Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-08, 10:11 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Fishing with Transom-Mount Trolling Motors

Let's say you're pitching to docks by yourself in an aluminum boat and you have a transom-mount tm. Do you just stay in the back of the boat and fish?
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 10:17 PM   #2
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

J- If I'm not fishing tournaments, I usually fish from an aluminum v-hull or a john boat with a transom TM. I've found three options: fish from the back, get a control arm extention and fish from the middle, reverse the control head on the TM so you can mount it at the prow with or without an extention. Also, a couple of anchors will help, as will a drift sock. But, to answer your question- yah, usually I just hang out in the back.
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 10:34 PM   #3
jooleyen

So is it a big hassle to fish from the back? Just a little different? Could you explain how to mount it at the prow?

Thanks pnj. :}
Old 07-07-08, 11:04 PM   #4
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Now that I mounted a TM on the bow, I couldn't imagine living without one. Flippin' and pitchin' is made three times as easy. You should really look into mounting one on the bow. Much more control and a lot easier manuevering.

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 11:26 PM   #5
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

BW's got the correct term- it is bow mount rather than prow mount. I must have lapsed back into the 19th century there. Different TMs have different assemblies- I have a Minnkota 50# thrust so it was no problem. Changing the direction might void the warranty on some models, I don't know...what I did was loosen the screw holding the control head on the shaft. Then, carefully turned it so as not to stress or twist the wires so that the control arm was 180 deg. from where it started. The prop is now facing in the same direction as the control arm. You may also need a wooden or hard plastic insert to fit the bow so the TM can be attached, just like at the transom. I hope that helps, I've only had one type of TM so I can't really say how another make would do. As far as fishing from the back, well, it ain't a bass boat but just being on the water makes it ok. The anchors/wind sock will help slow the boat in heavy wind, but it does take some getting used to. Good luck!
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 11:26 AM   #6
jooleyen

This trolling motor I speak of will only be used on a rental aluminum boat. I own a bigger boat with the bow mount trolling motor. So it doesn't seem that I could quickly put it on a rental boat? It's more of a thing to do with your own?
Old 07-08-08, 02:38 PM   #7
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I used to have a transom mount TM that I would use from rental jon boats.

There were two ways you could go. First you can change the head around the 180 degrees and fish from the bow, mounting up there isnt that hard, it takes a couple minutes but its not intensive.

Or you can keep the motor as is and fish from the stern, ahem, the transom. The secret to that is two fold. First, go backwards when you are fishing. Forget that the damn thing was meant to go bow first and just turn it around. Second, in those real light boats be sure to put a whole bunch of weight in the other end or else that is gonna be sitting out of the water and the wind will blow you in circles. I use to grap a couple of rip rap boulders and put them in the bow when I fished from the transom. Boat control is difficult if you dont do something like that.
Old 07-08-08, 02:40 PM   #8
WTL

One thing that nobody has mentioned about mounting in the front is the weight issue. You go faster and use less battery when you have it mounted in the transom. But when you are fishing and dont need to go fast, you can just go backwards as I said.
Old 07-08-08, 06:56 PM   #9
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
I
Or you can keep the motor as is and fish from the stern, ahem, the transom.

Fishin' from the transom, huh? That must be a pain. Fishin' from a two inch thick metal covered piece of wood and all...

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-08, 01:29 PM   #10
BassMaster_17
BassFishin.Com Member

B4 i got my bow mount foot controlled TM for my 14ft alum starcraft i just clamped my transom mount troller on the side of the boat as close to the BOW as i could get it and it worked pretty good. There is a company that makes a mount for doing just that nowadays i will see if i can find the info on it for ya.
BassMaster_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 08:48 AM   #11
Captmikestarrett

I have this trick that works very well for rentals.

Mount motor on shore side in middle of boat/ run in reverse... after you get to where you will fish that is. The alum boat will act like sail and allow you to slide down the shore line.. Too much wind and your out of luck..

Try it it works..

Capt Mike
Old 07-25-08, 12:25 PM   #12
jooleyen

I just fished from the back and turned the TM around so I was moving backwards. It worked really well. It would've been nice if the handle was down by my feet so I could jut control it with my foot instead of having to stop reeling every five seconds in the high winds.
Old 07-25-08, 12:43 PM   #13
Fishnngolfn

If you can, extend the handle and sit higher. This will allow you to tuck it under your arm. You can then rotate your whole body while still keeping two hands on the rod and reel. My brother's friend does this so I do not know how comfortable it is. He seems to have a way to make it work though.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 03:17 PM   #14
WTL

Hey BassMaster17, you have a 14 ft Starcraft? Thats what my boat is. Its a good little boat as long as the motor is running.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.