Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-07, 10:16 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Another Rod Post

I've made a couple of posts about choosing a rod in the last month. I have a super hard decision.

Should I get a St.Croix Avid ($160.00) (I REALLY like the feel and handling) in 6'6"MH mainly for soft plastics, or an Airrus Co-Matrix?($100.00)

Should I get a St.Croix Avidin 6'6"M for treble hook lures, or an Airrus Co-Matrix?

I don't which one to get for which technique. The reason I'm questioning is because I've read that the Airrus is not on the light side, and lighter is more sensitive right? On the other hand, the Avid feels like the lightest rod I've ever held.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 10:27 PM   #2
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Between this and your last post about number of rod guides equalling quality, we're all confused!

I asked a custom rod builder about guides, and got a technical answer, but basically the more guides equals better rod 'rule' is dead wrong. Each rod needs to have it's own set of guides matched to it, depending on the backbone of the rod, type of guides all the way to handle length and more.

Weight should certainly play a part in sensitivity of a stick, but you can dispel that by looking at such tools as Megabass rods, some of the heaviest sticks out there with all of the pretty stuff hung on them!

Hopefully someone more knowlegable than I can come along and let us know, and not have to hear more incorrect rubble out of people who don't know. Not sure if there is a good rod builder on this board or not who can chime in

I still maintain that balance of a rod, which can be obtained through a weight system if need be, and quality of materials/craftsmanship will take a rod a long way, but you'll never know by simply reading a spec sheet.

If light is what you want, look at the Daiwa Light and Tough series, got the wormin/jiggin 7 footer and it's definately light, or perhaps the Kistler heliums, but don;t get caught up in what others say, or like, get your hands on some sticks and see for yourself!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-07, 11:34 PM   #3
bassinbob

I would say the lighter rod for treble hooks and the heavier rod for plastics. The lighter rod because you probably will be casting much more than with the plastics. The plastics you probably would work slower so the weightg isn't really important, unless you are going to be using that rod all day long. But for really light and sensitive that could handle both jobs go with the Kistler like dampeoples said.
Old 04-18-07, 11:47 PM   #4
jooleyen

Thanks guys. Thanks dampeoples for calling the guy and finding out for me. I'm slowly making up my mind on what I'll get.
Old 04-19-07, 12:11 AM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
Should I get a St.Croix Avid ($160.00) (I REALLY like the feel and handling)
There is your answer right there. If you can swing it, go for it.
Old 04-19-07, 12:43 AM   #6
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
There is your answer right there. If you can swing it, go for it.

Jools,

Please! Buy the two Avids. You'll rarely find so much rod for the price.
Be certain to mail in the warranty cards as well.

NOW JUST DO IT!!!

Uncle Fly
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 09:28 AM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The St Croix, AC66MM is the rod for the cranks/trebble baits. I have one and it's plain old phenomenal. I would also go with a 6'6" MH Fast tip for you worms/jigs/anything other than trebble baits. Now I can't honestly say anything good or bad about Airrus, because in the ST Croix's I have found the Happy place, so I see no need to keep buying different rods. ST Croix are,
1. Very Lightweight
2. Extremely Sensitive.
3. Great Warranty
4. My rod brand of choice

Understand however that you are still awful new to fishing. You can try out all different types of rods/reels in the next 50-100 years and find your happy place rods and reels. There are lots of brands out there, and everyone has their favorite. Quit worrying so much about it, and buy it. You might want to check out ebay, where I have bought a couple of brand new rods for less money than I could find anywhere locally. It's the same with line, baits, hooks, trolling motors, and on and on and on. Bass fishing is about personal preferences. When you find what you like, then use it till someone proves you wrong about one thing or another. Usually when someone gets outfished by another person they go get the baits that the other person is using. But many times it's not the bait it's the placement of the baits, and the presentation that is the difference. The rod and reel will help some, but knowing where and how to present your baits is by far the most important thing about bassing. So quit straining your brain over which brands, and start "STRAINING YOUR BRAIN OVER WHERE THE BASS ARE AND HOW TO GET THEM TO BITE". Class dismissed.

Lizards
Old 04-20-07, 09:43 AM   #8
jooleyen

Thanks Lizards. I'm straining my brain over both. Double Strainage.
I have money, but... I don't know. I think I'll get... I don't know. We'll see. I'm sure that whatever I get, I'll wonder if I should've got the other one.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.