Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-12, 10:54 AM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Green Fried Tomatoes

Hard freeze warning for Saturday and Sun. nights.
The tomatoes got to be PICKED!

I've never had green tomatoes fried and I have no idea of what to do with like a bushel of green ones still on the vines other than bury them. Food pantry doesn't want them, frankly neither do I but I HATE waste.

So looking for help.
Any ideas or recipes for green tomatoes?
Oh and will a totally green tomato ripen off the vine if put in the sun?
I know partial greens do but will a total green do the same.....cause then there maybe salsa in the making.

Thanks for the ideas!
Old 10-04-12, 05:18 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

set the green ones in a windwo that receives lots of sun. they should rippen. as for fried green maters, buttermilk mixed with corn meal or flour, add salt n pepper to your taste. personally i don't like em. but seen momma cook em lots of times.
Old 10-04-12, 06:11 PM   #3
joedog

Thanks John!
Old 10-04-12, 07:06 PM   #4
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Pickle them! Otherwise you can fry them. Pretty simple, just don't cut then too thin. Flour, egg wash, seasoned bread crumbs. Some oil/ butter in your favorite cast iron pan. Fry til golden brown.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 07:16 PM   #5
nobass

if you have a cool dark place you can lay them out on newsparer and cover them with news paper they will keep anfd ripen gives you a extra month or so. yes you will loose some this way you need to check 2/3 times a week
Old 10-04-12, 08:33 PM   #6
joedog

Don, Dog thanks!
Dog, you got an easy, GOOD pickle recipe? I tried a couple, a little heavy in the ingredient dept. and to be trueful, both were disappointing, literally. Got some cucumbers to. Been messing with pickling but everyone seems to want to make it more complex than I'm thinking is needed.

Don, how cool, like basement cool or like unheated room type cool? Got both.
How dark? Like no light at all dark or no direct sun light dark? This idea I'm almost guaranteeing to use!
So they get like sunny window ripe. I'll visually know they're ripe, right?
I'm assuming if I use comic pages only, they'll be sweeter.

Thanks guys again everyone.
Old 10-04-12, 09:13 PM   #7
Jrob78

Along the same lines as the newspaper, my dad always just puts his in a paper grocery sack folded closed. They ripen up great just sitting in the bag on the counter in the kitchen. He usually always had to pick them early to keep the birds off of them, before he put netting up. He did always wait until after they had started to turn red though.

I'm not a fan of fried green tomatoes myself, some people like them though. Can't hurt to try.
Old 10-04-12, 10:10 PM   #8
nobass

i keep them in the basement i have a room/closet were i place them. as far as pickleing them mr,s weges as a no cook pasckage for both dill and bread and butter pickles that wife and i both like.
Old 10-04-12, 10:49 PM   #9
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Along the same lines as the newspaper, my dad always just puts his in a paper grocery sack folded closed. They ripen up great just sitting in the bag on the counter in the kitchen. He usually always had to pick them early to keep the birds off of them, before he put netting up. He did always wait until after they had started to turn red though.

I'm not a fan of fried green tomatoes myself, some people like them though. Can't hurt to try.
X2 on the sack...that's what our family always did too. We always put a single layer in the sack, folded it closed and kept them where they got sunlight. Checked them a time or two during the week and eventually they ripened
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-12, 11:14 PM   #10
lilmule

Dunk in milk roll in flower then fry
The newspaper in a dark cellar works but do have to recheck them often can get as much as two months stored where dark and cool.They turn faster in the light.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-12, 03:28 PM   #11
3dkicker

We used to wrap them individually and put them in the back room in the basement. We'd check on them and would take them up to the kitchen when they were close to being ripe. Then they'd be placed out to ripen fully.

I'm still picking ripe ones now and don't know what I'm going to do with all mine. I've stewed a bunch with peppers, onions, and summer squash making a sauce and froze a couple batches for later.

I also came up with my own sauce (bbq type) for wings with the fresh ones I'm getting.
I blend up a couple different varieties (Roma, Cherry, and Big Boys) and mix with spices, brown sugar, etc. Then heat it in frying pan and mix in wings that are deep fried. Good stuff!!
Old 11-02-12, 10:44 PM   #12
joedog

Default First and foremost, THANKS!

