Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-08, 12:41 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Computer security

I was wondering what recommendations I might be able to get regarding computer security software. My subscription to Bitdfender is soon to expire and I thought I'd see if there were those who are knowlegable in this sort of thing who may suggst something better before I resubscribe. I am FAR from being a comp geek! I also am using Webroot Spysweeper.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 12:53 PM   #2
JB

I'd get a free download of AVAST or AVG, both work well and free.

Also get a free download called Malwarebytes.org, get defense for that pesky xp2008antivirus trogan that has hit so many.

Spybot Search and Destroy is free and a good one too

I run avast, it updates daily and gets most of my virus's, and the malwarebytes gets the rest .
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 01:10 PM   #3
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

only thing about changing is you have to make sure the old product gets completely removed before installing the new. maybe doc will log on and see this, he's one of the resident computer geeks.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 01:37 PM   #4
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

For freeware AVG is hard to beat.

For spyware freeware I use ad-aware.

Lowrider is right before installing any new anti-virus make sure you completely un-install the old and restart.

AVG and ad-aware is all I use on my home pc. As long as your consious about where you go and what you download that should take care of you. No virus protection or spyware protection in the world can save you if you visit questionable sites and download anything and everthing on the net.

one more security tip for you. Password protect your PC with a screensaver timeout. After 15 minutes of inactivity your machine will lock to screensaver and cant be unlocked unless you enter the password. That is a big step in security especially on high speed machines constantly on the net.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 01:40 PM   #5
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
get defense for that pesky xp2008antivirus trogan that has hit so many.

That is a nasty little booger. User knowledge is the best defence on the net. I know it sounds corney but you would not believe how many machines I fix because someone downloaded something like that 2008 antivirus trojan because it told them to.

Download and install nothing unless your sure of what it is.
And if you get a pop up that says your computer is infected click here. Do not click there. Close it out and run YOUR antivirus and anti spyware.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 02:50 PM   #6
cassidyta

I know it sounds like a joke, but the best anti spyware I have found is superantispyware.
www.superantispyware.com

The home version has cleaned up a lot of things for me that no other software identified.
Old 12-01-08, 05:41 PM   #7
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've been using AVG 8.0 and liked it very much, but it was time for my annual renewal of $55, so I took a look at what Optonline was offering for free and went with it as it's a whole package including spyware/Malware, and a firewall in addition to the one that comes with my router for free for it's subscribers. I also use CCleaner, and Easy Cleaner.

The best security is common sense, which also should extend to ever giving out your SS#, passwords, etc.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 05:57 PM   #8
JB

You're correct Joel

In addition to the above mentioned programs I too use CCleaner its nice way to check registry problems
I also use no adware www.lavasoft.com

once you start to scan daily you can pretty much tell what sites are giving
you malware or spywar, or trogans..
I've always been amazed at smiley centrals attempt to hijack your pc with ad ware when you download the smileys.
Some music site downloads are culprits too.
Just get in the habit of running these programs after you're done surfing and dont plan on using the pc, like watching tv or something, it really keeps your pc up to speed and catches trogans before they really start slowing the pc down
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 08:20 PM   #9
Kevin
Administrator

I have a bit of expertise in this area, so I thought I'd chime in with what I think is the best solutions to computer security and general good practices:

As for an anti-malware application, you will not find a better solution than ESET's NOD32. I highly discourage the use of multiple anti-malware apps as they often conflict and can spell disastrous results if your computer becomes infected. NOD32 cannot be beat in terms of detection, heuristics, and most importantly, speed. NOD32 is so fast you'll swear it was written in machine code.

As to software firewalls, they are largely unnecessary, if and ONLY if, you use a NAT router that performs stateful packet inspection. If your DSL or cable internet provider came to your home and setup some sort of network, where they gave you a table-top router, then that is strong enough of a firewall to protect you from hackers and, more importantly, worms.

Without the use of a hardware firewall (NAT router), assuming you do not have the very latest Windows Updates, it takes only a matter of 30-60 seconds before your machine will be infected with any number of Internet worms. Malicious worms are forever part of the constant noise flowing through the Internet. A hardware router stops them cold from ever reaching your PC.

Software firewalls, such as Norton Personal Firewall or ZoneAlarm are unnecessary if you use a router. They will only cause problems and offer no additional benefit over the protection your hardware router gives you.

If you, like me, choose not to use a 3rd party software firewall, then you MUST use the Windows Firewall at all times. The Windows Firewall is excellent and does a fantastic job in conjunction with a hardware router.

Below is a list of things I do to make sure all my machines stay safe from malware and hack attempts.

