Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-11, 10:57 AM   #1
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Drop Shot Technique

Hello everyone, I am just getting started in this Technique and would like to discuss it a bit if you guys wouldn’t mind. Little bit about myself, I mainly fish the Chattahoochee River in the upper end of Lake Eufaula. During this time of year the Bass are in around 20’ of Water on the Main River Channel ledges. I am going tomorrow morning for the first time using this technique and I purchased quite a bit of stuff this week to prepare for it. 7’ Medium Action Spinning Rod with a nice Diawa Spinning reel, spooled up with 8LB Fluorocarbon line. I purchased the Gamagatzu Hooks and the Drop Shot Sinkers in the 5/16oz weight. I purchased a bunch of different types of baits, but I’m thinking these Berkley Gulp 4” Minnows may be the ticket.

Now, with all of that said, How long should I sit and shake the rod tip before I move it and start shaking again? What should I expect for the Bite? Will it like Rip it out of my hand or will I just feel weight? What is the Bite going to feel like?

What are your favorite lures to Drop Shot? What are you Favorite Colors?

Thanks in advance and It’s nice to be on this Board as well.
Mumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 11:09 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

In me experience it's tough to fish the dropshot wrong. I often cast it out and let it sit a little with just a bit of bow in my line. From there, I will shake it a bit and let it sit more. And repeat that a couple times before I move it and repeat. You definitely want to let the lure sit more than you are shaking it.

The other thing I'll do it cast it out and let it sink to the bottom. Then slowly drag it back to me. The weight coming in contact with the bottom and you pulling is enough to impart action to the bait. When doing this, I will pause and let the bait sit during my retrieve.

The bite on a dropshot is unlike many other techniques. You can get that tell tale thump, but more often than not, I find the bites to be very light. Sometimes you never feel a thing, but the rig feels funny when you go to move or shaky it. If this happens, set the hook.

By the way, this isn't a texas rig or a jig. You don't need a big hook set. Usually lifting the rod up and reeling in is good enough to stick a fish with the fine wire finesse hooks like the Gammy DS/SS.

For baits, small, straight tail worms are my favorite (I love Chomper's 4" DS worm). I also like small Zoom Flukes and other small minnow imitating baits. But never limit yourself to what you're "supposed" to use. Fish it with whatever kind of plastic you like. I've caught fish on a DS with creatures baits and even Senkos. For the colors, use what you like in other plastics. I personally like watermelons and green pumpkins for most of my baits, but will use white or pearl or shad colors with my minnow imitating baits.

BB
Old 06-24-11, 11:12 AM   #3
Mumpy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Thank you BB144. I'll post tomorrow with Pictures! Everyone likes Pictures, hehe.
Mumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 01:13 PM   #4
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I will agree with BB, but add a couple of things.

If your rod is not very sensative, make sure to have your fingers on the line. There are times when it feels like nothing more than weeds. That being said. If you do feel a light thump, don't be in a hurry to set the hook. Sometimes, this thump is the fish nipping the tail and not getting the entire bait in their mouth. Usually, The longer the baits, the more you have to wait.

There is no magic length for a leader. There are times where I will go down to 3" and some times when I will use 24". Don't be afraid to play with it.

I don't think there is a single plastic that can not be used for DS.
Old 06-24-11, 01:18 PM   #5
Bassboss

IMO, the most important of drop shotting, is keeping the weight on the bottom. When you shake the rod tip, use a semi slack line, and just sake the bait. You don't want that weight lifting off the bottom. My favorite drop shot bait in cold water is Jackall cross tail shad. In warmer water, and a positive mood, a 5" senko wacky rigged s great. When they're in a negative mood in warm water, a zoom finesse worm works well.

When fishing a drop shot, cast it out to what ever structure or cover you wish to fish, let it fall straight down on a slack line. Let it sit for a couple seconds. Giggle the rod on a semi slack line.. just loose enough to prevent the weight from getting off the bottom. Let it sit for a second or two, and drag it slowly, stop it and giggle. Keep doing this until it's away from the cover or structure. Wind it back up fast, and toss it back out, and repeat.

Fishing a senko is a little different. I like to fish it 15 inches or so about the weight. In between drags, let it drop to the bottom on a semi slack line, and lift it back up slowly. let it drop back down.

I'll add that when the the fish are in warmer, water, and in a more positive mood, I'll opt for something like a jig, or a big worm.

The bite will feel "different." It could be a tap, tap, like it would with a worm. Or could just be pressure, a mushy feeling, or a tug.

What ever it is, set the hook. If their's no fish on the other end, what's it matter? I could have been a 10 pounder.

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps!

Last edited by Bassboss; 06-24-11 at 01:26 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 04:10 PM   #6
islandbass

Click on the link below and I posted something about the drop shot in the third post.

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ight=drop+shot
Old 06-24-11, 04:21 PM   #7
Bassman34
BassFishin.Com Member

Great advise fellas, i too had questions on this. during our last weeks local fishing tournament (which i won) i fished the drop shot rig and never had a dang bite on it, even tried several different worms, senko's, etc, i then went to a weightless wacky worm set-up & using my partners words he said "that wacky rigging is deadly". im glad the wacky rig worked out but all night i was confused as to why the drop-shot yielded not a single bite. it was my 1st time using it & i had even watched kevins video on the how too's.
Bassman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-11, 04:23 PM   #8
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
The bite will feel "different." It could be a tap, tap, like it would with a worm. Or could just be pressure, a mushy feeling, or a tug.

What ever it is, set the hook. If their's no fish on the other end, what's it matter? I could have been a 10 pounder.

Just my 2 cents, hope this helps!
Honestly, this is the one part I disagree with. I have seen too many get trigger happy on setting the hook only to pull back half a bait.
I agree that it could be a hawg on the end, but it might not have the whole bait yet.
Old 06-24-11, 07:56 PM   #9
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
Honestly, this is the one part I disagree with. I have seen too many get trigger happy on setting the hook only to pull back half a bait.
I agree that it could be a hawg on the end, but it might not have the whole bait yet.
Perhaps I wasn't to clear....

If you get a different feeling, and keep on feeling the feeling for 2 or three seconds.... then set the hook.

I didn't mean to imply that you should set the hook as soon as you feel it. Like fishing with just bout any other bottom contact bait.. give it some time to get it in its mouth.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.