you need anything just holler.
Old 01-13-10, 06:29 PM   #13
Bassboss

Vent as much as you want bama!

That's a bunch a bull poo that they would do something like that and not tell you guys! Stupid doctors!

Well, good luck to both of you!
Old 01-13-10, 09:27 PM   #14
bamabassman

Thanks kory and boss.

Lisa is going in tomorrow morning at UAB. Don't know what time surgery is gonna be, thye wouldn't give an exact time. But she SHOULD be home when i get home from work. Her sister is going with her. THANK YOU GINGER!
My boss is a total jerk aobut these things. And since i haven't got enough time, i can't take off work without getting wrote up. But it is cool, really it is. This is supposed to be minor surgery compared to her transplant. So i ain't near as scared as then. Thank you all for your continued praters and thoughts. It truly means a lot to lisa and i.
Lisa said sid to tell everyone that she loves each and everyone of you. She will be alright cause she knows that you all are helping her through this as you did before.
So gang, bear with me for the next couple of days. I may be kinda off the wall more than usual.
Old 01-14-10, 01:11 PM   #15
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Thanks kory and boss.

Lisa is going in tomorrow morning at UAB. Don't know what time surgery is gonna be, thye wouldn't give an exact time. But she SHOULD be home when i get home from work. Her sister is going with her. THANK YOU GINGER!
My boss is a total jerk aobut these things. And since i haven't got enough time, i can't take off work without getting wrote up. But it is cool, really it is. This is supposed to be minor surgery compared to her transplant. So i ain't near as scared as then. Thank you all for your continued praters and thoughts. It truly means a lot to lisa and i.
Lisa said sid to tell everyone that she loves each and everyone of you. She will be alright cause she knows that you all are helping her through this as you did before.
So gang, bear with me for the next couple of days. I may be kinda off the wall more than usual.

Keep your chin up buddy, and keep us updated
Old 01-14-10, 04:40 PM   #16
Bob Smith

Just read this, I hope all went well for Lisa today, Bama!?
Old 01-14-10, 06:36 PM   #17
bamabassman

All is very well gang. Lisa is home and doing just fine now. She is a little gassy form the surgery and sore somewhat, but she said as long as she is home, she is A-OK. Thank you to each and everyone of you for your thoughts and prayers.
Old 01-14-10, 06:43 PM   #18
JB

great news bama, no doubt its been a long day and week as well. Can Lisa eat soon ? I bet she will be starved when she comes to
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 06:54 PM   #19
WaffleJaw

Bama that is great news,glad to hear everything went smoothly.(for the most part)
Good to know you both can take a breather now
Old 01-14-10, 07:05 PM   #20
Bob Smith

GASSY!? I can identify after eating some Ms Esther's homemade Taco Soup this evening! OH YOU MEAN GASSY as in Groggy! from the anesthesia! Sorry bout that! TEll Lisa to get well and quit getting all those danged ailments! Hoping to see you guys soon.
Old 01-14-10, 07:34 PM   #21
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
GASSY!? I can identify after eating some Ms Esther's homemade Taco Soup this evening! OH YOU MEAN GASSY as in Groggy! from the anesthesia! Sorry bout that! TEll Lisa to get well and quit getting all those danged ailments! Hoping to see you guys soon.
Mexican food... does it every time!

I'm glad all went well bama. Tell her we're wishing her a speedy recovery.
Old 01-15-10, 12:48 PM   #22
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post

He means gassy as in they had to take an air hose and shove it in your abdomin to expand the abdominal cavity in order to see what they were doing. That gas will go away in about a week Bama.
Old 01-15-10, 05:25 PM   #23
MallenManson

Great news, bama! Glad to see she made it home ok
Old 01-15-10, 09:53 PM   #24
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
He means gassy as in they had to take an air hose and shove it in your abdomin to expand the abdominal cavity in order to see what they were doing. That gas will go away in about a week Bama.
Hmmm....I find the name of this thread a wee bit ironic.

Seriously though, Bama. Glad to hear everything went fine. You get to be the housewife for a while now and take care of that woman!
Old 01-15-10, 09:58 PM   #25
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Good call NFE. Glad to hear everything is going good John, but we will continue praying for a full recovery.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.