Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-05, 05:15 AM   #1
scrap
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Smile Dazzled by bass in the river

Is it me or what, but i am confused about largemouth bass and smallmouth bass fishing in a river. at this time of year are they done gorging themselves and fattened up by now, or are they starting to fatten up now. i have been fishing the potomac river in western maryland for the past week, and i have not seen a hide or hair of a bass. i dont know what to do, some say they are taking topwater, some say they are on the bottom, i say, i dont know. i would appreciate any tips, comments concerning river smallmouth.
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 07:16 AM   #2
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Scrap

Dont feel bad buddy. Fall is a veru unpredictable time of the year from day to day and at times from hour to hour. My suggestion is .....I use my electronics to find the balls of shad usually located at the mouths of the coves on the points and or on the inside of the coves or feeders. They are gettin ready to fatten up for the cold temps and they normally do it on shad. 9 outta 10 times they gonna be pushing the balls of shad up into the coves or feeders where they can more easily group attack them.Start at the mouth of the cove or feeder and follow it to the inside and ifn you dont find any shad go to the next one, ifn there aint no shad aint much use sticking around.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 07:44 AM   #3
Fish On

Send a message via AIM to Fish On

Try a rebel crawfish or tube. Those work best for me in rivers for smallies
Old 10-31-05, 06:09 PM   #4
scrap

thanks Fish On, i took your advice today and used some rebel crawfish and rapala minnow, the little one and caught four bass, with three of them nice. I still have not connected with the smallmouth in the river yet. thank you for your advice
scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-05, 06:28 PM   #5
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Scrap, Fall fishing can be frustrating when the fish go out and suspend.The fish that are being caught on top water and bottom are just foraging for an easy meal.I personally I would rather die by the jig, brown in color,with a Uncle Josh little crawdad trailer in brown color. fish the dying weed edges.A suspending jerk bait is too much like work to fish all day unless your dead sticking alot, I would change to a heavy spinnerbait, small blades to match bait size and allow the bait to retrieve down where it needs to be.I hope this helps.P.S. You got my secret fall trailer, I never say I use pork trailers and will keep on saying that if asked. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.