Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-06, 03:53 PM   #1
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Beatin' the bank

Unfortunately I don't have a boat, so I usually fish small lakes (20-50 acres). I recently found a new lake about 20 minutes from my house. It has tons of stumps, some laydowns, and aquatic plants. Several people have told me they have caught 5-10lbers in the lake.

So anyway, I went to the lake and two guys just put in an 8 foot pond boat with trolling motor. They circled the lake casting spinners and cranks at the shore. They were on the water for about an hour. They didn't catch anything (nor did I). The air temperature was 55 and I'm sure the water temperature was no warmer.

Why do so many people think the best way to catch bass is to beat the bank. It's frickin winter. I couldn't stop thinking that if I had their boat, I sure wouldn't be fishing shallow water (<6ft). The lake is probably about 15+ft deep. I think many people catch a lot of bass in the spring beating the bank, so they think that is the only way to bass fish.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-06, 03:56 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Its a comfort zone. There are fish on the bank any time of year, their numbers and activity just wanes in the winter - but they know that bass are there. When fishing deep water structure, its a lot harder to feel comfortable that bass are seeing your lure.
Old 01-08-06, 10:44 PM   #3
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL
Its a comfort zone. There are fish on the bank any time of year, their numbers and activity just wanes in the winter - but they know that bass are there. When fishing deep water structure, its a lot harder to feel comfortable that bass are seeing your lure.
I like that, COMFORT ZONE You also may find that the fish aren't deeper at all. If there is no structure or cover deep, then they won't hang out in the middle. I have been fishing a 250 acre lake that is about 23 feet deep at it's deepest. It's 10 deep all the way around the lake vegetation. There is NO structure or cover away from the shore. I cross the lake all the time, and never pick up anything on the fishfinder. All of the fish are deep in the vegetation, along the shore. Each body of water is different, but if there isn't cover or structure the bass won't hang out anywhere like that for long at all.

Lizards
Old 01-08-06, 10:50 PM   #4
zooker

agree with lizzy -ya found there winter pattern by the way- there is times when the fish are in inches of water or suspending mid lake..

i am just wondering when the jon boat will be sold inlou of a big fat glass bass rig..

zooker
Old 01-08-06, 10:58 PM   #5
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
agree with lizzy -ya found there winter pattern by the way- there is times when the fish are in inches of water or suspending mid lake..

i am just wondering when the jon boat will be sold inlou of a big fat glass bass rig..

zooker
The winter pattern, is ya gotta hit them on the nose with the bait, in the nasty stuff. At least that's the only thing I've found to work so far. Doubt I'll ever sell the old Fishermarine, it's a great boat. I'll either keep it or donate it to my dad. As for the big fat glass bass rig, well it's on my mind, not in my wallet at the moment.

Lizards
Old 01-09-06, 06:14 PM   #6
bass kicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

we cant fish bass now and if we could it is hard through the ice

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.