Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-10, 09:00 AM   #1
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Question About Spooling Braid

Hey Fellas: I am seeing a lot of refrences in my reading about braid, that you need some sort of backing on your reel , to prevent the line form slipping. Is this when you are reeling it in? If you are putting ther line onto a whiffled spool, can you just tie it into one of the holes? Will that keep it from Slipping?
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 09:05 AM   #2
egolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

I use backing on all my reels, not to prevent slippage, but to take up space. Typically, I will put 40lb mono on the spool, leaving room for about 100 yards of other line including floro, braid, or mono. I respool often so this saves me time and money.
Old 01-29-10, 09:18 AM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Muddy, I've used braid on both baitcasters and spinning reels. I've never had a problem with a baitcaster, and I've tied it around the spool, and throught the holes on a wiffle spool. While I haven't had any issues, I can't guarantee you won't so I would either tie if through the wiffle spool or at least put a little bit of mono backing on. However, I now use mono backing on all my braid to save money though.

I've heard slipping is a much bigger problem on spinning tackle. When putting braid on a spinning reel, I always put at least enough mono on to completely cover the spool. Or you can try the rubber band thing. Wrap a rubberband around your spool before tying on the braid. this will give you the same effect and the braid spools that come with Abu Garcia spinning reels.

BB
Old 01-29-10, 09:26 AM   #4
muddy

Thanks much
Old 01-29-10, 10:53 AM   #5
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I always weave my line through the "wiffled" holes in the spool. I go all the way around, in one hole, out the next and then tie it off like normal. Works great, no slippage and no backer, I don't like backers.

Last edited by Jrob78; 01-29-10 at 11:00 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 11:01 AM   #6
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you don't use a backer, you will be wasting a lot of money, especially on braided line. Even when you tie in the wiffles, you can have slipage if you don't back it with mono on braid. When braid gets wet, it tightens pretty good, but as it dries, it goes back to normal, leaving a loose spool. I learned this after losing a few fish when I set the hook. I spool #30 cheapo bulk Walmart line on all my reels. How much depends on if I'm making long casts or if I'm simply pitching or flipping.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 11:21 AM   #7
Jrob78

I have one reel that I use braid on, it holds about 130 yds of 50# braid. I can get PP for about $13 for a 150yd spool. I fill my reel up and it usually lasts me a whole season. I don't have to worry about getting down to a backer and I've never had a slippage issue, not once. I don't really see how this is wasting money. I doubt any of you backer guys use less than one spool of braid in a season.
Old 01-29-10, 11:54 AM   #8
CamG

OK, let me rephrase. If you fish braid a lot, you will be wasting money if you don't use a backer.

I tend to go through some braid in a years time, not because it breaks, but more because it rots after using it for a while. I prefer to have a full or close to full spool when I fish. So, if I didn't use backer, I'd be wasting a lot of braid each time I spooled.
Old 01-29-10, 12:07 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I have one reel that I use braid on, it holds about 130 yds of 50# braid. I can get PP for about $13 for a 150yd spool. I fill my reel up and it usually lasts me a whole season. I don't have to worry about getting down to a backer and I've never had a slippage issue, not once. I don't really see how this is wasting money. I doubt any of you backer guys use less than one spool of braid in a season.
To each his own guys.

But personally, I do use backing. I can get about 5 reels worth of braid out of a 300yd spool of 30lb braid.

At an over estimate of $40 per 300 yds spool, that equates to $8 per reel versus 13. And I'm using Sufix Braid, which is more expensive than power pro.

Anyways, I don't think you'd have any problems with slipping when tying through a wiffle spool. I could possibly see how the line digging in could be worse without backing though.

BB
Old 01-29-10, 12:17 PM   #10
Jrob78

Quote:
OK, let me rephrase. If you fish braid a lot, you will be wasting money if you don't use a backer.

I tend to go through some braid in a years time, not because it breaks, but more because it rots after using it for a while. I prefer to have a full or close to full spool when I fish. So, if I didn't use backer, I'd be wasting a lot of braid each time I spooled.
I see your point, I don't use braid so heavily that I need to change it out often. About the time it gets so low that I need to start thinking about re-filling, its time to hang it up for the year and get my reels serviced.

What do you mean about your braid starting to rot? I know that after some use the waxy coating starts to come off and the braid gets soft and changes color. I've heard of people using the same braid on reels for years, they just wind it off onto another reel and use the other end, never heard of it rotting. Just curious.
Old 01-29-10, 12:28 PM   #11
everettvet

I use backing for all of my reels that have flourocarbon and braid. I was recently given the suggestion to use cajun red mono as a backer. It seemed like such an obivous choice for a backer, after it was mentioned. Without the red line it can be tough to tell when you are getting to the end of your fluoro and sometimes braid. I have often wondered while fishing after several reties and break offs how much line I had left before my backing. I think this will help.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 12:52 PM   #12
muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
If you don't use a backer, you will be wasting a lot of money, especially on braided line. Even when you tie in the wiffles, you can have slipage if you don't back it with mono on braid. When braid gets wet, it tightens pretty good, but as it dries, it goes back to normal, leaving a loose spool. I learned this after losing a few fish when I set the hook. I spool #30 cheapo bulk Walmart line on all my reels. How much depends on if I'm making long casts or if I'm simply pitching or flipping.
Why wouldn't it go through the tightning and relaxing even over backing?
Old 01-29-10, 12:59 PM   #13
cassidyta

Muddy, it will. but just like a loose spool of mono, it means that you don't have it down as deep as you would with a full spool.

