Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-06, 03:48 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Unique Color Day

Gentleman, I am wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences where one particular unique color is all they want and contra to other situations, the change of presentation is not the key? To illustrate, I have included some examples which I mentioned in "Keithdog's" color-inquiry thread:

Although I agree that the basic menu of successful colors includes Green Pumkin/Pumpkinseed, Watermelon, Black, and sometimes a little chartreuse (especially for SM), there have been times when one particular odd color was "heads and shoulders" above the rest.

I recall a day that when I was fishing at Brady's Lake in the Pocono Mountains. My friend and I took the electric motor and worked our way to the very back of the lake which was loaded with lily pads. My friend and I both threw texas rigged ribbontail plastic worms (these were the pre-senko days). Anyway, my buddy caught a nice bass from a heavily matted log jam. Of course, while he was unhooking the fish, I threw my worm into the same spot working it the same way he worked his worm. No takers. My friend took his second cast and guess what, another bass. This exercise continued for about 10 minutes with my friend netting 4 nice bass and me catching nothing. Anyway, he was using a very unusual color (1/2 smurf blue and 1/2 silver). I "borrowed" one of his worms and finally caught a bass. This color was the only color that we caught fish with that day.

Similar to the preceding long-winded story, I have had days where Methiolate was king. The LM just didn't want the standard table fare of colors.

There have also been times when my 1/2 green and 1/2 white Strike King Tube was unstoppable and other colors just didn't produce the same numbers (in fact the other colored tubes didn't produce anything).

Anyway, my experience has taught me that the standard table fare of colors usually works. And generally, the color isn't the problem, it is the presentation or the lure (perhaps a fast moving crankbait instead of slow moving worm or tube). But, sometimes, a different color can make a big difference.

Last edited by Wishing2BFishing; 10-26-06 at 03:56 PM.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-06, 06:57 PM   #2
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

that's exactly why i carry who knows maybe 100+ different color,size and type of plastics in my boat at all times.you just happen to stumble across that one particular bait that loads the boat,and it may not work again for a year or years or never again.but you still just have to have that particular bait at all times..lmao!
i have worms that i absolutely killed them on years ago and not a fish on them since then...they still go in the boat...just because.
Old 10-26-06, 10:49 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'm with Tom-I've got about every color of the rainbow and then some in the boat-for that one time when one particular color is what they want.
Old 10-27-06, 06:16 PM   #4
rrw4258

i agree with everybody so far... im not too picky on plastics but more along the line of cranks... when i buy cranks i but at least 5 dif. colors of each and fish them all equally and which ever one produces the most i go out and by more and similar colors of and when they stop hitting those i put them away for a rainy day

Ryan
Old 10-31-06, 02:17 PM   #5
Wishing2BFishing

Anyone? Anyone? I thought this thread would be a neat post to share stories relating to instances when a particular color made the day. I guess this post was lame.
Old 10-31-06, 02:21 PM   #6
Wishing2BFishing

I guess I will reply to my own lame post. Yeah, there have been times when I had a unique color really save the day. One time, I was doin' some fishing on a local marsh loaded with fish. I had to carry my boat through the woods and into the water because there were no access points. Anyway, nothin' was really working until I threw a chartreuse spinner (Sonic Rooster Tail). If I didn't get a snag, I always caught a bass. After this experience, I ordered a bunch of these chartreuse spinners. They never worked for me again.
Old 10-31-06, 02:22 PM   #7
Wishing2BFishing

Hey Wishing, good post man!

Very truly yours, Wishing2BFishing
Old 10-31-06, 03:07 PM   #8
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Wishing, I don‘t give too many bass secrets away being as I‘m a world renown carper. Me and a friend was fishing a Danny Joe Humphrey worm t-rigged late in the afternoon many moons ago and boated thirty keeper bass. That is right (30 keepers). We ran out of that certain color and the fish stopped bitting and would not hit anything else that we would throw at them. It so happened that there was a Bassaramma in town the following Saturday with Guy Akers and a few of the old bass pros putting on an exhibition. I got my chance to speak to Mr. Akers and told him my story. I will not tell what he said, but I will tell you that I bought one thousand Danny Joe Humphrey worms at that show and I still have over 900 hundred left. Every know and then I will pull one of them 15 year old Danny Joes out of the bag and hope that I will have another day like I had back then.

