Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Topics for Specific Waters or Regions

Old 02-04-10, 10:45 PM   #1
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Local limits?

Various lakes and ponds here have different limits, what are some in your local area?

Locally there are 2 ponds (maybe 15-20 acres each) that have panfish/bream minimum 8" length and maximum 10 keepers, and for bass the keeper limit is 1 fish, minimum 24"... of course I have never heard of a bass over 16" being caught from either of them, probably because there are so many smaller bass, they never have a chance to grow that large size.

Then another (Hurricane Lake) has a bass limit of 18" and longer.

Most of the rest have a limit of minimum 12".
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-10, 11:25 PM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I believe most around here are 15" for bass. Don't know about a kreel limit though. Never keep for than a couple when we keep them (which isn't often).

BB
Old 02-05-10, 02:26 PM   #3
CamG

A couple of the lakes I fish have 21" Length limits for largemouths. I really wish more would be this way, as the fishing really seems to be better in these spots.

15" is the norm however.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 02:51 PM   #4
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Most places around here have a 15" minimum, but the reservoir I fish at most often has a 12" minimum. Calling Panther Lake has no minimum length, and a creel limit of 30. I guess they have a ton of small fish they're trying to control.
Old 02-05-10, 03:05 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

14'' is the normal limit here in TX (limit 5)...Alot of lakes have the slot limit (between 14-18'')
Old 02-05-10, 03:26 PM   #6
doc

Local lake has a daily limit of 4 bass
with a slot limit of 16-21

so you can keep 4 under 16 inches
or 3 under and 1 over 16 inches
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 04:50 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Most places I fish: 15" minimum 5 fish bag.

Local Pit (Blue Grass FWA) : 18" minimum, 2 fish bag
Old 02-05-10, 05:02 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Missouri is 15" minimum and Oklahoma is 14", I fish both.
Old 02-05-10, 05:22 PM   #9
everettvet

For Kentucky lake and Barkley lake on the Kentucky side it is 15" largemouth and smallmouth and 12" for spotted bass. The rest of Kentucky has a 12" size limit on largemouth. Tennessee has a 15" size limit for largemouth but 18" for smallmouth.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-10, 06:06 PM   #10
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
For Kentucky lake and Barkley lake on the Kentucky side it is 15" largemouth and smallmouth and 12" for spotted bass. The rest of Kentucky has a 12" size limit on largemouth. Tennessee has a 15" size limit for largemouth but 18" for smallmouth.

Statewide Tennesee Largemouth is 14", 12" for Spotted, and 18" for Smallmouth. Some of the lakes around here vary from those baselines but never go under.(exception would be dale hollow) Only allowed 5 fish in combination. Lots of exceptions to that rule though.
Old 02-05-10, 10:05 PM   #11
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Smallmouth- 14"
Largemouth- 14"
Walleye- 15"
Northern Pike- 24"

5 total keepers in any combination of those 4 fish, but no more than 2 Pike
Old 02-06-10, 01:03 AM   #12
screwballl

cool... seems most places have at least reasonable limits... and the 2 ponds locally expecting 24" or larger is way out of line, and considering you can pretty much drop an empty hook and catch your limit or bream means the few bass that are there are not doing their job, or not growing big enough to be able to keep the balance.
Old 02-06-10, 01:54 AM   #13
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Smallmouth- 14"
Largemouth- 14"
Walleye- 15"
Northern Pike- 24"

5 total keepers in any combination of those 4 fish, but no more than 2 Pike
Hmm that's interesting that your wildlife agency would group largies and smallies with pike and walleye.
Old 02-06-10, 07:56 AM   #14
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Hmm that's interesting that your wildlife agency would group largies and smallies with pike and walleye.

Yeah, I'm really not sure why they do that. Then again, this is Michigan. I'm not really sure why they do anything the do
Old 02-06-10, 09:56 AM   #15
bamabassman

14" limit of 5 per day on the largemouths.
Old 02-06-10, 11:21 AM   #16
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
Yeah, I'm really not sure why they do that. Then again, this is Michigan. I'm not really sure why they do anything the do
Not to get too political, but I think you're going to find that in the more liberal-leaning states (CA, OR, IL, MI, OH, and most of New England), there is a tendency of the legislatures to make a misguided attempt to "protect" the cute little fishies, rather than manage them. Add to this the common perception that all fishermen are knuckle-dragging simians who dream at night of raping the natural beauty of the land, and it just brings out the patronizing nature of these folks.

In the one case above, I can't imagine a more ridiculous idea than a 24" minimum on bass, and simultaneously an 8" minimum on panfish. Does anyone doubt there is no better way to guarantee a lake full of stunted bass who are simply out-populated by 4" panfish? Slot limits on predators, and maximums on panfish is the way to go on most waters (there are exceptions).
Old 02-06-10, 12:27 PM   #17
lilmule

Not as ridiculous as one might think ,the idea being any removed from such a small area would hurt it,therefore a very large length limit is imposed.
The difference being in that many such small ponds would have a complete restriction upon removing them(Barbersville,W.Va catch and release only).
It does give an angler hope of a trophy,but even if I caught one 24 in would return it to its home,as I normally practice catch and release when not in any T.
As for the amount of bluegills available,bass tend not to eat them once a certain size is obtained,their tall dorsal fins being or having a bit to do with that.
Best scenario is to catch a lot of gill and remove,and enjoy what bass fishing there is, to sort of practice on.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-10, 01:37 PM   #18
screwballl

Usually in the spring and fall we do a pretty good job of removing a decent number of 8-12" bream, shellcracker, bluegill, redear sunfish from these size limited ponds... otherwise I tend to go to a few other ponds without the size limits and pretty much keep anything 6" or longer for panfish or 12" or longer for bass...
Since the bass fishing has been weak these past few years, I tend to keep the smaller ones (10-16") and release the larger ones (over 16"). Since there are no shad in these ponds/lakes, the bass rely on the panfish as their main source of food, and if we keep too many large bass, there is fewer to keep the bream population level and they take over the lake thus choking out the larger bass with time as well.
Although I do occasionally see people failing to follow the rules and keep the under limit fish anyways (usually bass under the 24" limit)... there has been a few times I got the license plate number and reported them to the military SP (since these 2 ponds with those limits are on Eglin AFB reservation land).
I suspect this is why many of these ponds are so packed with bream and little to no bass: too many bass of any size removed so not enough to spawn and keep the balance. Honestly I think they need to implement a catch and release policy on many of these ponds.
Old 02-06-10, 05:13 PM   #19
cassidyta

Ours varies depending on the body of water.
The state regs say 12". Some lakes say 15"
We also have a few lakes that state no CNR on fish between 12-17" They must be kept.
Old 02-18-10, 01:56 PM   #20
lilmule

15 in for largemouth,15 for smallmouth ky lake Tn,the rest of Tn is 18 on smallmouth or above with special regs.
Ky lake however is exempt from the smallmouth reg of 18,its 15 across the board and no size limit at all on spotted bass.
As long as you are on Ky lake its 15 across the board for both ky and tn,none of the above applies elsewhere even Barkley.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.