Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-11, 10:24 PM   #1
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

Default which rod should i get?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...Number=1020942

Thinking of getting the carrot stick but still dont know. Just want a rod that will last the longest while keeping the best quality and durability.
BassMan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 02:11 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quality is not what I think when someone mentions carrot stick. I don't know about their warranty either. I know they offered a lifetime warranty on their original rods, but many many people had trouble getting rods replaced.

What is your budget? Your link didn't work so I don't know what Carrot Stick you were looking at.

A few of the rods that come to mind when someone wants quality are Dobyns, Powell, and St. Croix. G. Loomis also makes great rods, I just don't think the craftsmanship is up to par. Shimano also makes good rods.

Personally, I'm making the transition to all (or nearly all) Dobyns Rods. With a lifetime warranty with the option of a $60 no questions asked exchange at any dealer, they probably have one of the better warranty options on the market. Shimano rods also have a good warranty with in-store replacement.

But I can see my Dobyns Rods lasting me a long time. The quality and craftsmanship is definitely there and is probably only surpassed by some of the higher end St. Croix rods. I have 2 of the Dobyns Champion rods and 2 of the Champion Extremes and am very happy with all four.

BB
Old 05-16-11, 05:52 PM   #3
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You may want to check out some of the custom rod builders as well. Wally has been building me a bunch of sticks out of the MudHoleX blanks and the Rain Shadow Blanks and I love them!
Old 05-16-11, 08:18 PM   #4
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

oops heres the right links to the 2 rods i was looking at
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...umber=10209423

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...rtNumber=51844
Old 05-16-11, 10:08 PM   #5
doc

Carrot stix warranty is only as good as the place you buy it. I bought one from tacklewarehouse my kid stepped on it (was a great rod, had no problems with it). I called TW and told them what happend. They had me cut the handle off and ship it to them (to save me on shipping) Then they credited me with the purchase price of the rod. No problems at all. Instead of going back with a carrot stix I went with the new boyd duckett micro rod (wich I have broken the tips off of 2). Ill say this the new microguide boyd duckett rods are nice, but i dont think theyre as durable as my carrot stix was. Just my opinion.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-11, 11:01 PM   #6
Tavery5

Call them what you will: fan boys, “pro-staffers,” “those Dobyns guys,” or even $%&#@!, but they’re out there and probably not going away. I think most are familiar with this group of people. It’s the group who bring up Dobyns rods as often as they can no matter what the topic is about. I’ve seen this numerous times before and it gets awfully annoying. Here are just a few examples of things I’ve seen:

1. A topic comes up, comparing two rods (neither Dobyns). The original poster (or OP) is usually deciding on which to buy wants specific opinions on the rods he’s narrowed it down to. Yet here come those Dobyns guys and start recommending and talking up Dobyns Rods.
Just Sayin.........
Old 05-16-11, 11:08 PM   #7
Imgoodatwhatido
BassFishin.Com Active Member

that carrot stick is super light, i pick one up every time i go to bps. If it wasnt fgor that god awful orange i would have one, maybe one day ill get over it. and for $100, not a bad price tag.
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 10:00 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Tavs, I don't really think that applies here. Although thanks for remembering my article!

The OP had mentioned he was thinking of a carrot stick. But he also was looking for other recommendations of quality rods. I offered a list of companies that I feel make quality rods. Then I offered my personal choice of rods. So like I said this doesn't really fit the example from my article.

BB
Old 05-17-11, 10:04 AM   #9
BigBassin144

Either way, I wouldn't buy either rod linked a couple posts up. All Star rods went south when manufacturing went overseas. And I've never been a carrot stick fan.

BB
Old 05-17-11, 11:17 AM   #10
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Tavs, I don't really think that applies here. Although thanks for remembering my article!
BB
It is a good article,well thought out,well written, just a shame I remembered it for the wrong reasons.
Old 05-17-11, 11:28 AM   #11
cassidyta

I have one of the original carrot sticks and am very pleased with it. I did break it once and it was hell getting it replaced. I think it took 4 months. The original was $149 when I got it, and I feel that the rod was well worth the money.
I have never had an issue with the replacement and would have no issue with owning another one of them.
I haven't used the all star rod that you showed so I can not speak to it.
The rods you showed range in the $80-110 range. That range will rull out some of the rods listed so far, but that doesn't mean you can't get a quality rod.

Last edited by cassidyta; 05-17-11 at 12:34 PM.
cassidyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 11:29 AM   #12
WaffleJaw

Any time this topic comes up...You get everyone's favorite rod...Which very few are the same.