Last edited by CarpMan; 10-31-06 at 03:22 PM.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-06, 03:20 PM   #9
Wishing2BFishing

Carpman, thanks for sharing your story. Interesting that we always remember that special day when a special color put up some impressive numbers. I don't do tournaments but I am always thrilled when I have an action-packed day, especially when I find that certain lure and tweek it with that special color that makes it all happen.

By the way, you never mentioned what color you were throwing . . . I guess that information is Confidential Carpman Stuff.
Old 11-02-06, 12:05 AM   #10
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I'm with Tom-I've got about every color of the rainbow and then some in the boat-for that one time when one particular color is what they want.
And one of these days, he's gonna guess which one.
Heh!
See yew Sat. AM, partner.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 02:49 PM   #11
Wishing2BFishing

I am still sad that this post didn't get many responses. I guess no one wants to share their unique color stories. JB's post w/ the invisible cream got more responses than this post. Go figure.
Old 11-02-06, 03:38 PM   #12
JB

wishn,
thats cuz i am 7 dif names on this forum, most of my reponses are from one of my 7 aliases
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 06:18 PM   #13
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
Gentleman, I am wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences where one particular unique color is all they want and contra to other situations, the change of presentation is not the key? To illustrate, I have included some examples which I mentioned in "Keithdog's" color-inquiry thread:

Although I agree that the basic menu of successful colors includes Green Pumkin/Pumpkinseed, Watermelon, Black, and sometimes a little chartreuse (especially for SM), there have been times when one particular odd color was "heads and shoulders" above the rest.

as you throughly wrote down it is truley rare that a odd ball color will come out and work well..
i have found that not all colors are created equal..every maker of baits uses a differant amount of the same basic mixes when making worms.
lets take a june bug worm, a staple color in bass fishing.
now buy zoom,bass assain,strike king,yum,or any other company lay them side by side. none of them are excatly the same. some have more flake, some have more salt, some have a differant shade of purple coloring..

does this mean none of them work? no.. they ALL will work at a giving time and place..finding said place and time is the hard part..
i have no less than 4 differant company's june bug worms. on high rock i catch more fish using zoom. where i catch more in badin on bass assain worms. on tuckertown raw hide-local company- tend to work better..
why i have no friggin clue..but it does..

zooker

Last edited by zooker; 11-02-06 at 06:28 PM.
zooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-06, 07:17 PM   #14
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
wishn,
thats cuz i am 7 dif names on this forum, most of my reponses are from one of my 7 aliases
JB, how do I know that you are really JB?
Old 11-02-06, 07:24 PM   #15
Wishing2BFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
as you throughly wrote down it is truley rare that a odd ball color will come out and work well..
i have found that not all colors are created equal..every maker of baits uses a differant amount of the same basic mixes when making worms.
lets take a june bug worm, a staple color in bass fishing.
now buy zoom,bass assain,strike king,yum,or any other company lay them side by side. none of them are excatly the same. some have more flake, some have more salt, some have a differant shade of purple coloring..
Zooker, very interesting. I never gave much thought to the fact that all colors are not equal. True, junebug for Zoom is very different then Junebug for Yamamoto. These slight nuances could make a difference. But did you ever have a time when one particular unique color (a non staple-menu color) was Da Bomb? By the way, thanks for responding to my post. I was starting to feel left out.
Old 11-02-06, 09:27 PM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
JB, how do I know that you are really JB?
call him his wife calls him steve-o....

i aint about to ask why either.she sounds mean..

have you seen my lake rports?? junebug in clear water chartruses in clear water this is NORMAL??

zooker
Old 11-02-06, 09:55 PM   #17
crankybait

color... such a pain. one day i was fishing 2 stickbaits, deadsticked. one was slower than the other because i wasn't fishing with it, but i switched and actively fished both. one was 4 inches, and a brownish color with purple flecks.another was 5 inches long, and green pumpkin with red flakes. Both were loaded with hawg sauce. only the 4 incher caught bass.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.