Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 09-03-15, 07:47 AM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Late summer/early fall

What does it mean to you as a bass fisherman? For me, it is possibly the most productive time of the year, although true fall is a close second. This time of year, I have my best top water action. Walking baits like the Zara Spook, and Jitterbug can be killer. Popper when the water is calm, and buzz baits for sure. Spinner baits are also a key lure for me at this time of year, fished around and through any kind of cover. Pitchin creature baits into heavy grass is the third bait I'll be using. We have tons of milfoil and lily pads in our natural Midwest lakes, when the state hasn't sprayed them early on. I'll use this technique especially mid day and during full sun. Frog baits also get the nod anytime there is surface cover, but I have to admit, I've only had one blow up on a frog the past two years. Can't understand that. But I still try it. And I'll be working crank baits around submerged cover for sure. Some of my biggest bass have come off crank baits as fall nears. I don't use stick baits or other slow presentations much this time of year as the bass are becoming more aggressive as fall and winter approach. So I take advantage of that and keep moving with faster working baits. Work for me.
I know a lot depends on what kind of water you fish, so what's your plan of attack for this time of the year?
Old 09-03-15, 08:22 AM   #2
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

One of my favorite times to fish. Top water is my first choice. Poppers are my first choice followed by frogs.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 08:53 PM   #3
mikechell
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I live in Florida. What is this thing you call "Fall"?
Late Summer starts around November and by December we have Winter, which averages 50 degrees F or higher.
When we get down to those temps, top water fishing is an all day long trip. Most of the water here is no more than 12 feet deep, and cool days bring the bass up quicker.

Right now, it's still hot, and shade is the key. Find shade, find fish.
mikechell is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.