Ok the brown paper bag works and works well!

Put two bags in under the kitchen sink.
Two bags on the kitchen floor out in the open but no direct sun.
Two bags in an upstairs room that gets sun all day but direct sun on bag was about 1/3 day.
I truthfully couldn't tell the difference from any location. They pretty much all ripened the same.

First reddened in like two weeks. I removed and put in sun light but not direct.
After awhile I just left rest in bags. I didn't loose a one. Now a few I think got some cold night bruising but very few.
Last ones are red as red can be and have not seen light sense harvest. But will tomorrow.
All tasted as sweet as can be.

I know, 'does this fluking idiot ever do anything simple'? Consistency SHOULD count for something!

My neighbors are happy cause I harvested a full grocery bag. And no way able to consume them all on my own. I do eat a lot though.

Anyway thanks ALL!
Your ideas served me well.
Old 11-03-12, 02:00 AM   #13
Tavery5

When I lived in the Low Country, that's an area of SC for those that don't know. There was a small restaraunt that had an interesting concept. They served two meats everyday, your choice, and you could choose 3 sides. They had some good stuff, black eyed peas, boiled cabbage, collard greens, fried potatoes, man oh man, it was good. One thing they had for a side was fried green tomatoes, they were the best thing on the menu as far as I was concerned. All of this came with a big glass of sweet tea and huge slice of buttered corn bread. All for the price of $5.25. I think the name of the place was Ms. France's Kitchen, it was in North Myrtle Beach SC.

Ken, feel like making a run over there for me and picking something up?
Old 11-03-12, 07:16 AM   #14
kennethdaysale

Sure...why not? Reminds me of a place down in Valdosta we used to frequent. Ma Halls Boarding House! Not a restaruant, not even a place of business really, just an old 3 story boarding house for the destitute. Anyway this placed housed 50-75 and the "board" part of room and board was off the jaheezy! You walk in to this giant looong room about 2 bowling lanes wide and 3 lanes long, with one long table down the center. No menu-no waitresses-no cash register, just half a dozen black women bringing big bowls and platters of the finest food in the south out to the table as fast as they could. They just found a spot on the table, put it down picked up an empty and then everybody passed it up and down the table like some kind of family reunion.From 11a til 2p that place was crawling with the strangest and most interesting crowd of people you could ever imagine, you look across the table on any given day and see the Mayor-a parolee-two cops-a tatted up biker dude-a reformed prostitute-a pentecostal preacher-a Neurosurgeon-3 college kids and some guy with an eye patch and no shirt. I was always amazed/amused at the stuff we all found to talk about and the general lack of ill-will. When you finished eating you took your plate to a huge sink and handed Ma Hall (always sitting there shelling peas or shucking corn or something) whatever money you wanted to, $3-$5-or nothing it didn't matter.
Old 11-07-12, 04:08 PM   #15
3dkicker

Picked my last bunch today. Plants were dying from the freezing temps. Got a bunch of ripe ones to cook up and a couple small bags full of green ones. Having fresh off the vine tomatoes in November isn't bad.
Old 12-03-12, 03:24 PM   #16
joedog

As I mentioned, the bagging worked.
Had my last three fresh 'red tomatoes' today.

Thank you all for the help, ideas and suggestions.

Dec. 3, 2012:

67 degrees
Fresh home grown tomatoes
No snow yet this year

Couple Bass this afternoon (maybe)....I can end the year "happy, happy" !

Anyone know who says that?
Old 12-03-12, 04:38 PM   #17
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post
As I mentioned, the bagging worked.
Had my last three fresh 'red tomatoes' today.

Thank you all for the help, ideas and suggestions.

Dec. 3, 2012:

67 degrees
Fresh home grown tomatoes
No snow yet this year

Yes I know who says that but it's actually, "happy, happy, happy"
Old 12-03-12, 06:37 PM   #18
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post

Is it followed by "Joy. Joy."?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.