• Whenever Windows Updates are released (usually on Tuesday evenings), install them IMMEDIATELY. These are released to fix security problems in Windows that have recently been found and exploitable.
  • Use a Hardware Firewall such as a NAT Router. If you are on a wireless network, make sure to use WPA encryption. WEP encryption has been hacked and your network can be infiltrated within 30 seconds by the kid next door if you're using WEP. The kid next door will see everything you do.
  • STOP USING IE6! Internet Explorer 6 is a hazard to all users. It does not have the needed security in place for today's malicious code. Please upgrade to IE7 or, better yet, Firefox 3, my favorite browser.
  • Do not allow your email applications to display HTML emails. Set your email application to only view ASCII (text-only) emails. Many viruses come through HTML-based emails laced with malicious execution code. Turning off HTML emails in your email software will prevent this.
  • Never, Ever, open ANY email attachment. EVEN if it is from a friend! If you're friend becomes infected with a virus, that virus will automatically send an email to everyone in your friend's address book, pretending to be a friendly email with an attachment. The email will often read something like, "Hey Jim, I thought I'd show you something cool I found... check it out when you get a chance.". You think you're friend Bob sent it, but he really didn't... it was the virus. Don't open email attachments unless you are 100% positive your friend sent the email and the attachment.
  • Do not visit any "bad websites".
  • Don't click links in any emails. Many links are spoofed. Instead, copy the link URL and paste it into your browser so you can be assured it will actually go to the website you see in the address.
  • There is much more you can do with some advanced knowledge.
I hope my experiences and insight can help some of you guys out. If you implement the above, I would say your chances of staying malware free is very good. Prevention is key. Malware is created these days to run silent on your system. So just because your system isn't acting wonky or slow, doesn't mean you are not infected. Practice safe computing and you'll be okay. No need to buy a Mac!
Old 12-01-08, 08:49 PM   #10
1/4 stick

Ok Kevin, Thanks for the info on security. I have a question on the router though. I have a Linksys router that is wired to my desktop, but it has wireless capability. (So I can use my laptop around the house without need of wires). is my desktop still protected since I have it wired to the router? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-08, 09:21 PM   #11
Kevin
Administrator

Yes... it should be safe. You do need to set up your router to transmit a WPA encrypted signal. Logging into your router will allow you to easily configure this. Do not use WEP encryption as it has been hacked and the kid next door WILL be watching everything you do.

The only instance where you could be exploitable is through network file/printer sharing. If you aren't sharing, turn it off!

Make sure your router's name has been changed and the PASSWORD HAS BEEN CHANGED as well. Most ISP's configure their customers routers with a default username and password, such as (user: Comcast / password: 1234). You might as well just run a line out to your front yard and post a sign saying "Access Our Network".

You definitely need to disable uPnP (Universal Plug n' Play), which is absolutely useless anyway and just highly exploitable. And make sure you disable "configuration via WAN"... this is BAD as well.

It doesn't hurt to turn off SSID transmission as well, although any kiddie-hacker worth his salt would laugh at this feeble attempt. I do it nonetheless.
Old 12-01-08, 09:38 PM   #12
1/4 stick

Cool, thanks Kevin. The first thingI do with anything I get is turn off any file sharing or any other sharing. If I got something to share with somebody I'll give them a cd or dvd.
Old 12-02-08, 09:24 AM   #13
keithdog

Thanks everyone. Very usefull info for sure. I'm sure there are many folks who could use this info. Thanks again
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 03:33 PM   #14
Bender

The only thing I can add to Kevin's tips is if you are using Outlook for email you should disable the preview pane as this automatically opens the emails you receive.
I still use an old Norton Corporate antivirus. Not sure why but it keeps saying that my definition file is 1/12/1999 rev.63. It's a very stripped down version and runs pretty quickly. I should update I suppose and have been trying to decide between ESET and Kaspersky.
Oh how I long for the days of MSDOS 6.2.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-08, 04:11 PM   #15
cassidyta

Bender, what version of Norton do you run. An old definition date is not good at all. Symantec who make Norton release new definitions daily to keep up with the viruses being created. Since some of the older versions did not support a live update feature, you may be able to go to Symantec's website and download a self extracting update file.

On the preview pane, you can also tweak the settings for what it will do when it views the message. the pane is good if you set it properly.
Old 12-02-08, 05:09 PM   #16
Bender

I ran the Live Update today and it still shows that file name. The program is really old so I guess I should update it, but I have been afraid of those memory hogs that take over your whole computer. I'd rather run without one and risk it than have everything run slowly. I'll just go get that NOD32 today.
Edit: Got it, running smoothly so far and have not noticed any loss of performance.

Last edited by Bender; 12-02-08 at 07:20 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.