Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-06, 05:05 PM   #1
bassmar
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Red line vs Red hooks

Reading the thread about the Cajun red got me thinking. Here are the line people telling us to use red line as bass cannot see it below a certain depth. Best thing since sliced bread right! Wrong! According to the hook people we should use red hooks because bass can see them and whats more are attracted to the colour of blood etc etc. So what gives? Who is bull****ting? Anyway gotta rush. Have to respool with Cajun red and replace a couple of crankbait hooks with red gammys!!
bassmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 05:08 PM   #2
bassintxlady
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassintxlady

different materials your working with when it comes to the red hooks....line is supposed to be invisible at times....the hooks are metals....this allows them to be seen i think....they don't absorb light..they reflect it....the line on the other hand absorbs ....so there's my opinion on it....i may be wrong but it sounded good when i thought about it....lol.....i use red hooks the majority of the time ....
Old 03-07-06, 05:08 PM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I know!
My bassfishing buddies and me have been talking about that issue all day, the red on baits helps, but the line disappears...I'll give it a try on crankbaits, everyone up here says you can see the red line in the water, but who knows what the fish can see.....
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 05:21 PM   #4
LoneStarAngler07
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

Yea tons on people have started using red hooks and line...but i started using them and after a few times teh red paint starts to come off...at least on my razor sharps they do.
Old 03-07-06, 05:25 PM   #5
bassmar
BassFishin.Com Member

Lonestar- same goes for the gammy worm hooks. After a days fishing the red paint is gone and now you have bright gold hooks! Wonder what the fish think of those!!
bassmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 05:25 PM   #6
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

I know that most of the people on here know alot more than i do but i know that red is one of the first colors to disappear on deeper water. I think that red line would work good in depper water beacuase it cant be seen and red hooks would work good in shallow water because it gives the appearance of blood. just my .02
Old 03-07-06, 05:27 PM   #7
HuckFinn

Send a message via AIM to HuckFinn

I have been thinking about that myself for quite awhile. When I spoke to the line rep he said about what bassintxlady said.
The hooks are close to the surface and even tho they fade to a smoke shade the fish know that that shade means food, ie bleeding bait fish.
Don't know if I beleive him or not but I have had good luck with red hooks. I carry a red marker to touch them up when the color starts to scrape off
HuckFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 06:56 PM   #8
Futurepro22

Send a message via AIM to Futurepro22

i had 10lb cajun casting line on my crankin rod last year and didnt catch a thing on it.. then i would put the same crank on gamma line then I would catch fish.. i aint buyin no more cajun red..i dont like it..
Old 03-07-06, 07:05 PM   #9
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurepro22
i had 10lb cajun casting line on my crankin rod last year and didnt catch a thing on it.. then i would put the same crank on gamma line then I would catch fish.. i aint buyin no more cajun red..i dont like it..
I tried Cajun Red last year also and seemed to have more trouble getting strikes. I am ripping it all off and just using power pro (also used last year) and I might even try some floro for the super clear waters.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 09:56 PM   #10
lizardsrule

It's the biggest Scam since the Helicoptor lure. Hook color don't make a hill of beans difference. Bass see in Shades, it's close to black or gray in a shade. So what if the line disappears, flourocarbon is invisible already. Great makerting ploy for all the guys who buy them though. This is MY opinion only. I use braid, and have caught 4 over ten pounds with it, so why did the fish bite. Probably saw the line and decided there was a treat at the end of it LOL

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 03-07-06 at 11:22 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 11:20 PM   #11
bassinbob

Lizards lmao. I also heard as you go deeper red turns darker (black). I also caught my big bass on braided line. I think in clear water line color plays a role more so than in stained or muddy water. In clear water bass can see about 14ft, stained about 7ft, and muddy water about 4 ft. I think bass zero in on the bait when it is presented to them when they need to decide if that food is going to get away or they are having dinner.

Bob
Old 03-08-06, 01:15 PM   #12
Rodman_Rob

Red is the first color to disappear in the color spectrum under water. Its visible for the first 10-12 feet. Whether or helps or not in less than 10' of water I don't know, I've yet to see any imperical data supporting that it helps, however I doubt its going to hurt so I throw red hooks.
Old 03-08-06, 07:53 PM   #13
rrw4258

i have some of the eagle claw razor sharp hooks and love them to death. lol..., they are very sharp, though they do chip (red paint) that does not seem to affect my fishing any... also what do you guys think of painting bulllet weights black? Thanks

Ryan
Old 03-08-06, 08:57 PM   #14
WTL

My theory is that bass are both line and hook shy. Its the only theory that makes sense, that or that red has no effect whatsoever as Lizards put it. But if bass were hook shy, and if the red hooks were indeed invisible, that would explain why both red line and red hooks are successful.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.