Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-06, 12:57 AM   #1
LoneStarAngler07
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07
Default Spro Frog

well i was looking at the spro frog, by dean rojas...i been following him on the bassmasters tour...and so i looked into them...has anyone ever used one before and if so...are they effective in the fall?

Old 07-13-06, 07:01 AM   #2
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

me and a 14 foot gator agree that they are EXTREMELY TOUGH! Strong hooks, rugged body, strong tassle legs, the left bronzeye ended up scratched, but after having that big of a gator hooked up for 45 minutes, I can't complain about that being the only damage.
Old 07-13-06, 09:37 AM   #3
mymomisbecky

personally, i wont buy any other frog in that style anymore except the spro. Its built so much better, the hooks are great, and it bobs up and down on the retrieve. its far superior to like the moss rats, etc... I wouldnt think twice about spending the extra couple bucks. its worth it
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 10:13 AM   #4
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I've never had much luck with frogs, and I've tried them several times too....??? Maybe it's the fishing pressure, or my choice in locations or time of day, who knows, but then again, I've rarely had more than 5 or 6 fish on topwater baits of any kind in one day.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 10:21 AM   #5
mymomisbecky

there are some pretty tried and true things to know for topwater.
cloudy days are best if you want to work topwater during the day, usually.
in ultra clear lakes, where bluegill are suspending in the water column the topwater will work, the bass will come up in the clear water to get it.
typically speaking, nights and mornings, or the hour before dusk, and during sunrise etc are peak times on most lakes.
But with the frogs, I use them at all hours of the day, because the weeds provide shade, and cover for the bass, and they will be in there all day. its just luck of the draw sometimes though.
Old 07-13-06, 05:02 PM   #6
pig n jig

The spro frog sucks.I bought the stupid thing, had several bass blow up on it, but often, I would lose the fish.Do your self a favor and go buy the Scum frog trophy series frog.If you want a spro frog send me a trophy series frog$4.99 and I will trade you a $7.99 spro frog.The moss mouse is a great bait as well.Scrap and Joe S. here at the site recommended them, I caught alot of fish with the little white mouse, just sharpen the hook and slightly open the hooks up on them. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 05:09 PM   #7
pig n jig

I forgot to mention why the spro frog sucked.The body is too thick on it, it does not allow for a good hookset that you will get when using a scum frog.If you have them in your area, open them up and feel the difference between the two.Bobbys perfect frog is also a good frog.Of course I learned a short cut to that brand of frog, I asked Rebbasser which frog he uses. P N J
Old 07-13-06, 05:40 PM   #8
ToPwAt'R GuY

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig
The spro frog sucks.I bought the stupid thing, had several bass blow up on it, but often, I would lose the fish.Do your self a favor and go buy the Scum frog trophy series frog.If you want a spro frog send me a trophy series frog$4.99 and I will trade you a $7.99 spro frog.The moss mouse is a great bait as well.Scrap and Joe S. here at the site recommended them, I caught alot of fish with the little white mouse, just sharpen the hook and slightly open the hooks up on them. P N J
I agree with pig n jig. You cant get good hooksets with them.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 05:59 PM   #9
mymomisbecky

thats a problem with all frogs, but they land belly down, so bend the hooks up about 15 degrees away from the body and problem solved...
The way I figure
20 blow ups total on spro vs 12 on another bait. even if i lose 25% of the spro hookups, which I dont, Im still coming out ahead.
We all have opinions and ive noticed a huge difference in amount of strikes since switching. im sure you have had problems with me, understandable
Old 07-13-06, 08:06 PM   #10
Bender

I don't like it so far, only fished it for 2 hours early last Friday morning. No strikes or anything. In thee meantime my brother had 2 keepers with a popR and a sluggo. I threw that thing everywhere in and around the pads and docks.
On another occasion my father-in-law tried one on a good top-water lake with no strikes. He switched to a Phat Phrog (sp?) and caught many fish.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 09:44 PM   #11
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Lose the frog, and throw this Texposed, and hold on.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

Lizards
Old 07-13-06, 09:58 PM   #12
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule

Lizards
does it catch those "bigger" lizards???
Old 07-13-06, 10:11 PM   #13
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodman_Rob
does it catch those "bigger" lizards???
rotflmao. I bet it does, but I don't want to find out personally.