I use a backing for cost reason's only. I have three reels spooled with braid and find it most cost effective. Slippage has never been an issue for me.
Old 01-29-10, 01:12 PM   #14
muddy

I like the Cajun Red Idea, but I also have about 400 yds of Stren High Impact 15 lb., I was gonna chuck, guess thats what I will use, Thanks very much, this is new territory for me.I am feeling the cost savings that makes snese
I am going to Cabelas tomorrow, have a couple of bucks to spend, want to do it wisely

now to learn the double uni Knot!
Old 01-29-10, 02:31 PM   #15
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
I see your point, I don't use braid so heavily that I need to change it out often. About the time it gets so low that I need to start thinking about re-filling, its time to hang it up for the year and get my reels serviced.

What do you mean about your braid starting to rot? I know that after some use the waxy coating starts to come off and the braid gets soft and changes color. I've heard of people using the same braid on reels for years, they just wind it off onto another reel and use the other end, never heard of it rotting. Just curious.
That is what I mean by rotting - not so much rot as it is frays and losing the "new" look. IMO it is easier to break when it gets in the condition as the abrasion resistance is all but gone. Never thought about respooling to another reel, I suppose that would work as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Why wouldn't it go through the tightning and relaxing even over backing?
I believe Muddy answered this. My main reason is this - have you ever tried to get a deep backlash out of Braid? It can be terrible!
Old 01-29-10, 02:37 PM   #16
Jrob78

Quote:
That is what I mean by rotting - not so much rot as it is frays and losing the "new" look. IMO it is easier to break when it gets in the condition as the abrasion resistance is all but gone. Never thought about respooling to another reel, I suppose that would work as well.
I actually like it when it gets like that, its much more supple and seems to cast better. I don't like brand new waxy braid. You do have to watch out for frays though.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 01-29-10, 04:01 PM   #17
bassinbob

I've had the same PP and Spiderwire on a few reels for 4 yrs. Never any problem with either of them. I don't use backing but I might start. I am respooling this winter though. So all that old line will serve as backing.
Old 01-29-10, 04:09 PM   #18
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post

Wow, that is a first. I have been using braid for about 4 years on one rig and this stuff is still strong. However, I can agree that one line, Spiderwire fusion did fuzz up and wear, but not stealth or power pro. What brand did this? I'd like to stay away from it.
Old 01-29-10, 04:18 PM   #19
egolfer
BassFishin.Com Member

I like the cajun red idea on floro rods!! Everything in this thread can be translated for mono or floro. I use only Power Pro and if it is good condition by the end of the season, I spool onto an empty spool to save it for the next season. I only use the brain spring through fall, so when winter comes around, I take off the braid and put on floro or mono. I will use the same braid again in the spring. I think the heavier braids last longer too. The thinned diameter appear to wear faster.
Old 01-29-10, 04:28 PM   #20
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Wow, that is a first. I have been using braid for about 4 years on one rig and this stuff is still strong. However, I can agree that one line, Spiderwire fusion did fuzz up and wear, but not stealth or power pro. What brand did this? I'd like to stay away from it.
Some people (by some I guess I'm refering to me) change string probably more the necessary. Although, I personally wouldn't be confident in my line if I didn't.
Old 01-29-10, 04:47 PM   #21
BigBassin144

The Cajun red mono is a good idea. I have (not on purpose) used some Stren in High-Vis yellow. works just as good.

BB
Old 01-29-10, 06:05 PM   #22
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
The Cajun red mono is a good idea. I have (not on purpose) used some Stren in High-Vis yellow. works just as good.

BB
A few wraps of electrical tape could also be used as a visual indicator.

-Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 06:18 PM   #23
BassBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by egolfer View Post
I use backing on all my reels, not to prevent slippage, but to take up space. Typically, I will put 40lb mono on the spool, leaving room for about 100 yards of other line including floro, braid, or mono. I respool often so this saves me time and money.
That's what I do but with 17-20lb mono as backing. Sure saves lot of fluoro and braid!
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 09:05 PM   #24
Dusty1776
BassFishin.Com Member

I have used power pro for years on both casting and spinning reels. I use painters tape on the spools to keep the braid from slipping or use 10 pound south bend mono (2 bucks for 500 yards or so) as backing.
I don't have a problem seeing the end of the braid and mono, braid is mostly red.
I also respool my smaller reels with the used braid.
I start with new line on my salt water stradic and move the line down to UL pan fish reel.
Dusty1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 07:58 AM   #25
muddy

I got the Cabelas si+, 50 lb test/150 yd spools . They were on sale for 12.99, I had an in house cupon, from the store flyer : got both spools for 9.99 each. I am up in the air about backing on the Record, it has a Whiffle spool, so the wetting and drying will go on backing or not. I will tie it through the whiffle spool holes and give it a go. Thanks for all the input and thanks for the heads up about not wrapping this line around your hand to pull out snags, you fellas definitely helped me avoid injury

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.