If your able,I highly suggest go looking/handle every option available for your budget..Find what feels right,then inspect the build quality..If there are several of that model for sale, you are bound to find a quality built one.
Old 05-17-11, 03:23 PM   #13
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for all the opinions but could anyone mention any other rods in the $70-$100 range im only guna have one rod so i need a rod that will work well for any type of fishing, spooks,buzzbaits,weightless worms, swim jigs, and crankbaits. it doesnt have to be perfect just want a rod that could handle that type of fishing.
Old 05-17-11, 03:36 PM   #14
Bender

If you have one rod I would choose a 6-10" or 7' Medium Fast. It will be too wimpy to throw frogs, but should work O.K. for all the other tactics. I think a Medium Heavy might be too much if you are throwing smaller crankbaits but if you are going to stick with larger ones or are fishing around wood/weeds then look at a MH. Within the past couple of years there have been a lot of rods introduced that are at the $100 price point. I know that some of the more popular ones are St.Croix Mojos and the Falcon BuCoo, but there are a lot out there.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 03:47 PM   #15
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
If you have one rod I would choose a 6-10" or 7' Medium Fast. It will be too wimpy to throw frogs, but should work O.K. for all the other tactics. I think a Medium Heavy might be too much if you are throwing smaller crankbaits but if you are going to stick with larger ones or are fishing around wood/weeds then look at a MH. Within the past couple of years there have been a lot of rods introduced that are at the $100 price point. I know that some of the more popular ones are St.Croix Mojos and the Falcon BuCoo, but there are a lot out there.
Agreed.

You can also look at the Powell Max,and Lamiglass excel in the 100 price range I believe...I think Veritas and vendetta (abu garcia) are as well.
Is there anywhere near you to go handle rods??
Old 05-17-11, 07:17 PM   #16
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

just bass pro shops about 30 mins away but i could go there if i wanted to try some rods out also i would have to get it from bass pro shops so need a good rod thats on that website
Old 05-17-11, 09:17 PM   #17
tim4081

Another rod in your range would be the BPS carbonlite. I don't have any experience with Carrot stix so I won't recommend and denigrate them but I do have a carbonlite and have been very happy with it. Plus I believe they're on sale right now and you can either standard or micro guides on them. As far as power/action, you can go with either the MH fast or Med fast. As stated before the MH probably won't work well for cranks though.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 09:21 PM   #18
Ebbetsguy

From BPS in the c note range
BPS Pro Qualifiers
BPS Extremes

From KMART; They are currently selling the Fenwick HMG's on line for 79 bucks with another 9 for shipping, that is the best buy out there right now

7 ft or 6'6" MH?Fast is a good bet

if you do go to a bPS, then take your reels with you and put them on the rod you want to try, see how it feels to you
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-11, 09:43 PM   #19
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for all the help guys i narrowed it down to either carrot stix or abu garcia vendetta
Old 05-17-11, 10:00 PM   #20
Tavery5

I own both of the rods you have it narrowed down to, and have fished both of them over the last couple of years. I prefer the Carrot Stix to the Vendetta, it is lighter, is more sensitive and is better balanced. The Vendetta is less expensive and uses better guides. The Vendettas fish a little faster than their rated action, so you may want to take that in to consideration if you make it your choice.

I am curious as to why you chose the Vendetta over the Veritas since both are in your price range.
Old 05-17-11, 11:17 PM   #21
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

on bps the vendetta has a better rating so i just started looking at that. im still debating which one to get, im leaning toward the carrot stix but still having second thoughts.
Old 05-17-11, 11:43 PM   #22
Jrob78

If at all possible you should go somewhere and handle these rods. Look them over really well and get a feel for them. As was suggested earlier, bring your reel with you and put it on the rods.

I don't own any of these rods but they all have a big following and should be good rods. I would probably lean toward the Veritas over the Vendetta and the Carrot Stix if I were in your shoes.
Old 05-18-11, 01:35 PM   #23
jmartin

This is beating a dead horse but I have several Vendettas, a couple Wright Mcgills, several Browning Midas, one Loomis as well as a bunch of other brands. I buy what feels best in my hand when I am looking for a rod. So in summary the best advise I can give you is go to BPS or any place that sells rods and try all the ones in your price range and go with the one that suits you best.

Jerry
Old 05-18-11, 03:59 PM   #24
BassMan94
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks everyone
Old 05-19-11, 01:44 AM   #25
Rebbasser

BassMan94, first off, welcome to the forum!

Now, as to the question:

I've never used one but have not heard anything negative about the Carrot Stick. However, as I have said many times, use what feels right to YOU not somebody else. Everyone here has their favorites, and there are no right or wrong answers.

My advice is if you have not handled one go someplace that sells them and see how it feels. Terminal tackle is no biggie to order on line, but a rod and/or reel is a whole different matter. You may love the looks of one, but until you handle it you do not know how it will feel to you. I've been all set to buy a new rod or reel but when I actually handled it I didn't like the way it felt so I didn't get it. Handle it first and you will know what you are getting.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.