Lizards
Old 07-14-06, 04:01 PM   #14
Gunny BBS
BassFishin.Com Member

Here is the trick to the Spro Dean Rojas frog, cut the legs down to only 1 inch long. You will see a huge difference!! Trust me, if some of you have them and don't want them let me know I'll take'em all!!!!! They are money in the bank!!!
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue
Cooks Go to Tackle Systems
HeavyCover.com
Gary Yamamoto Cust Baits

Gunny BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 04:07 PM   #15
crankybait

and what would cutting the legs do? just out of curiosity... im owndering what the difference would be.
Old 07-14-06, 04:13 PM   #16
Peter Griffin
BassFishin.Com Member

I dont know what that would to, but I have heard Rojas cuts his down that short.
Old 07-14-06, 04:18 PM   #17
pig n jig

Cranky, the tassel strands are too long from the start, they kill the action of the frog legs when they are so long.Gunny,cutting them shorter was the first thing I did after tieing it on and fishing it.I still didn't like it and for those of you who are content with 25% hookups, have fun missing them . I averaged 99.9% hookups with the scumfrog.The fraction from 100% came when a bass blew up on it an knocked it in the air, but once the frog landed on the water a fish boiled on it and took it down.Whether it was the same fish I am not sure.P N J
Old 07-14-06, 04:23 PM   #18
Fishing4Soup

I have never used a spro frog before, but the scum frogs are much cheaper and they work extremely well. I'd recommend the popper version. The one problem with the scumfrogs are that the hooks aren't too sharp. I had to go out and get a hook sharpener for it.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-06, 05:38 PM   #19
crankybait

scum frogs look much mroe detailed... i should get both and compare. now i think ill go see if the lawn needs mowing...
Old 07-14-06, 07:06 PM   #20
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

you couldn't pay me enough to throw ANY frog in a tourney or even fun fishing for that matter.there are so many other baits that will do the job much better than a frog.the bite to hookup ratio is just too poor for me to waste money or time throwing one.JMO
Old 07-19-06, 07:07 AM   #21
keithdog

I just started fishing with the frogs having bought both the Spro and Bobbies Perfect Frog. Havn't had much luck with either, but from what I've read about these baits is that your hook up ratio will be better if you wait untill you feel the weight of the fish on your line before setting the hook. I did try the Buzz Frog made by Yum last weekend and the bass tore it up. They really went nuts over that frog rigged texas style and just reeled slowly to swim it back to the boat.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 04:38 PM   #22
cullin8s

Man this is the worst frog bashing i've ever seen, I guess all the money i've won on the spro frog was monopoly money and I didn't notice lol. Seriously I love that frog, and its quite effective, and i've fished every frog I can get my hands on, and its had the best Bite to catch ratio for me. I trim the legs about 3/4" shorter than they come, that is only to make it easier to walk, has little or nothing to do with the hooking ratio. Long 7' heavy rod, 65 lb braid and a black spro frog, like campbell's soup baby mmm mmm good.

If anyone hates their spro frog, and wants to trade for custom paint let me know.
Old 07-23-06, 12:45 AM   #23
bassking22

Go to BPS and buy the forg/mouse kit cuz its a great deal!
Old 07-25-06, 01:10 AM   #24
texasnitro

I used that frog yesterday fishing ontop of some grass clippings and moss on the golf course lake and i had about 20 hits and hooked up with 13 of them. The frog is very good it and i recommend it.
texasnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-06, 01:31 AM   #25
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardsrule

Lizards
Are they really floatin"? I'm looking for some kind slow retrieving baits when buzz frog doesn't work well with steady retrieve.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.