Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-12, 09:25 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Finally, a BCS playoff system!

It's about time. Just read on line that BCS officials are nearly unanamous on installing a top 4 team playoff system to determine the national champions. It would be a 3 game series starting in 2014. Nearly everyone involved says it's basically a done deal. It's now a matter of working out where and when the games will be played. How to determine that. How to work it out without damaging the traditional bowls. Will it be played with home field on campus advantages like the NFL or would it be played in neutral locations like the NCAA basketball March Madness? Lots of things to decide, but they expect everything to be worked out and announced by July of this year.
Old 04-26-12, 11:26 PM   #2
Mac Lovin
BassFishin.Com Member

About time! I see teams go undefeated every yr and don't make it to the national championship game, but teams with one or two loses do and im like wth? Glad there going to do this makes more sense!
Mac Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-12, 11:35 PM   #3
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Its a good start but we still should have at least 8 teams. The debacle (sp?) last year that was the top 2 was sad and pathetic. No offense Bamma but Alabama shouldn't have been there (they were the better team but did lose). At least this will be a good start for a future playoff system down the road that will rival the NFL playoff system.
Old 04-27-12, 12:17 PM   #4
nofearengineer

That makes great sense.

I would not hold my breath hoping for home fields. There is no way the NCAA would miss a chance at making a fortune off cities bidding to host these games.

Though I am not a big sports fan, I must admit there is an inherent excitement level with something like the NCAA Basketball tournament. Even if you're the 64th seed, you have a CHANCE...not a good one, but a chance nonetheless. Even when someone as low as a 5th seed in a region wins, it is seen as an unbelievable outcome.

That has been missing from college football.
Old 04-28-12, 10:22 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinBandit View Post
Its a good start but we still should have at least 8 teams. The debacle (sp?) last year that was the top 2 was sad and pathetic. No offense Bamma but Alabama shouldn't have been there (they were the better team but did lose). At least this will be a good start for a future playoff system down the road that will rival the NFL playoff system.
I agree 100%
Old 04-28-12, 09:13 PM   #6
WTL

Although I have always been against a playoff, if it satisfies the critics of the BCS, a 4 team (plus 1) system is what they have to do, and its fine by me. Its a workable comprimise. 8 teams would weaken the regular season, which has always been the argument that kept a playoff from occuring.

Regarding the venue, I am a strong proponent of incorporating the existing BCS bowls into the semifinal. And in the interest of preserving the Rose Bowl tradition of taking a Pac12 and Big10 team, in the years where there are representatives from the top 4 from those conferences, there should be a contractual tiein.

There should not, however, be an automatically qualifying conference, or a rule mandating that 2 teams cannot come from the same conference. This is especially true given that several conferences are going to 14 members, it is entirely possible that one year both Oregon and USC, or Auburn and ATM, might be 2 among the top 4 and deserving to play for the championship.
Old 04-28-12, 09:21 PM   #7
Bassboss

Sounds like a new level of excitement to me!

We'll see how this pans out. Hope it works out well.
Old 04-28-12, 10:22 PM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Although I have always been against a playoff, if it satisfies the critics of the BCS, a 4 team (plus 1) system is what they have to do, and its fine by me. Its a workable comprimise. 8 teams would weaken the regular season, which has always been the argument that kept a playoff from occuring.
I'm curious why you think eight teams would weaken the regular season? Is it because 8 teams would require more playoff games, thus shortening the regular season?
Old 04-28-12, 10:40 PM   #9
WTL

If you have the top 8 still alive for the National Title in early january, then that means the importance of winning all or almost all (1-loss) of your games is diminished, especially for the power programs. In other words, Bama, OU, LSU would be in the playoffs almost any year. There wouldn't be that showdown excitement where everything is riding on a game in september, october or november, cause these type teams would still be confident of being top 8 in the polls. (for those who havent experienced the pressure-cooker atmoshere of a showdown game in person during october, it is one of the greatest thrills in sports to see. The feel isn't the same if you know you can survive to play for the trophy regardless).

4 teams is much more exclusive.

Besides, college football should never go into mid january. We already have close to too many games.
Old 04-30-12, 11:14 AM   #10
Baview_Laker
BassFishin.Com Member

It's about time, SEC Commish and ACC Commish has wanted this for a while and other conferences were scared. Bama didnt deserve, deserved more than any other one loss team, OSU lost to ISU. I know, Bama didnt win their division or the SEC title. It was no problem when OU played for title after losing Big 12 championship game.
Baview_Laker is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.