Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-09, 02:17 PM   #1
Lilmoosecountry
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Smile Save Bristol Bay!!!

How is everybody been doing. I've been very busy as of late. Hope the fishing going is good. I have gave up & sold all the bait gear. Many who know me, know my other love is Fly Fishing. Lately gear chucking just Borred me to death. I am a 3rd generation fly fishermen. So i gave it all up & went back to my routes. Still catching bass via Fly Rod only. Been guiding the MO & Selling tackle on Ebay as of late as well. I want you guy's to read this website. No it's not a bass fishery. But what is happening in Bristol Bay could happen at your Bass fishery if Mines like this try to get away with it in Alaska. Open pit mining ruins watersheds. There is nothing good to come from this mine at all. Except the destruction of one of the last great Salmon runs in the world.http://www.savebristolbay.org/site/c...GlF/b.2000555/
Old 08-29-09, 01:06 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd be very interested in finding out who is behind that website. I'm definitely an environmentalist, but I'm also an anti-professional corporate extortionistist too. I don't believe anything I read on the internet until I know who wrote it.
Old 08-31-09, 12:59 PM   #3
Lilmoosecountry

Trout Unlimited
Old 08-31-09, 01:10 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Quite frankly, open pit mining has been hugely beneficial for bass fisheries. Thousands upon thousands of pits have been stocked with Largemouth Bass and other wildlife, and done very well.

Just a rebuttal of that point. As to the rest... I'm skeptical, but open-minded.
Old 08-31-09, 02:46 PM   #5
Lilmoosecountry

Open pit minning kills water sheds. Simply put there is nothing good that will come as a resultof this mine. Salmon is a renewable product. Rock is not. When the mine is copmpletely tapped of ore. When the salmon are all dead the people of bristol bay will nothing to fall back on. Salmon is there way of life. If it is protected it will last way longer than that mine could possibly produce. I am a former Exsplosive Eng. I worked for a very big mine in KC area. Caughing rock dust hurts & does not go away. Lets face it it will just make Alaska look UGLY!!!

Last edited by Lilmoosecountry; 08-31-09 at 02:53 PM.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 02:49 PM   #6
Lilmoosecountry

Here are pictures of Damge being done to water table. Legally by law that waste is supposed to be collected. Not just pumped like that. http://www.renewableresourcescoaliti..._of_mining.htm
Old 08-31-09, 04:12 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmoosecountry View Post
Open pit minning kills water sheds.
Correction...it may kill some water sheds, whatever "kill" might mean. I gave you a situation where it neither "killed" anything, nor proved to be un-beneficial. Frankly, the whole attempt to drag bass fishermen into a fight to help a bunch of recreational salmon fishermen take on the mining industry was dishonest. If you want to ask them to support your cause because mines are bad, or maybe because they like salmon too, etc. that is a reasonable argument. But please don't pretend the mining industry is going to come kill our bass fishing. Where I'm from, we get excited over the digging of another mine, and the future fishing prospects it will bring.

Quote:
Simply put there is nothing good that will come as a result of this mine.
So miners having jobs isn't "good?" Imagine yourself typing your posts in a world with no gold, copper, silver, etc. You couldn't, because that's what your PC is made of. Stop being hypocritical...metals have to come from somewhere. This smacks of NIMBY syndrome.

Quote:

Salmon is a renewable product. Rock is not.
Oh boy...you just used the "r" word...so at this point, I'm supposed to be a good little Nazi (that'll be next) and stop arguing. Next, you'll be arguing "Stop the Mine....for the children..."

Quote:
When the mine is copmpletely tapped of ore...
...then the miners will move on and leave you alone.

Quote:
When the salmon are all dead the people of bristol bay will nothing to fall back on. Salmon is there way of life.
I don't know about that. It sound like some of them may be miners as well. You know, it's funny how the Alaskan fishing industry will scream bloody murder when someone tries to regulate how many fish they can harvest. However, they have absolutely no problem whatsoever offering to restrict what other industries can do.

Quote:
If it is protected it will last way longer than that mine could possibly produce.
Nah...me and my Conservative buddies are busy melting your glaciers, so pretty soon, the Salmon will have to evolve and grow legs to travel up the dry creeks and streams.

Quote:
I am a former Exsplosive Eng. I worked for a very big mine in KC area. Caughing rock dust hurts & does not go away.
I'm pretty sure the only people who will be "caughing" will be the mine workers, and since I'm also pretty sure we abolished slavery in 1863, they can buy good dust masks with their $50/hr. paychecks.

Quote:
Lets face it it will just make Alaska look UGLY!!!
Okay, you got me there..5,000 of Alaska's 365,000,000 acres will be ugly. You win. We'll just have to Photoshop those parts out of our panoramic views. Anyone see JB?!?!

Moose...I love the outdoors, and do my best to keep it clean and pretty. However, as much as I do not try to keep it for myself. Other people have to eat too.
Old 08-31-09, 04:42 PM   #8
Lilmoosecountry

Angry

Nope i am as conservative as they come. But that there is little liberal that comes out when it comes to protecting fishing waters of all types all rivers, lakes, creeks you name it. It's not just about fish. It's about providing clean water. It's about more than that. I see you must be apart of the industry that i left behind many years ago. So your Ok with the use of cyanide in minning. You must think this does'nt perpose a problem. Well it will. It will leach into the water table. Hell there not even containing the slurry for there cores as provided in the last pictures provided. Miner lung or Black Lung as it's called is no laughing joke. Your chest feels like it's getting sandblasted. Yes you where masks but at some point in every day your going to be exsposed to it. So go ahead & paint a pretty picture of it. But the truth it's an ugly disaster. Go ahead aan joke about this. There is not one major company in the fishing industry that's going along with minning company. Looks like allot of support.http://www.savebristolbay.org/atf/cf/{E729E68D-22F3-4596-9503-54FE676F2264}/Hunter_Angler_Letter_Bristol_BAY_BLM_FINAL.pdf

Last edited by Lilmoosecountry; 08-31-09 at 04:51 PM.
Lilmoosecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 05:08 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Quote:
Nope i am as conservative as they come. But that there is little liberal that comes out when it comes to protecting fishing waters of all types all rivers, lakes, creeks you name it. It's not just about fish. It's about providing clean water.
Moose...I agree with you completely on everything you just said...well, except the liberal thing.
Quote:
I see you must be apart of the industry that i left behind many years ago.
See? That's just it. I'm not one of those guys who just worries about my own interests. I try to come down on the side of what is fair, even if it's not in my own best interests. I am not, have never been, and never will be part of the mining industry. (Unless you count a visit to Crater of Diamonds State Park to sit on my butt in the dirt all day hoping to find a diamond )

Quote:

So your Ok with the use of cyanide in minning. You must think this does'nt perpose a problem.
Please don't state my beliefs for me. I'm pretty good at doing it for myself. I know Cyanide is bad stuff. However, while the possibility of disaster does exist, cyanide is much less dangerous than mercury, which was used in days past. Ideally, all of the cyanide is recycled. The good thing about cyanide is that it doesn't travel up the food chain like mercury.

Quote:
So go ahead & paint a pretty picture of it.
I'm not painting a picture of anything. Miners face certain risks. Just like at my job, I risk Carrpal Tunnel Syndrome, and getting fatter than I already am, by sitting in this chair typing all day. It's the life we choose. I don't need anyone else looking out for me. And I don't even belong to a union, like the miners do.[/quote]

Quote:
There is not one major company in the fishing industry that's going along with minning company.
Why would they? It's not like the mining industry is going to help them. Maybe they should start bribing people like the oil industry.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.